Graphics
RX 460
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. SE
  5. SE/30
I succeeded in creating a USB drive follwoing the steps outlined here, with Mac OS Sierra, and booted my computer from it. Clover looks fine, but when I boot from USB, I get a 'prohibited' sign pretty soon after. I checked that all the BIOS settings matched what the guide said, tried SATA mode IDE and in mode AHCI, and tried verbose mode, which said basically Kernel Panic. Here is a picture of the kernel panic:

I tried all the different USB 2 ports on the board, of course, it wasn't impressed. There are 2 USB 3 ports, but while there is a setting in the BIOS to disable USB 2.0 ports for some reason, there is no setting to disable USB 3 ports. Before the kernel panic, I notice a lot of messages saying that it can't find files.

Here is a picture of the setup in general. I'm better at messing with hardware than software. Please don't mind the Mac OS Leopard, I had no issue getting Windows 10 installed and that is a picture being shown through Windows 10.

Someone (trs96) suggested I try a different OS, in a different thread.

Thanks for the suggestion! I chose Sierra because it was the oldest I could obtain with the Apple computers I could access, and I believed that the newer the OS, the slower it would run. I've read issues with High Sierra and Ivy Bridge CPUs and was going to avoid it, but I did consider Mojave. In general, I've had a heck of a time trying to get an OS from the App Store - first I tried to get El Cap and couldn't. So I'll consider changing OSes if this fails.

I have an i5 3570 CPU, which has Intel HD 2500 graphics, so perhaps that is the cause. I want to run two DVI Cinema Displays, so I'll look for a cheap Nvidia GPU that has two DVI ports. I already have a spare RX 460, but I hear it doesn't work easily.

If you want a low cost Nvidia card for Sierra you could try a GT 210 or 610. There are many on Ebay. I know the GT 710 works with High Sierra and Mojave. I've never tested it on Sierra so I'm not sure if it has support in that macOS version.
You'll need to inject Nvidia for a 210/610 to get full acceleration in Sierra.

If you want a low cost Nvidia card for Sierra you could try a GT 210 or 610. There are many on Ebay. I know the GT 710 works with High Sierra and Mojave. I've never tested it on Sierra so I'm not sure if it has support in that macOS version.
You'll need to inject Nvidia for a 210/610 to get full acceleration in Sierra.

The GT 710 works OOB in Sierra.

The GT 710 works OOB in Sierra.
A 710 would be the best choice then for Jinnai. He can adapt the HDMI output to DVI to connect the two DVI monitors.

I made an update post, but it looks like it's either gone or taking a very long time to be approved. The graphics card worked to get Sierra installed and working, but I just need to find a way to mount the GPU and fix LAN.

Currently getting a "RealtekRTL8111.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting." even though I used KextBeast. I'm not really understanding what to do with kexts, since I put them in the Extensions folder and ran "sudo kextcache -i /".

I checked the permissions with ls -l and saw it was "drwxr-xr-x", same as all the kexts that it let through.

EDIT: I may have gotten it by installing to System instead of just Library. I don't know if it's odd that I keep changing my story, but I'm trying to do my own research and not solely rely on others to research for me.

Other than that, it's nearly complete. With a huge effort I got a PSU mounted. I need to get Bluetooth (nothing fancy, just for my Bluetooth mouse) and Wifi, perhaps on the same board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back