Register

Possible craigslist find

Good Buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello folks,
I have found a possible craigslist find for a G5 build. It has already had "most" most of the modifications done needed for a proper G5 build. In the ad link to original ad: <http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/sys/4276859699.html> he asks to make an offer. I'm not sure what a fair offer would be because I do not know what he has put into the odd he has done. He is basically offering it because he "can't get enough airflow through it to cool his GPU". From inspecting the pictures he had attached to the ad it appears that he did not put fans on the correct areas to cool the case correctly and it was also using a mATX board which hampered airflow as well. Also from how it appears he removed the OEM front panel. Does anyone know where one is able to the preferred front panel and cable or wiring diagram to properly wire the power, FireWire and USB?

I've attached pictures to the posting as well.

Attachments

• 00A0A_4nBBNn6lRks_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_4nBBNn6lRks_600x450.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 00K0K_6tWoZo7BcWz_600x450.jpg
    00K0K_6tWoZo7BcWz_600x450.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 215
  • 00t0t_1Hw2sfVkp9E_600x450-1.jpg
    00t0t_1Hw2sfVkp9E_600x450-1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 193
I think that a couple of front mounted intake fans would solve any problems feeding the graphics card cool air, but the singel 80mm exhaust fan is less than ideal for aiding airflow through the case. Also, how exactly does a micro ATX motherboard hamper airflow vs other board sizes?

I would determine what all is included with the case before making an offer, I'd say it's worth $100 absolute max without the PSU included. I've picked up fully functioning G5s for $60, and have seen them sold as cases only or just for parts for as low as $30.

Hello folks,
I have found a possible craigslist find for a G5 build. It has already had "most" most of the modifications done needed for a proper G5 build. In the ad link to original ad: <http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/sys/4276859699.html> he asks to make an offer. I'm not sure what a fair offer would be because I do not know what he has put into the odd he has done. He is basically offering it because he "can't get enough airflow through it to cool his GPU". From inspecting the pictures he had attached to the ad it appears that he did not put fans on the correct areas to cool the case correctly and it was also using a mATX board which hampered airflow as well. Also from how it appears he removed the OEM front panel. Does anyone know where one is able to the preferred front panel and cable or wiring diagram to properly wire the power, FireWire and USB?

I've attached pictures to the posting as well.

From my point of view the system would have to be local and I would have to see it to determine if it is worth owning. A very clean case without blemishes has value, while one that is scuffed, scratched or bent is not worth taking home for free. And missing parts are a major hit.

And if you end up needing parts for the front panel, let me know as I have extra in my parts bin.

Good modding,
neil

Personally I wouldn't buy it. I am going with what neil said. Those pictures do not show any of the case flaws. I was fortunate to hand pick my cases in person and not off the internet. If you have some skills with tools it is a much better experience doing it yourself. I think you will take a lot more pride in starting from scratch and tearing a complete g5. You also get to keep the parts from it that you want to reuse. If you do want some parts he does not offer it might get a little pricy buying them off ebay.

Ricky

If the seller will let you visually inspect the case before you buy and you can snag it for less than $100 with the PSU I would say go for it. It also wouldn't hurt to ask the seller if he still has the parts that he removed before he did his build, as he may have the parts you need to finish up the mod to your satisfaction.

Now that I am settled in at my new house I'm started to get back into the mindset to do my G5 conversion.. I still want to get my windows gaming PC setup in a G5 case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back