Contribute
Register

Possible disadvantages for having multiple OSs on one SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm sorry I already posted my question on the multi-boot thread but maybe I fits better in here.
Further I would like to say that this a awesome forum and a great crowd the amount of information and help I found so far and received really helped me a lot in the decision process what to and where to buy :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I'm pretty sure that the question to my answer is already somewhere in the depth of this forum but even by using the search for this topic quit intensively I'm still not sure what to make out of it (i've to say I don't like the google search that much :cool: ).

I'm struggling a little bit about the possible disadvantages when putting all three of my OSs (Win7/Linux-Ubuntu/MacOS-Lion) on one SSD and just spread the data over different HDDs

Maybe I misread the multi-boot guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 but at the end it's mentioned that when you put all OS of mutliboot system on one drive you'll have some issues with the automatic updates of MacOS and you've to apply them manually?!

Less space on your SSD. That's a given. But the updates (Only the combo updates) are needed to be ran manually because you need to install/run MultiBeast before the reboot or it won't work.

I'm sorry I'm a complete noob here but how would that be different when I had a separate SSD for each OS or at least a dedicated ssd for Lion alone, I still would need to install/run Multibeast right?
For my first hackintosh I've a unibeast stick already prepared and ready to go :thumbup:

Yes you would still need to.

Please correct me when I'm wrong. I thought that multibeast is an application which I ran while being in MacOS e.g. Lion. So I only download the combo updates and then start multibeast and apply the updates or is it more like I need to somehow boot multibeast (usb stick) and then access my Lion partion and apply the updates in this way.
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm confused :?

Okay, you use Unibeast to boot and install Lion. Then for the first time you have to use the unibeast drive to boot into lion. Then ONCE IN LION you run Multibeast for driver's configs etc. Hope this helps! And for some updates like the 10.7.4 update (for me and my sandy bridge CPU and IntelCPUPowerManagement) i had to run multibeast again before rebooting. :thumbup:

dakotar said:
... And for some updates like the 10.7.4 update (for me and my sandy bridge CPU and IntelCPUPowerManagement) i had to run multibeast again before rebooting. :thumbup:

This means after the download of the updates and the installation process when the system (Lion) tells you to reboot you had to run multibeast again to do the necessary changes in the customizing and then do the reboot, right?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a wise guy here but the multibeast step/part is independent of the fact if I'm using two dedicated drives for a multi boot system or if I've only would have one drive containing all OSs?!

Both event's have no connection. Just make sure your boot drive is plugged into SATA1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back