CPU
I7 7700HQ
Graphics
intel hd 630 128mb dedicated vram
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hello. i've been redoing the wiring inside a powermac g5 case that was converted to a server motherboard.
the power button works and the power led turns on. but the problem is the power led is always on.(the led didnt work when i got the device but alot of stuff was knocked lose inside)

this motherboard has a weird style of front panel (needs a front panel pcb otherwise it complains)
i've probed around the place and noticed something odd..
when the machine is off. the ground for the LED is disconnected but the positive is still on.
all the grounds do this on the front panel.
the 3 volts always stay on.

as far as i know it is supposed to be positive is off and negative is always on til the machine turns on thus both turn on,

the only ground that is always connected is the power button.
but none of the positive connections turns off when the machine is off.

i did notice another thing. if i swap the led + and - the led wil be on when the machine is off and turn off when the machine turns on.

any tips to how i would beable to to stil get this working correctly?

also working on getting usb working wich should not be that hard but AUX is a dificult one.

i got a hd audio cable. i'm not 100% sure what i need to connect to get audio out on the front.

the motherboard in question is a intel server s5520hc

thank you in advance for your information regarding this

Attachments

• photo5994399719914320391.jpg
    photo5994399719914320391.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 230
  • POwermacDiagramPwronly.jpg
    POwermacDiagramPwronly.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 831
Hi, have you checked these threads, BoomR's twist on the G5 Front Panel Quick Guide and G5 Front Panel Quick Guide. You likely have, I'm sorry that I can't provide more help, I'm rubbish at wires. I bought a pre-built cable for the front panel IO, but seems I still can't get it right, my issue is that I can turn the LED on but when I release the power button it goes off. I do know, from what I've read on this forum, that the firewire ground is needed.

hello. i've been redoing the wiring inside a powermac g5 case that was converted to a server motherboard.
the power button works and the power led turns on. but the problem is the power led is always on.(the led didnt work when i got the device but alot of stuff was knocked lose inside)

this motherboard has a weird style of front panel (needs a front panel pcb otherwise it complains)
i've probed around the place and noticed something odd..
when the machine is off. the ground for the LED is disconnected but the positive is still on.
all the grounds do this on the front panel.
the 3 volts always stay on.

as far as i know it is supposed to be positive is off and negative is always on til the machine turns on thus both turn on,

the only ground that is always connected is the power button.
but none of the positive connections turns off when the machine is off.

i did notice another thing. if i swap the led + and - the led wil be on when the machine is off and turn off when the machine turns on.

any tips to how i would beable to to stil get this working correctly?

also working on getting usb working wich should not be that hard but AUX is a dificult one.

i got a hd audio cable. i'm not 100% sure what i need to connect to get audio out on the front.

the motherboard in question is a intel server s5520hc

thank you in advance for your information regarding this
Hello,

I have also done a build with an intel server board a S2600CP. I had the same problem, power led always on.

After some experimenting I found a simple solution. I connected the power led + to the HDD led +. Now it is on when the power is on. It is not blinking when the disks are accessed! It looks like that is controlled by the - connection.

As you have indicated in your photo I have 3 wires from the power switch. 2 for the switch and 1 for the led. This is the correct way as the led is using the power ground wire.

It might work also for your MB

BR
Peter

After some experimenting I found a simple solution. I connected the power led + to the HDD led +. Now it is on when the power is on. It is not blinking when the disks are accessed! It looks like that is controlled by the - connection.
Thanks for this, this has solved my constantly on LED issue.

Thanks for the work-around, @appletechgeek , and glad that it worked for you too @craighazan !

I wanted to add my two cents here, and say that I think the issue with the LED light might not be with the hardware.

Try messing with the "FixShutDown" option in Clover's ACPI section. I disabled mine, and now my LED light turns off when I shut down my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back