Motherboard
ASUS P5KPL
CPU
Core 2 Duo
Graphics
8600 GT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Hello everyone, I recently noticed that my G5 has accumulated some sort of grease in the inside, it only appears on the "stronger" metal frame. I've tried to clean it out with a Windex-like multi-surface product with no success, also scrubbing it with plastic objects does nothing (haven't tried to scrub it too hard since I don't want to damage the metal). I attach some photos so you can see. Any G5 owner that experienced the same issue? I'm clueless really on what this junk might me.

If it is an oil or grease as you suspect then some WD40 or similar product on a clean cloth may be able to remove it. If that does't make a big difference then try some household metal cleaning products that you may have in your kitchen/bathroom/garage, best to read any instructions before use and try a test area that isn't going to be seen as easily.

Thanks for your replies!

get some goof off.. and a Mr clean Magic Eraser maybe some ketchup.

Would you say "goo gone" would have the same effect? I can't find goof off on local stores nearby. I've also found some "stainless steel cleaner" thingy.

If it is an oil or grease as you suspect then some WD40 or similar product on a clean cloth may be able to remove it. If that does't make a big difference then try some household metal cleaning products that you may have in your kitchen/bathroom/garage, best to read any instructions before use and try a test area that isn't going to be seen as easily.

I don't really know if it's grease or what, but I know it got stuck because of repeatedly handling. I can't understand how hand grease would get stuck so hard on the metal.

Would you recommend some goof off/goo gone-like product or some WD40-like product, or at least with which you think I should start first?

Thanks for your replies!

Would you say "goo gone" would have the same effect? I can't find goof off on local stores nearby. I've also found some "stainless steel cleaner" thingy.

I do not know about stainless steel cleaner I am guessing the frame is not stainless. Ketchup is a good remover of oxidization from metal though best with silver and copper. I am would guess to say goo gone and goof off are similar products.

Tried both WD40 and goof off without success. I guess I'll be better just painting the interior. :(

Tried both WD40 and goof off without success. I guess I'll be better just painting the interior. :(

Without actually being there it is hard to tell what it is. Maybe it is human grease mixed with dust from handling that ground into the metal from the cover over time and just like a MS Surface Ergo keyboard it just not going to ever look clean.

Really Fine sand paper?

Last edited:
Some wet and dry sandpaper may help, but it will return so a light sanding to provide some key to the metal and then painting may give the best aesthetic.

You may also want to try using a green scotch pad if you have any in your kitchen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back