Contribute
Register

Power Mac G5 interested in latest ios upgrade Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Power Mac G5 Early 2005
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone! My apologizes in advanced if I post incorrectly, I'm new here. However, I have been aware of your awesome community for a while now :) Anywho, I am an amateur photographer, and I keep hearing how Mac's and Mac OS is amazing so I derided to purchase a mac. I found a Power Mac G5 Early 2005 with a Dual core CPU with 2GHz. It has 2 gb of ram for 100 bucks. So I purchased it, and ended up finding out that it was unsupported :beachball: So my question to all of you amazing users is, is there any way to install Yosemite on this system? I couldn't find any tutorials or articles online either. Your my last hope... If install is successful, I plan on upgrading ram, cpu, and other components. Thank you for your time, have a good one!:)

I'm afraid you need to lower your expectations a little. You have a "powerMac" that uses CPUs that Apple touted as being superior to the Intel CPUs that PCs used, until one day, unexpectedly, they adopted the Intel line. They are fundamentally different. You can run OsX up through version 10.5.8. There was an overlap period when a lot of application software came in a "universal" format that ran on both PowerPC and Intel CPUs. You can probably find older software for sale.

I have such a dual CPU G5 machine with 6GB RAM and it's usable, but a bit of an antique, not up to today's speeds. It's a 32 bit processor whereas today's are 64 bit. Yosemite (OsX 10.10) is all 64 bit. You can research the issues, the PowerPC vs. the Intel macintoshes. People on this forum are mostly running fast new Intel chips in generic not-made-for-Apple hardware.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back