Contribute
Register

Power Mac G5 Intel Reloaded Edition (New Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humm... everytime I look at Clover I get the the feeling that something simple has been made very complex. I do not intend to get involved with it and will do old school Chameleon if necessary on Yosemite.

Just my two cents.
neil

Hi neilhart,

i understand what you're saying and yeh MacTester57's Clover install (great write up BTW) is very complex. Mine on the other hand is not. This i probably because i'm only using Intel HD4000 graphics, a DSDT(which is optional) and a few mandatory kexts in my Clover EFI partition. All other tweaks are done via config.plist and i am good to go. I followed this Tonymac Clover guide

My system boots in UEFI mode (29secs from power on to login screen) and presents no problems with App Store, iCloud, iMessage and Face Time (issues that are common to Chameleon). Also has a Recovery HD partition (handy for Time Machine, Disk Utility, Install OSX, etc,.) and no need to re-install kext after a version update thanks to Clover kext patching on the fly.

MacTester57 is right when he said that "it’s the way to go for every new Hackintosh!", i hope that you change your mind and apply Clover to some of those excellent mods you've featured ;)

Hi MacTester,
nice to see such a good write up. One question though. I just installed Yosemite on my Laptop (I also use Clover) by just using the original installer app from the app store.
Everything went really fine. BUT!! now Clover shows 2 partitions with the name of my Boot Partition. (diskutil shows a CoreStorage Volume, may have some thing to do with the "Partition" that's created to install from upon reboot)
Do you have this also? If not, do you maybe know a way to get rid of it?

@neilhart:

Hi neilhart, I have to say, your Casemods are AWESOME. And I actually know, why you like to stay with chameleon. But you should really give clover a try. I've used Chameleon for about 2 years and it is really simple to use, but trust me, about one day reading and trying out and you are able to switch to clover on every single one of your systems without big trouble. It's not that hard, especially when you use Clover Configurator. It's basically just carrying over the settings from chameleon to clover.
The biggest advantage is faster boot, and you don't have to worry about updates, because you can use on-the-fly kext patching.
Although i recommend trying clover from an usb to find the right settings, before you install it on your hard drive.

Hi MacTester,
nice to see such a good write up. One question though. I just installed Yosemite on my Laptop (I also use Clover) by just using the original installer app from the app store.
Everything went really fine. BUT!! now Clover shows 2 partitions with the name of my Boot Partition. (diskutil shows a CoreStorage Volume, may have some thing to do with the "Partition" that's created to install from upon reboot)
Do you have this also? If not, do you maybe know a way to get rid of it?

Hi theandy94

Thanks for the praise. No, I don't have this issue here. My installer partition was properly removed after the first reboot during the update process. How big is this partition? Is it on the end of your disk? Maybe just remove it with disk utility?

MacTester

Hi Mactester, have you done the Yosemite upgrade to the above setup. How did that go?

SMBIOS:
You should set Macmini5,1, if you have the same Hardware as me. If your Hack is in a vintage Apple Housing, you can use its Serial Number. The type of this old Mac will then be displayed in „About This Mac“
Clover_SMBIOS.tiff

Also why are you using a MacMini5,1 profile when this computer which uses a mobile processor, when a similar generation iMac uses the desktop version of the cpu?

Secondly your comment about using the serial number of the legacy device, can you elaborate, is it just the serial number you change, I thought the serial number was coupled to other details. Are you saying that doing this will make the about my Mac show details of the original Mac ?

Kiwi

Hi Kiwi

Hi Mactester, have you done the Yosemite upgrade to the above setup. How did that go?

1. Download the Yosemite installer
2. Start the installer in 10.9.5
3. Reboot (choose the Installer Partition in Clover menu)
4. 2nd reboot (this time choose OS X partition)

After the installer finished
1. Renew kext cache, repair permissions with Kext wizard
2. Re-apply Toledas Clover AppleHDA patch
3. Reboot
4. Done!

Also why are you using a MacMini5,1 profile when this computer which uses a mobile processor, when a similar generation iMac uses the desktop version of the cpu?
Yes, but it's the perfect choice, if you don't use a dedicated graphics card and want to use the HD3000. The CPU is still initialized properly because of the SSDT. Speedstep & sleep work perfectly!

Secondly your comment about using the serial number of the legacy device, can you elaborate, is it just the serial number you change, I thought the serial number was coupled to other details. Are you saying that doing this will make the about my Mac show details of the original Mac ?

Yes, it's just the serial number. However, iMessage does not work. I think it's just not worth the effort. If you have it working, Apple will soon change something on its servers...

Yosemite.jpg

Good hacking!

MacTester

Last edited:
Hi MacTester,

I followed your lead and jumped into Clover. My iMac G4 17" (Haswell NUC) is running a clean install of Yosemite thanks to Minihack's guide. I'm doing clean installs using Clover on both my iMac G5's today, the 17 is done, the 20 is next. So far so good, not as complex as I first thought.

Cheers!

Hi MacTester

Excellent write up - thank you. I've tried to follow closely for Yosemite as I have the same motherboard & uefi version but I'm having little success.

I'm stuck using vga as I cannot access the clover boot menu (or even uefi config menu) through HDMI (black screen). Resolution in Yosemite is stuck at a low 1024 x 768 with glitches. HD3000 graphics are not at all recognised. I've tried entering the Intel-GFX fake id and ig-platform-id but it does not make a difference.

I think perhaps the vga connection is causing this. I was wondering if you're using HDMI or DVI? Did you have any similar issues? I've tried copying your EFI partition but this results in a reboot.

Hi dway

Excellent write up - thank you.
Thanks an welcome to the community.

I think perhaps the vga connection is causing this.
VGA is not supported in OS X.

I've tried copying your EFI partition but this results in a reboot.
Remember, that you need exactly the same BIOS settings.

I have the same motherboard & uefi version
You will need the same CPU too. Otherwise the attached SSDT will not work.

Good luck

Thanks MacTester

I only switched to VGA when HDMI refused to work. I thought HDMI would work by default?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back