Contribute
Register

Post installation PANIC Yosemite - GA Z97N WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me to, your help will be much appreciated ;)

So i overwrote my original kext so i'll have to re-install everything. ugh

Probably just as well because ever since I connected three monitors my computer isn't sleeping good anymore. It used to sleep like a baby, I had it running for 2 days and would use it wake/sleep all the time. Not sure how adding a monitor messed it up...so maybe its best to start from scratch. I'm still evaluating the hackintosh route. If I can't get it stable i'm going to return all my pieces. If stable, I'll buy an SSD to go with it and make a fusion drive before migrating all my stuff over.

Anyway the following steps made the sleep work for me:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302296-clover-yosemite-sleephibernate-–-ga-z87x-ud5/

sudo pmset -a standby 0

sudo pmset -a standbydelay 8640000

pmset -g live

Anyway the following steps made the sleep work for me:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302296-clover-yosemite-sleephibernate-–-ga-z87x-ud5/

sudo pmset -a standby 0

sudo pmset -a standbydelay 8640000

pmset -g live

Thanks for pointing me to this possible solution. My board is GA-H97N-WIFI and I've also been having trouble with sleep: short sleep, system wakes up OK; let it sleep for a an hour or so and I come back to find it rebooted or, if not, it crashes within a minute of waking up. (Letting it sleep for even longer it would hibernate and Clover would be unable to wake it; solved that with 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0'.) I tried the commands posted above, but I didn't see entries for standby or standbydelay in the output of 'pmset -g live'. Did you see those entries on your system?

Re ethernet, in order to get both ports working I needed to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext.

I tried the commands posted above, but I didn't see entries for standby or standbydelay in the output of 'pmset -g live'. Did you see those entries on your system?

Re ethernet, in order to get both ports working I needed to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext.

Hey jginsbu, I also don't see those entries in my "pmset -g live". Truth be told I'm not totally sure why it seemed to help the sleep issue, but it did... at least for a few days. I'm traveling this weekend but when I get home I'm going to poke around in the BIOS, and re-install to see if I can fix it. I still haven't had luck getting audio working : (

The sleep is important for my system though. I'd rather have sleep than sound actually because I can always add a cheap USB to 3.5 mm jack for cheap/basic sound. I really like efficiency and it would be too hard on my sanity to just keep the machine running around the clock because sleep doesn't work. I figure I have another week to work on it before my window to return the parts passes. Here's hoping!

If you figure out more please share!

I just generated a SSDT (following toleda's guide) to see if that would help with the sleep problems. I hope to do some testing with that over the weekend. But after installing it, pmset -g live shows the entries for standby and standbydelay. Interesting…

I wish I could help with the audio problem, but I followed toleda's guide and it "just worked".

Aside from the sleep problems my build seems very stable. It's also possible some sleep issues lie with Yosemite, not the build (there are a variety of problems being discussed on the Apple support forums). I'm trusting that these problems will get worked out with time (assuming testing doesn't show that the SSDT and pmset changes have taken care of it already).

I just generated a SSDT (following toleda's guide) to see if that would help with the sleep problems. I hope to do some testing with that over the weekend. But after installing it, pmset -g live shows the entries for standby and standbydelay. Interesting…

I wish I could help with the audio problem, but I followed toleda's guide and it "just worked".

Hey jginsbu, thanks for the info. The SSDT seems like the right thing to do in debugging this issue. I'm really eager and curious to know how it works out for you! I'm traveling and away from my hackintosh but i'll be right behind you giving that a shot.

Sorry to pester about the audio, can I ask which of the three methods you used with the GA Z97N WIFI?

I'm using Clover so I went with the audio_cloverALC-100 method. (I'm using the GA-H97N-WiFi, BTW--not that it should make any difference as they're both using ALC 892.)

I'll report back on sleep/wake with the SSDT installed. Hopefully can start testing tonight.

Ok cool, I'll jump over to that thread. I may have an idea but I'll read the posts first to see if its already been said. Also, finally re-installed yosemite and did the correct clover_command_100.sh thing we talked about above... MAGIC! It worked! I didn't read the guide far enough and stopped with the realtec command instead of the clover one. I feel dumb. Thank you for your help and patience!

That said, now that I know how to reliably install network, audio, and HD 4600 graphics, the challenge seems to be stability. Like you I'm having serious sleep problems. Even when the screens turn off, it'll cause a cpu panic which will make the machine reboot. Also shutting down causes CPU panic and makes it reboot.

I was going to post on your thread the following two thoughts. First off is the CPU itself. I couldn't follow the multibeast guide because I was getting CPU panic (as were many others). I found this thread about the 4790K... essentially it could be the high clock rates that are messing things up. Looks like people had some luck turning off turbo boost or making the default clock rate the same as the turbo at 4.4 GHz
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-panic-i7-4790k-z97n-working-i7-4790-a-6.html

And my second thought was fiddling with the hibernate mode. I think we've been using mode 0 which makes sense for desktops... maybe its worth trying mode 3 which is made for portables?
http://coderazzi.net/osx/hibernation.htm

Glad to hear you got your audio working!

You're having a a lot more instability problem than I am. Perhaps it is related to the 4790K, as you suggest. All I can suggest is that you make sure you're on the latest BIOS version, make sure you've got the recommended BIOS settings, and then try generating an SSDT for your system to enable native power management (I linked to the guide above). Beyond that, I hope someone more knowledgable than I am can help you out. The new Retina iMac is available with 4790K, so I expect the CPU itself shouldn't be a problem, but there may be issues with the combination of board, BIOS settings, DSDT and SSDT.

Regarding hibernation, Clover doesn't support waking a system that's hibernated to disk, so that needs to be prevented. (I've read about a fix for wake from hibernation, but it's still in testing.) hibernatemode 0 is supposed to disable hibernating to disk, i.e. just allow regular RAM sleep. Automatic hibernation can be disabled by setting standby 0. There's also autopoweroff, which is similar to standby; I'm not clear on exactly how the two setting differ and interact but, in any case, we want that set to 0 as well.

Hello! I'm new here! Can i ask something? I have the same mobo, plus gtx 970 graphics.
I'd like to try Yosemite clover installation, how about bluetooth? It's working by default without kext?
Last question.... How about the gtx970 installation, i must run the installer with the card disconnected?

Thank you, and sorry for my english:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back