Contribute
Register

Post your SSD benchmarks using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4th may 2016 I finaly got it working with the Intel 750 as boot up.

Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400 GB

Mybencmark.jpg

Buy a 950 pro m2 is quite expensive compared to setup a Raid 0 of 4 SSDs. More storage for the same performance (or even better). Of course 960 pro is even better but also VERY expensive for few gigabytes.
I'm currently on one SSD, is it possible to improve my configuration by adding 2-4 SSDs connected in sata3 and set a Raid 0 without to reinstall everything?
For reference I have this mobo : GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

Just installed a Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB NVME and ran AJA test. Blackmagic appears to max out at 2000 MB/s but I do see others that show higher but can't seem to find the setting to change the max.

aja.png

Buy a 950 pro m2 is quite expensive compared to setup a Raid 0 of 4 SSDs. More storage for the same performance (or even better). Of course 960 pro is even better but also VERY expensive for few gigabytes.
I'm currently on one SSD, is it possible to improve my configuration by adding 2-4 SSDs connected in sata3 and set a Raid 0 without to reinstall everything?
For reference I have this mobo : GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

In an apples to apples comparison of 1 NVME versus 4 SATA SSD of equal capacity, the cost is nearly the same. I think your comment of lower cost is factoring in that you already own 1 or more SATA SSD. I would propose a compromise:

Get a lower capacity NVME of say 256 GB and use that for your OS drive and all of your applications. Get 1-2 more SATA SSDs to create a RAID 0 for all of your data files. Basically move your User folders to the RAID 0 drive. To your last question, you cannot make changes to a RAID 0 without wiping the data on the drives since RAID 0 does not have error redundancy. You need at least RAID 5 to be able to change drives/capacity on the fly.

I'm upgrading my hack with 500 go 960 evo (OS) | 1To ssd x 2 in raid 0 (time machine and heavy files) | 500 go ssd sata (OS clone)
I think this is the best compromise. I currently run with 1 to ssd for the OS and 500 go for time machine (the other 1 to ssd is dedicated for the os clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back