Contribute
Register

**Possible** freezing issues with 10.11.2, Z97X UD5H and 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SUB]Had too many freezes over the weekend whilst working so have gone back to 10.11.1.

I have a release to get out so will need to focus on that for this week. Experimenting with framebuffers is out for the time being.

Rob[/SUB]

I tried the framebuffer change it did nothing to solve the issue. It has definitely been better since 10.11.3 but it is still crops up every now and then, I'm going with the assumtion that it;s a driver memry leak as it gets worse over time and settles way down after a reboot.

I tried the framebuffer change it did nothing to solve the issue. It has definitely been better since 10.11.3 but it is still crops up every now and then, I'm going with the assumtion that it;s a driver memry leak as it gets worse over time and settles way down after a reboot.

Thanks for doing this. Was on my list for weekend or next week, but will not not do it now.

I hadn't seen it get worse over time, though it never lasted that long to be able to get worse over time, if you understand my convoluted logic :)

You could well be right with the memory leak issue. It has the kind of smell to it. However other 280X owners don't seem to have it, so it might be specific to AMD Sapphire cards and one or two others.

I wonder if there is any way to use different AMD drivers to check this, e.g. the ones from 10.11.1 seem reliable, I suspect but cannot confirm that we cannot mix drivers around. I'd be astonished if we could TBH.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Rob

I'm struggling with very similar issues. Sometimes it freezes while I'm actively using it. I see a spinning beach ball that doesn't recover. Can't seem to interrupt it, or get any response. Eventually the screen goes black.and then nothing until I restart.

Most often the freeze happens overnight, but at different times. My system is set not to sleep, only turn off the display. If I hit a key on the keyboard the display comes on and I see a mouse cursor on a black screen, but the cursor won't move.

The Console logs never show nothing useful preceding the freeze. I never see any on-screen errors during the freeze. I've got an external PTRG system monitoring SNMP of the Hackintosh. That confirms there is no runaway memory or CPU processes that precede a freeze.

I'm using an NVIDIA 740 with NVIDIA's drivers and two 27" displays. As an experiment I removed the NVIDIA card and ran on integrated Intel graphics for a while. I still had the freezing, though it seemed less frequent.

I've also tried with and without my iCloud account logged in.

The only odd-ball thing I'm doing is a custom "Fusion" drive which combined a M.2 SSD with a 2TB SATA drive. Everything else is very typical.

The freezing is more irritating than anything else. Hitting the reset button gets me back in business in about 30 seconds. I'd love to solve it though, and appreciate any advice.

I think someone else mentioned also having an audio patch installed. I have the 1150 ALC audio kext installed from multibeast to get my ports to work. Could this be it?

z97 asus board, 280x gigabyte card, el cap 10.11.3, alc audio kext.

I'm struggling with very similar issues. Sometimes it freezes while I'm actively using it. I see a spinning beach ball that doesn't recover. Can't seem to interrupt it, or get any response. Eventually the screen goes black.and then nothing until I restart.

Most often the freeze happens overnight, but at different times. My system is set not to sleep, only turn off the display. If I hit a key on the keyboard the display comes on and I see a mouse cursor on a black screen, but the cursor won't move.

The Console logs never show nothing useful preceding the freeze. I never see any on-screen errors during the freeze. I've got an external PTRG system monitoring SNMP of the Hackintosh. That confirms there is no runaway memory or CPU processes that precede a freeze.

I'm using an NVIDIA 740 with NVIDIA's drivers and two 27" displays. As an experiment I removed the NVIDIA card and ran on integrated Intel graphics for a while. I still had the freezing, though it seemed less frequent.

I've also tried with and without my iCloud account logged in.

The only odd-ball thing I'm doing is a custom "Fusion" drive which combined a M.2 SSD with a 2TB SATA drive. Everything else is very typical.

The freezing is more irritating than anything else. Hitting the reset button gets me back in business in about 30 seconds. I'd love to solve it though, and appreciate any advice.

I think you have a different problem as you have an nVidia card. I'd check drivers and versions. This problem is (for us) specific to the 280X.

Rob

I think someone else mentioned also having an audio patch installed. I have the 1150 ALC audio kext installed from multibeast to get my ports to work. Could this be it?

z97 asus board, 280x gigabyte card, el cap 10.11.3, alc audio kext.

I don't have on board audio at all as its disabled. I use an external USB module, an iRig.

Rob

Ya it's an odd one to be sure, and you and I have different 280x cards as well with what sounds like the same issue. Mine is an ASUS Direct CU II card and I'm starting to wonder if the factory overclock may have something to do with it, but I am just too damn lazy to put the card in my PC to reflash/down clock it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back