Contribute
Register

Possible to test drive a different SMBIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can I swap my SMBIOS (on a thumb drive so I don't bork my machine, of course) without also needing to sign out of all the iCloud stuff, or is that not an option?

I recently got a update on a post that I figured was dead, and I want to try out what the person suggested, which is switching my SMBIOS from iMac20,2 to iMac19,2. I'm hoping that by doing this, that I'll get 2650x1440 out of the video card without having to choose a scaled display option. I've gotten pretty used to the slightly fuzzy text over the past few months, but if there's chance I can get a non-scaled, super crisp 4k output, I'm definitely going to try it. I'd like to avoid having to sign out and back in to everything just to test a different SMBIOS though, so I'm also hoping that is possible.

since you are just trying the other SMBIOS to see if they help video output, you really should just disconnect from the internet. If you end up getting the result you want, you just sign back in to everything and you'll be good. If you decide it wasn't worth it, just change back and iCloud/iMessage won't know anything changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back