Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Post-Install Help sought for HP 350 G1

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I confirmed that. The BrightnessUp and BrightnessDown keys both send the same output via PS2.

I struggled and failed to get ACPIDebug.kext output to yield anything... something I probably overlooked but I will revisit this later...

In the mean time I saw this post: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...hotkeys-in-dsdt/?tab=comments#comment-2139833

The patch applies cleanly on top of the two other ACPI/dsl patches, and does enable the brightness up and brightness down keys... but at a cost - the WiFi Key no longer works perfectly - the LED (normally white when WiFi is on) now shows orange. Probably a variable is being used twice (?) or some value is getting clobbered.

(AFTERTHOUGHT: perhaps the patch is fine, but there is something else in the original DSDT that is not quite right. ... ?)

It does, however, work. Brightness Keys now work.

Patch is attached.
the link you quoted is from Rehabman who made the guide here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sing-clover-uefi-hotpatch.261719/post-1821423

if you follow it all, you should have a working system

Hi @Feartech , thanks.

I’ve been following Rehabman and his work for years (both here and at InsanelyMac)... and yes, I did use the methods in the link you posted to install on my Probook 4530s- which now works nearly perfectly.

Following the same guide very carefully for the HP 350 G1 did not, however, yield anywhere the same level of success. Remember that the Probook 4530s was very widely used (Rehabman shows one in his signature ) and was one of the earliest supported models for the Probook Installer.

On the other hand, the 350 G1 was one of the last models to have support added in the PBI, and they weren’t widely hacked, so it seems that some details weren’t polished up as well.

No worries though - it is seldom a smooth ride when doing something like this. And I’m very grateful to everyone who left a trail/thread to follow.

Thus this thread is for anyone else who is trying to make it work on the HP 350 G1. If the guide doesn’t solve all the problems or point back to solutions then this thread perhaps can help them.

If you feel that it makes sense to move it into some sort of Post Installation thread for laptops I think that would be fine, as long as it doesn’t become hard to search for...

Last edited:
Hi @Feartech , thanks.

I’ve been following Rehabman and his work for years (both here and at InsanelyMac)... and yes, I did use the methods in the link you posted to install on my Probook 4530s- which now works nearly perfectly.

Following the same guide very carefully for the HP 350 G1 did not, however, yield anywhere the same level of success. Remember that the Probook 4530s was very widely used (Rehabman shows one in his signature ) and was one of the earliest supported models for the Probook Installer.

On the other hand, the 350 G1 was on of the last models to have support added in the PBI, and they weren’t widely hacked, so it seems that some details weren’t polished up as well.

No worries though - it is seldom a smooth ride when doing something like this. And I’m very grateful to everyone who left a trail/thread to follow.

Thus this thread is for anyone else who is trying to make it work on the HP 350 G1. If the guide doesn’t solve all the problems or point back to solutions then this thread perhaps can help them.

If you feel that it makes sense to move it into some sort of Post Installation thread for laptops I think that would be fine, as long as it doesn’t become hard to search for...
no worries, it is fine here

if and when Rehabman comes back, i'm sure he will be able to offer some advice and assistance

Truly just about perfect... only two glitches are:
  • LED light on WiFi Key stays orange rather than going to white, and after using the Wifi Button, it doesn't auto-join the last network
  • Continuity only partially works: AirDrop seems perfect, but Handoff is not very reliable - works one way (computer-to-iPhone, sporadically) at best...
Ehhh, @RehabMan, I hope you are getting lots of good skiing in ... we had 1 foot of great powdery snow here but then got that cold snap of -35° and the windchills in the -50's... now today it is 35°, tomorrow 40° and then Monday 50° {sorry moderators, but man cannot live by coding and hacking alone, he needs skiing too... and occasional 100 mile cycling jaunts... for inspiration}.

I'll try to work on this for another week on my own, first. ;)

Truly just about perfect... only two glitches are:
  • LED light on WiFi Key stays orange rather than going to white, and after using the Wifi Button, it doesn't auto-join the last network
  • Continuity only partially works: AirDrop seems perfect, but Handoff is not very reliable - works one way (computer-to-iPhone, sporadically) at best...
Ehhh, @RehabMan, I hope you are getting lots of good skiing in ... we had 1 foot of great powdery snow here but then got that cold snap of -35° and the windchills in the -50's... now today it is 35°, tomorrow 40° and then Monday 50° {sorry moderators, but man cannot live by coding and hacking alone, he needs skiing too... and occasional 100 mile cycling jaunts... for inspiration}.

I'll try to work on this for another week on my own, first. ;)
Continuity can be a little hit and miss

From what I read, absolutely... even on true Macs: recent MacBooks, iMacs + top of the line iPhones.

But AirDrop is my Ace-in-the-Whole...just in case I can't make it any better.

HDMI video works perfectly. Bluetooth audio is perfect as well. Regular audio (tinny, tiny Altec Lansing speakers) are a shade better using BongioviDPS ... actually, startlingly good!

Now moving on to HDMI audio. Looks like there are a lot of guides and mentions of "HDMI audio" in the forum... I'm guessing that DSDT is going to have to be fiddled with a bit more, and that someone with an HP Envy 17 or some such has already done this fix. Time to dig.

From what I read, absolutely... even on true Macs: recent MacBooks, iMacs + top of the line iPhones.

But AirDrop is my Ace-in-the-Whole...just in case I can't make it any better.

HDMI video works perfectly. Bluetooth audio is perfect as well. Regular audio (tinny, tiny Altec Lansing speakers) are a shade better using BongioviDPS ... actually, startlingly good!

Now moving on to HDMI audio. Looks like there are a lot of guides and mentions of "HDMI audio" in the forum... I'm guessing that DSDT is going to have to be fiddled with a bit more, and that someone with an HP Envy 17 or some such has already done this fix. Time to dig.
audio, in your config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment-IRQ Fix</key>
                <string>The following fixes may be needed for onboard audio/USB/etc</string>
                <key>FixHPET</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixIPIC</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixRTC</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixTMR</key>
                <false/>
            </dict>

they may need to be enabled

also further down:
PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)

you have some entries that are disabled by default

example:
#framebuffer-con1-enable

to enable that one, you would remove the # at the beginning, you will need to test/ trial and error on those

sometime FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext may be required as well

KK, thanks @Feartech !

I will try all those... just starting to dig and I see that some of this is "old hat" as they used to say...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

which is referenced from ...

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-hdmi-audio-guide.234735/

I'll give it a try (after shoveling the snow in the driveway...)
true, i needed FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext for hdmi audio, probably too lazy in messing with more config.plist settings :)

Finally got it... I got kind of frustrated after dozens of attempts, finally revisited this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v1-8-1.254559/

... and used the Hackintool... what I learned is that I missed a configuration setting:
Code:
framebuffer-con3-type   data    00080000
Using Hackintool not only gave me a working patch that fixed the audio for HDMI, but it also gave a more complete snapshot of settings and values... So many of these seem to be undocumented (or I just didn't know where to look for them...).

I want to go back and try to clean up the config.plist, though, because it has a lot of (I think) cruft and unneeded stuff in it...

Attached is the (possibly ugly version) of the config.plist. ... but I'm posting it just in case I can't clean it up any more...

Literally, everything works now... :
  • relatively fast booting
  • USB
  • Continuity ( Handoff of phone calls from laptop to iPhone works, AirDrop Works, some other Handoff functions are hit-or-miss)
  • Messages/Texting
  • FaceTime/Camera
  • iCloud
  • Audio (onboard)
  • HDMI (video and audio) [ note that BongioviDPS that I'm using for the tiny speakers makes HDMI audio a bit unhappy - when switching to or from HDMI, you must switch twice ]
  • Battery
  • Sleep (even with HDMI connected... no hiccups)
  • Brightness Keys
  • Bluetooth
  • WiFi
Not sure if I should adventure into some kind of attempt to get the Turbo boost (from 1.7GHz up to 2.5GHz) on this ... but if I need a project to keep me busy I may try that.

Turbo Boost is not present on this processor, but native power management is possible with the -xcpm flag in Clover.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back