i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hello all!
Let me introduce my progress in building water cooled G4 with Skylake inside.
welcome.jpg

Components list
Motherboard
– Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530&dl=#ov)
CPU – Intel® Core™ i7-6700K (http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz)
GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX980 EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2983-KR)
Memory – Kingston FURY 32GB Kit* (4x8GB) - DDR4 2400MHz CL15
PSU – SeaSonic Platinum 760 (https://seasonic.com/product/platinum-760/)
SSD - 256Gb Samsung 950 Pro Series (MZ-V5P256BW) (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-storage/ssd/950-pro/MZ-V5P256BW)
Fans - Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack, EK-Vardar F4-120ER (comes with EK-Predator)
Cooling - EK-XLC Predator 240 (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-240), EK-FC980 GTX (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc980-gtx), a few fittings, PrimoChill PrimoFlex™ Advanced LRT™ 15,9 / 9,5mm soft tubing and EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm 500mm (2pcs).

Let me know if I forgot to mention something important :)

Several benchmarks for beginning.

It doesn't particularly noteworthy, but provide an opportunity to evaluate the cooling capability of the build.
Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 21.36.37.png Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 21.54.34.png Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 22.03.22.png Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 22.47.38.png Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 23.18.12.png

First of all I would like to note that this build has been done accidentally in some ways. Once Apple Macs Confirmed to Come Out with Intel Skylake Processors, I decided to use Skylake in my next build. The first was the motherboard, it was followed by the processor and memory.
I vigorously tested the new platform. Once it became clear that everything will be successful, I bought a GPU, PSU, SSD and case for final assembly. The case was well-known BitFenix Prodigy M in red colour :)
Now you understand why I have called the build somewhat incidental.
I got G4 case from my colleague absolutely free. At the time the computer is not functioning and just collecting dust in the corner. Sadly, it had a lot of scratches that I had to polish.

Anyway, I started to build my new G4. My main goal was to keep the original look and beauty of G4 and of course I wanted to get it cheap. I bought a second-hand Predator (it had a leak and the pump didn't work) and EK-FC980 GTX waterblock.
First I made some drawings to see how i can fit all my stuff into the case and next proceeded to the final test using 10 mm copper wires. At this step I realized that I can't install dvd-drive into the original space due to memory slots placement.
01_PSU_vent.jpg02_layout_test.jpg03_layout_test.jpg

Flexible tubing segment is made of PrimoChill LRT™ 15,9 / 9,5mm, the hard part of EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm. Radiator mounted with rubber gaskets to prevent vibrations from the pump and fans.
04_tubing.jpg rubber_mount.jpg

I am very happy with the result, the reloaded G4 is almost silent and powerful enough.
I polished the case, now it looks like new. I need to finalize two things: decide what to do with the dvd-drive and change the position of the socket in the PSU to match the case.

I’m sorry for my bad english, but I’ll do my best to answer all your questions.

05_complete.jpg06_complete.jpg07_complete.jpg

Last edited:
This is awesome! I would love to see some more detailed pictures of how you mounted all the hardware and all the mods that you had to do to the case! Thanks for sharing here!

some additional photos:
24_psu_cable.jpg
cpu_power_cable.jpg
24 pin power and CPU power cables are between the metal and plastic panels
back_cables.jpg back_io_panel.jpg
IO panel looks like this. I haven't decided yet what to do next
side_support.jpg
top_support.jpg
side and top tubing brackets are made from 10 mm acrylic

Last edited:
some additional photos

Thank you so much for sharing. So if I understand correctly, you customized the EK AIO CPU cooler and added the GPU in the loop, so you didn't have to install a separate reservoir and pump.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how your temps are. On most forums they recommend a 240mm radiator per component :). Anyways, congrats on the build, it really looks very neat.

Did you buy a backpanel from mountainmods / laserhive?

Thank you so much for sharing. So if I understand correctly, you customized the EK AIO CPU cooler and added the GPU in the loop, so you didn't have to install a separate reservoir and pump.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how your temps are. On most forums they recommend a 240mm radiator per component :). Anyways, congrats on the build, it really looks very neat.
You are absolutely right, I did not use any additional components with Predator. In my first post I have all the information about CPU and GPU temps. In LuxMark CPU+GPU 10 minutes stress test CPU has reached 64 degrees Celsius while the GPU has 53. GPU is the first in the loop.
I made a four-day test prior to installation. As you rightly pointed out, the manufacturer recommends the installation of an additional radiator. I have to say more, EKWB also do not recommend the installation of the device at the bottom of the case. To prevent damage to the pump, I fed up the loop completely :) and switch the pump on maximum in BIOS. After the test I found the resulting temperatures acceptable.

Did you buy a backpanel from mountainmods / laserhive?
Nope. Just drilled holes in the original back panel :)

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, I did not use any additional components with Predator. In my first post I have all the information about CPU and GPU temps. In LuxMark CPU+GPU 10 minutes stress test CPU has reached 64 degrees Celsius while the GPU has 53. GPU is the first in the loop.
I made a four-day test prior to installation. As you rightly pointed out, the manufacturer recommends the installation of an additional radiator. I have to say more, EKWB also do not recommend the installation of the device at the bottom of the case. To prevent damage to the pump, I fed up the loop completely :) and switch the pump on maximum in BIOS. After the test I found the resulting temperatures acceptable.

Cool :D. I'm thinking about a way where you put a res/pump combo behind the front where the cd drive used to sit. Then mount one 240mm rad on the side panel (where you routed your flex cable and mount the 2nd 240mm rad like where you yours. That way it should provide a killer cooling :) but will be way less cost effective :/.

Nope. Just drilled holes in the original back panel :)

That's even more impressive, you really did a clean job! Congratz! You really got me to want to attempt such a case mod too :D

Then mount one 240mm rad on the side panel (where you routed your flex cable
You should double check all the measurements, it seems to me even narrow radiator (27 mm) with the fans doesn't fit due to GPU waterblock. Or if you don't already have G4, I can check it.

Last edited:
You should double check all the measurements, it seems to me even narrow radiator (27 mm) with the fans doesn't fit due to GPU waterblock. Or if you don't already have G4, I can check it.

That's the problem I have. I wanna start planning a build but I don't have a case to measure, so I'm just assuming based on pictures :p. If you know the dimensions of the inner case, that could help ^^.

Also, I saw another build where the guy laid down his GPU on the bottom waterblock and then installed a PCI extender cable. He managed to install 3x 240mm waterblocks, but that seems overkill to me :D.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1386294/sponsored-sour-apple-motm-winner-august-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back