Contribute
Register

**Possible** freezing issues with 10.11.2, Z97X UD5H and 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try active display port adaptors at all? I have passive ones but until now have never needed active adaptors. I may have a look on Amazon and see how much they are now. I can't see them working but it might be worth a shout.

Please let us know how the USB3-DVI adaptor works.

No, I haven't tested those active display port adapters. Like you, I have only passive adapters.

And regarding USB3-DVI adapter (Ugreen USB 3.0 to DVI, which runs DisplayLink's DL-3500 chipset, v2.5 drivers), it just works as well or badly as plugging the display straight to second 280X. The same freezings. :(

So, after that experiment, I do believe that active display port adapter will not help..

No, I haven't tested those active display port adapters. Like you, I have only passive adapters.

And regarding USB3-DVI adapter (Ugreen USB 3.0 to DVI, which runs DisplayLink's DL-3500 chipset, v2.5 drivers), it just works as well or badly as plugging the display straight to second 280X. The same freezings. :(

So, after that experiment, I do believe that active display port adapter will not help..

Thanks for that. Thats interesting news.

I would now think that this is not a hardware issue and is a software issue quite high up the software stack to do with multiple displays in the OS X Window Server (note this nothing to do with SMB or MS Windows). I was concerned that this was a hardware issue as there had been a recall on new Mac Pro's and their graphics hardware. I now think that was a red herring and this is a software issue.

I know I can cure it everytime (so far) by using Apple Remote Desktop to connect to the hung machine. I don't actually need to do anything but simply make a connection to the hung machine and the spinning beachball clears itself. I don't kill the Finder or run any programs, simply the act of logging in from Remote Desktop resolved the issue. Your findings have confirmed this now to (at least) me.

Hopefully this means that it will get fixed in later releases of OS X.

Rob

I have just downloaded 10.11.4 and installed it. I have a full backup so can see if this works OK.

I used the combo downloader and it installed easily. Trim works and it looks OK after five minutes.

We'll see how long it lasts until the first freeze :lol:

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back