Motherboard
EVGA X79
CPU
i7 4820k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I have a working Mavericks 10.9.4 build on a Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH mb currently running onboard video.

I first built it with an Nvidia Geforce 450 (old card i had lying around) and recently that card burnt out.

So I attempted to replace with the Radeon R7 240 thinking I could at least safe-boot and change some settings to get it working---silly me.

When I have the Radeon card plugged in I can't even get to the boot screen. I believe I used Multi-Beast to create the boot loader (I went through so many installs I forget exactly which worked). Motherboard settings display correctly but I get some gibberish on the boot screen instead of the little wave character with big eyes.

Is it possible, without reinstalling everything, to switch brands? Will I have to either rebuild or return the card for a Geforce?

Thanks in advance for all the help and suggestions. If I am missing anything info wise or if this is in the wrong place please do what you must.

Here's the weird thing. I can't even get to the boot screen with the new graphics card. I can get into motherboard settings but when I let it pass the initial boot screen I get gibberish instead of the boot screen where I would normally put in various boot arguments.

Could this be a motherboard setting?

Here's the weird thing. I can't even get to the boot screen with the new graphics card. I can get into motherboard settings but when I let it pass the initial boot screen I get gibberish instead of the boot screen where I would normally put in various boot arguments.

Could this be a motherboard setting?
What kind of research did you do to see if the Radeon card would be supported?
You can not just get any card and slap it in and expect it to work like you can with Windows.

One thing you might try - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/115818-article-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

UPDATE:

I used a USB loader and was able to boot into Mavericks with the card.

I did research the card and found that people have had success with R7 240 low profile on Hackintosh.

Now I have 1080p display but am looking to enable graphics acceleration and obviously fix boot issue.

New question: (let me know if I need to move this to a different place): Is it possible to run Unibeast again on the system and simply replace the boot with a new chimera with the new settings? Will this seriously F-up my system. Other option: Use the guide to upgrade to Yosemite and make sure to do it based on new graphics specs.

UPDATE:

I used a USB loader and was able to boot into Mavericks with the card.

I did research the card and found that people have had success with R7 240 low profile on Hackintosh.

Now I have 1080p display but am looking to enable graphics acceleration and obviously fix boot issue.

New question: (let me know if I need to move this to a different place): Is it possible to run Unibeast again on the system and simply replace the boot with a new chimera with the new settings? Will this seriously F-up my system. Other option: Use the guide to upgrade to Yosemite and make sure to do it based on new graphics specs.
UniBeast is the installer. Do you mean MultiBeast?

You can run MultiBeast as many times as you want. Installing the Chimera boot loader with MB overwrites the previous version, so no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back