Graphics
GTX 560 Ti 1.25GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I have a Core i7 3770K at 3.5GHz, two GTX 560 ti's (1280MB edition), the recommended TP-4800 or whatever wifi card, one SSD, a HDD 7200rpm, a HDD 5400rpm, and a DVD drive.

I was wondering if my Corsair HX650 will cut it in powering the two 560's. Upgrading the PSU is an option for me, but I just wanted to see if the one I already own would suffice or not. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I would not recommend a 650 watt power supply for this build. You will be hitting about over 600 watts I think with 2 GPU's, and when you go to add some extra drives/fan etc, that will start to rise and your system will be close to underpowering. Also, because you have selected an i7 3770K, it is an unlocked processor so you can over-clock it, meaning you are going to need more power to keep things stable. Everywhere you look, people are saying to always overkill your power supply, chose a PSU that is way over the wattage you need for the simple reasons of upgradability and safety.

Also, you get different ratings for power supplies. You can get bronze,silver,gold and platinum power supplies. The rating is the efficiency the power supply runs at, bronze being the lowest and platinum being the hgihest. Do a quick google saerch and you will get very detailed explanations. Also, a fully modular PSU is highly recommended. They are simpler to install, and are better for cable management. I still have to do more research why modular is good, but I do know its the best thing to go for.

For my build I'm choosing a Corsair AX860 modular PSU, which is a Platinum rated PSU. Im going to be using an i7 3770K and probably a GTX 680, so 860Watts is way more than I need (my system would probably be running at about 600/650 watts) but I want to be safe and sure that I'm going to be getting more than enough power, just in case the power rate fluctuates and something needs some extra juice! Plus I have more room for upgradability, if I add more fans, more had drives, more memory, then I should have enough power. If I add an extra video card however, then I probably wont have enough power for stability, but I don't plan on doing that and just getting a beast single gpu to power one monitor.

Also, I would recommend a Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD. They offer the best performance/price ratio on the market and are recommended by a lot of people. I wouldn't use a sandisk SSD, they only make good memory cards :lolno:
For the HDD, i'd recommend a WD Black for performance. DO NOT choose a WD green as they always have trouble with OSX not waking properly, and the drives shut down a lot and they are not very fast.
And, if you looking for fans, the Noctua range of fans are the absolute best for quietness and performance.

Hope this helps.

Hello, I have a Core i7 3770K at 3.5GHz, two GTX 560 ti's (1280MB edition), the recommended TP-4800 or whatever wifi card, one SSD, a HDD 7200rpm, a HDD 5400rpm, and a DVD drive.

I was wondering if my Corsair HX650 will cut it in powering the two 560's. Upgrading the PSU is an option for me, but I just wanted to see if the one I already own would suffice or not. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

According to the PSU Calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, you need a minimum of 456W, recommended 506W. In my opinion, that means your 650W PSU will be sufficient.
psucalc.png

But I shouldn't have any problems getting two nvidia GPUs up and running right? As long as I have Chimera 1.9 or higher yes?

See my concern is that I buy two gpu's and I can't even get them working....ooh what a crushing day that would be...

But I shouldn't have any problems getting two nvidia GPUs up and running right? As long as I have Chimera 1.9 or higher yes?

See my concern is that I buy two gpu's and I can't even get them working....ooh what a crushing day that would be...

I think the max you'll be hitting is 600Watts (with NVIDA's GPU boost, and with your fans and HDD's installed), therefore you should be ok. Also, because your PSU is a gold PSU, its not wasting a lot of power.

I do know that 2 cards wont work in SLI in OSX, but will work in windows. I don't know anything about Chimera, im still learning how to build my own hackintosh.

Bt they should still be recognized by osx and I shouldn't have any problems booting or anything right? From what I understand they will just be recognized as two separate cards

Bt they should still be recognized by osx and I shouldn't have any problems booting or anything right? From what I understand they will just be recognized as two separate cards

That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back