Motherboard
Gigabyte H270-HD3
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook
My iMac's screen is currently dying, so I set up a brand new hackintosh, and got it to work so far. However I haven't transferred my user data or my bootcamp partition over yet, as the solid state disk is too small to take all the data.
Now I had a different idea, instead of copying over data I could physically remove my still perfectly serviceable hard disk and swap it into the new machine, as I will likely not use my old machine again.
Has anyone ever done this? Will the fact that it is a bootcamp partition cause any trouble?

Also, are there any possible problems on the mac side to anticipate?

If you are thinking that that old bootcamp drive might boot then you are in for a rude awakening. That bootcamp drive will not have any of the kexts that are required to boot a hack. The special files that Apple puts in a bootcamp partition are all related to getting Apple’s hardware to work with Windows and the chances of your new hack having similar combinations of hardware are slim.

You will need to run MultiBeast with all the proper checkboxes ticked on. Also, does that bootcamp disk have an EFI partition already?

I re-read your post and think that I might have misunderstood what you are asking. Are you asking to boot the Windows drive on the new PC you built? If so, you just might be able to. I did just that with my Win7 bootcamp disk several years ago. Windows booted up and recognized that it was on new hardware and went to work updating the drivers and stuff and after about 20 minutes things were working fine. Except that I had to reactivate Windows.

For future reference of anyone trying this. I went ahead and just did it, and the windows partition seems to boot without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back