Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I post this new case mods from my new "Power iMac (USB 2) 20 inch", so no suspense .... it works :headbang:!!!
DSC05366 - copie 2.jpg
Capture d’écran 2015-01-11 à 14.47.23.png
Any abbord sorry for English 100% google translator! et pour les français qui voudraient plus de précision c'est possible dans notre langue!
Then of course a big thank you to all those who made this adventure possible:

dremeljunky: http://www.dremeljunkie.com/

ersterhernds: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/102250-ersterhernds-nucimac-g4.html

mactester57s: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/104625-mactester57s-hemimac-g4.html

wingworm: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods...hanged-appearance-including-pro-speakers.html

and albertodlh for a little loaded configuration on a pico power: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...g4-cube-mod-i5-gtx-750ti-3tb-3-5-hd-cube.html

thank you all so much for your discovery were reused in my mods. The only notable change is the use of a mini ITX motherboard size and integration (I hope!) Of a graphics card.

the current configuration:

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
Intel Core i5-3570K with original intel fan
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
picoPSU-160-XT 12V Plug-in DC-DC ATX PSU

in the future:

cpu fan: Silverstone Argon AR04, Silverstone SST-NT07-115X or Noctua NH-L9i Intel-only Low Profile Quiet CPU Cooler, if it's not too large (I think 37 mm will not fit under the dvd combo)
case fan: Noctua NF-B9 PWM
Atheros AR9380 wifi card
combo dvd slim
grafic card Galaxy GT 740 GCSlim 2GB GDDR5 or 750GTX if one day it is 100% compatible. the advantage of this card is that it is small, consumes little power and proposes a second VGA output as directly connectable on mini VGA port of the iMac.

Power

I reused the original alimentaion as explained by dremeljunky ( http://www.dremeljunkie.com/2012/05/20-imac-g4-native-psu.html ). the only difference with the dremel junkie solution is that I did not use the 5 volt DVI output but the pico PSU. so this is the pico PSU which once powered-on by the motherboard, delivers the 5 volts needed to activate the 24 volt line and inverter.

I for that reused the original motherboard 16 pin connector
DSC04878 - copie.jpg
DSC04880 - copie.jpg
I attached directly the 4 pin connector 12 volt DC in Pico PSU on the 16 pin connector. a power cord IDE (1x IDE plug current 4 pole - 2x 4-pin power socket IDE) allows me to create a 5 volt 2 pin connector (unused), December 1 volt 2 pin connector (LCD power supply) and supply 5/12 volt 16 pin connector.

DSC04905 - copie.jpg

I create a 4 pin connector to supply 5 and 24 volt inverter. The 16 pin connector is finish!

DSC04907 - copie.jpg

4-pin connector is created on the other side, to the output of neck (inverter cable). it integrates resistance of 6.8 Kohm.

DSC04911 - copie 2.jpgDSC04912 - copie.jpgDSC04914 - copie.jpgDSC04915 - copie.jpg

I can already tell that this solution is a little too large !!! it works but I would simplify everything during the installation of the graphics card.

DVI plug

unlike most mods I made a directly connectable male DVI plug taken from the neck.
I used a standard plug, changed the metallic shell and made a molding resin for insulation.

DSC04917 - copie.jpgDSC04920 - copie.jpgDSC04937 - copie.jpgDSC04922 - copie.jpg

the 1 Kohm resistor is installed first and isolated

DSC04960 - copie.jpgDSC04962 - copie.jpg

wire contained in the gray power cable are separated according to whether they serve for the DVI connector or the supply of 12 volts

DSC04963 - copie.jpg
DSC04965 - copie.jpg

the second cable, black, comes to lie in parallel. The masses are reunited. Do not forget (... like me!) To pass a black cable from the DVI connector to the power connector. everything is wrapped heat.

DSC04967 - copie.jpgDSC04968 - copie.jpgDSC04976 - copie.jpgDSC04970 - copie.jpg

the most delicate stage ... :|... the original pods are fragile... :evil:...and do not properly plugged on the DVI jack pin....:banghead:.... thermo sheaths end crimping.

DSC04975 - copie.jpgDSC04981 - copie.jpgDSC04983 - copie.jpgDSC04984 - copie.jpg
DSC04986 - copie.jpg

wire for the 12 volt supply met in two cables yellow and black, a plug 2 pin added directly connectable to the one created on the supply.

DSC04988 - copie.jpg
DSC04991 - copie.jpg

ETHERNET/USB

I used a simple shielded ethernet cable. thoroughly test the absence of resistance and contact between the pin.

DSC04933 - copie.jpg
DSC04935 - copie.jpg

same for USB 2 and 3 which uses the internal conector of the motherboard to free the space around.

DSC05001 - copie.jpgDSC05130 - copie.jpg

DSC05141 - copie.jpg

the USB plug 3 is fixed on the PCB. For original USB 2 I cut the circuit in order to release the connectors. welding facilities are well, and avoids the bad contact (unlike the ethernet jack, some connections persist in the multilayer PCB)

DSC05146 - copie.jpgDSC05150 - copie.jpg
DSC05134 - copie.jpg

after using the USB 3 socket slides into housing. the next dismantling, I would fix with epoxy resin

DSC05137 - copie.jpg

thanks kiwisincebirth !

I also think it is a bit too much...:mrgreen:... but I try !!! I have big doubts about the necessary global power and temperature management. but we'll see!!! I monitor temperatures. with the original fan temperature are correct but the noise is unbearable (no speed management, I think a bad connection, the fan runs at max speed permance). So actuellemenet only works with the cpu fan, the temperatures are a bit too high.

So next step: the 2 fans

Thank you spong_jojo for this great documentation and this amount of pictures!

Good to see that someone managed to fit a "standard" miniITX mainboard into the iMac housing...

Right now I'm about to test a similar setup with a thin miniITX baord.

- a clocked down i7 2600K (from a previous build)
- Noctua L9i
- Noctua 92mm casefan (PWM)

It's not yet finished, but I will post the first parts of the worklog in a few days...

Are you testing your build without any casefan? Just the CPU-fan?

Best regards, Jascha

Thank you spong_jojo for this great documentation and this amount of pictures!

Good to see that someone managed to fit a "standard" miniITX mainboard into the iMac housing...

Right now I'm about to test a similar setup with a thin miniITX baord.

- a clocked down i7 2600K (from a previous build)
- Noctua L9i
- Noctua 92mm casefan (PWM)

It's not yet finished, but I will post the first parts of the worklog in a few days...

Are you testing your build without any casefan? Just the CPU-fan?

Best regards, Jascha

Hi Jascha! I hope your mods also work !!!
I hope my experience will be useful to many!

Actualy the iMac runs only with the CPU fan. I tested with the original case fan but it turns always at maximum speed (I think to have wrong adapted the connector, if anyone know of good connection ?). Furthermore the noise, there is a temperature difference:

with case fan and CPU fan ///// whith only CPU fan
fan case et CPU.png /////fan CPU seul.png

I use this for the original case fan (from allpinout.org):
Fan has a 3-pin power connector; desktop board has a 4-pin fan header:

Note: when using a 3-pin power connector with a 4-pin fan header, the fan will always be on; there is no fan control.
and indeed .... there is no speed control:mrgreen:. Yet the original G4 motherboard controlled ... I do not understand, but anyway I would replace by a noctua, more efficient, quieter and especially thinner!!!

cordially, spong_jojo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back