Contribute
Register

Power Management for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell/other Laptops

Power Management for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Laptops

Hi Rehabman

As you have probably seen from the other threads, I installed Mavericks on my HP Elitebook 2570p using the Clover tutorial and the HP Probook installer

I followed it to the tee but I am just curious as to whether my CPU power / speed step is working as it should.
I have a core i7 3520M (Ivy Bridge)
Lots of other threads regarding pStates show sometimes 10 or more Pstates when monitoring for other CPUs...I only appear to get 6, but is this normal for this cpu / or have I set something incorrectly along the way? For the record, I am not experiencing any error or performance issues along the way, more curious that I am using the CPU/power management to its full effect (and not unnecessarily eating away at battery life due to incorrect config)

Pstates.png

My installation consisted of copying the generated DSDT.aml over to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
I do have an SSDT.aml in the Extra folder though but did nothing else with it.
My config.plist is set to generate p and c states and not much else...
Clover configurator.jpg

Overall.jpg

IOregexlorer screenshots

IOregexplorer1.pngIOregexplorer2.pngIOregexplorer3.png

Is there anything for me to gain by generating my own SSDT file or do you reckon everything is running as it should be right now ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Rehabman

As you have probably seen from the other threads, I installed Mavericks on my HP Elitebook 2570p using the Clover tutorial and the HP Probook installer

I followed it to the tee but I am just curious as to whether my CPU power / speed step is working as it should.
I have a core i7 3520M (Ivy Bridge)
Lots of other threads regarding pStates show sometimes 10 or more Pstates when monitoring for other CPUs...I only appear to get 6, but is this normal for this cpu / or have I set something incorrectly along the way? For the record, I am not experiencing any error or performance issues along the way, more curious that I am using the CPU/power management to its full effect (and not unnecessarily eating away at battery life due to incorrect config)

View attachment 74647

That looks fine to me. The number of states you get between idle and nominal depends on luck and what you do with your computer (eg. whether OS X decides to use those states or not).

My installation consisted of copying the generated DSDT.aml over to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
I do have an SSDT.aml in the Extra folder though but did nothing else with it.
My config.plist is set to generate p and c states and not much else...
View attachment 74648

View attachment 74651

You're using Clover's generated SSDT(s).

IOregexlorer screenshots

View attachment 74652View attachment 74653View attachment 74654

Is there anything for me to gain by generating my own SSDT file or do you reckon everything is running as it should be right now ?

Thanks in advance

That all looks normal for what you're showing. One thing you might do is build AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext and load it to see if your CPU might be capable of x8.

I have the same problem, using Clover generated SSDT or Revogirl SSDT makes no difference, my lowest p-state is at 12, next is 22. I tried dropping only some SSDT tables, and drop all SSDT tables, still the same problem. What I haven't tried is switching from SMBIOS MacbookPro to Macbook Air.

I have the same problem, using Clover generated SSDT or Revogirl SSDT makes no difference, my lowest p-state is at 12, next is 22. I tried dropping only some SSDT tables, and drop all SSDT tables, still the same problem. What I haven't tried is switching from SMBIOS MacbookPro to Macbook Air.

First you need to verify that your chip is capable of x8. Not all Ivy chips are capable of it (some idle at x12). Verify by building AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext and loading it. Examine output in system.log. You will need xcode to build it. See Pike's post in SSDT forum for more information: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/91551-appleintelcpupowermanagementinfo-kext-msrdumper-successor.html

The SSDT used by clover does not behave the same as one generated and used when on chameleon.

I used to have multiple speeds, up to i think 28, or 29.

I only have 8 and 24 now, not noticed until now after reading this thread...?

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]robs-MacBook-Pro-5:~ rob$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Nov 23 13:10:42 robs-MacBook-Pro-5 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 24 ][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Nov 23 13:11:55 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 24 ][/FONT]

The SSDT used by clover does not behave the same as one generated and used when on chameleon.

I used to have multiple speeds, up to i think 28, or 29.

I only have 8 and 24 now, not noticed until now after reading this thread...?

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]robs-MacBook-Pro-5:~ rob$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Nov 23 13:10:42 robs-MacBook-Pro-5 kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 24 ][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Nov 23 13:11:55 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 8 24 ][/FONT]

The Clover generated SSDT is very different than the one generated by Pike's script. You're not getting states in between and you're not getting turbo.

The Clover generated SSDT is very different than the one generated by Pike's script. You're not getting states in between and you're not getting turbo.

So, In summary, the Clover one does not work correctly it seems..

So, In summary, the Clover one does not work correctly it seems..

Maybe it only works when running Clover? Or maybe you forgot to drop the OEM tables?

Back