Contribute
Register

Power Mac G4 Hackintosh + Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few pinouts floating around the internet (and this site?).

I have the same part. I remember using a method a long time ago that cut the PCB and rerouted the connections for the power, reset and LED. Wasn’t very elegant, but got the job done. I bought a replacement panel on eBay a couple years back to figure out a more vanilla approach, but didn’t get around to hooking it up, due to another project.

If I remember correctly, there is a common ground for all three buttons, so you should only need to hook up the positives and one ground pin for the switches. I also remember that there was an issue with that microcontroller that made the LED (or power button) a little iffy. Sorry it’s been a while.

Let me see if i can find my hackintosh notepad. I remember drawing a pinout and making notes at some point after some tests with a multimeter and quick hookups to an older PC.

Same here. I'd love to be able to use the original front buttons.

Looking at the board, it appears that there are four components:
1. The LED (I assume + & -)
2. The LED? (info?)
3. The Power button (again, I assume + & -)
4. The Sleep button? (again, I assume + & -)
5. The Reset button? (again, I assume + & -)

There are 10 wires.
(FRONT)

(BACK - shown in reverse)

Has anyone tried this?

Yeah, I want to be vanilla as possible. I have seen a couple of YouTube videos that sort of do a hack job soldering and busting off the little chip. I can't bring myself to do that though.

Does anyone know where I can get the schematics for this part? I seem to remember something about continuous power flow through the power button rather than a quick power connect on the button push.

M'eh - I got sick of researching this, and touching pins with a screwdriver to turn on my computer every time. I found a method that works for basic functionality: Power on/off, reboot, hd led. It does involve damaging the card to a small degree and soldering on three new wires.

But, if needed , I can drop a bit of solder in where I scraped off two spots on the board, and can remove the three wires to restore the original functionality of the card.

Below is the method I used (see LiveSorcerer's post here: Link):

The back end of the socket of the power-switch board (not the side you plug into) has the following pin numbers:

Top 1 3 5 7 9
Bottom 2 4 6 8 10

The front side of the socket of the power-switch board (the side you plug the cable into):

Top 9 7 5 3 1
Bottom 10 8 6 4 2

After using the method pictured here, I have the following pins going to the noted pins on the motherboard:

Top 9 (Power +) 7 (Power -) 5 3 (Reset +) 1 (n/a)
Bottom 10 (N/A*) 8 (N/A**) 6 4 (HD LED +) 2 (n/a***)

If you don't know how to solder and don't want to learn how, you could probably just dab some hot glue to keep the wires in place as long as they make contact with the correct metal pieces on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back