Contribute
Register

Poor performance in geekbench and cinebench!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
I've finally got my system running with everything functional, but the performance is really bad! Here are my cinebench and geekbench scores in MAC vs W7. I also have details on how I assembled my installation:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6816

cinebench.png
cinebenchwin.png

trichannel.png

geekbenchwindows.png

USER_01 over at insanelymac gave a utility for making your own DSDT called DSDT_Patcher_GUI. Using the files created, better scores were hit. I still haven't used the utility because if I can't boot back in I will be stuck. Got to go get a backup drive and time machine it. But we have the same problem. I am getting 12.64 FPS

Here is the link and his post was #193
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199818&st=180

Attachments

• DSDT_Patcher_GUI.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Douirc said:
I've finally got my system running with everything functional, but the performance is really bad! Here are my cinebench and geekbench scores in MAC vs W7. I also have details on how I assembled my installation:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6816
My CustoMac Pro X58 is running at standard clock speed of 2.8 GHz and RAM running at 1600, I get a 32-bit Geekbench score of 8794.

Are you using a DSDT from the database? Do you have all CPU features enabled in the BIOS?

MacMan, I have almost the same setup you do. Core i5 2.8, 4GB 1600 ram, and 32bit. I get around 6500. I'm using the DSDT from the database and all the features are turned on in the bios.

laguna1212 said:
MacMan, I have almost the same setup you do. Core i5 2.8, 4GB 1600 ram, and 32bit. I get around 6500. I'm using the DSDT from the database and all the features are turned on in the bios.
On my Core i5 I get around the same number. I had 6696 but that was back on 10.6.2. I know it went down in 10.6.3/10.6.4.

i just put together a x58, i7-950 for a friend and that machine scores around 9300 in geekbench. i struggled for about a day to get the scores up, from 5000, then 6000, the 7000, then 8000, ultimately it was some bios settings but the big winner was the cpu heatsink. the intel one was loose initially, then when i reseated it it was better but temps still too high. with an aftermarket one i dropped the temps like 20c and now it flies. so what temps are the cpu running with geekbench? they should be below 60c, i think above 80c the cpu will start throttling to protect it.

the onyl difference between my build is that we used an radeon 5770, but i think geekbench is really only a cpu + mem test, so i don't think this would affect it.

for reference my p55, i7-870 gets a geekbench score around 9100

MacMan said:
Douirc said:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6816
My CustoMac Pro X58 is running at standard clock speed of 2.8 GHz and RAM running at 1600, I get a 32-bit Geekbench score of 8794.

Are you using a DSDT from the database? Do you have all CPU features enabled in the BIOS?

ok MacMan, let me give you a quick rundown and maybe you can tell me where things are going wrong. After a clean install using iBoot NVIDIA 4xx-1 I ran geekbench and scored 11585, better than my W7 score. I upgraded to 10.6.4, and still the same score. I installed DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0-FB.aml using MultiBeast 2.3.0 (with no other options). The results were: I couldn't boot from hdd, only from iBoot cd, the video card and monitor were recognized by the OS (but the video performance was not enhanced) and the geekbench score was still good, around 11.5k. To get the machine to boot from hdd, I ran multibeast again and picked 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No and Mac Pro -> Core i7. This time the machine boots from hdd, but my video card is no longer recognized, the monitor went back to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 and the geekbench score went down to 7k, loosing all my performance.

This basically tells me it's something with the Core i7 and/or GraphicsEnabler options, but I can't believe those simple options would kill the performance. Also, things work great with the iBoot NVIDIA 4xx-1 cd. Is there something I can extract from that cd that would make the system run normal?

I feel like i'm so close to getting everything working WITH great performance.

UPDATE:

ok, one more thing, after a complete installation with poor performance and wrong resolution booting from the hdd, i tried booting from the iBoot NVIDIA 4xx-1 cd and choosing my installaton. it loads with the video card and monitor recognized with the right resolution and also has normal peformance! something about this CD is working great but I'm not 100% sure what it is. What can I extract from the CD and replace in my installation to make everything work right? Is it the DSDT?

UPDATE:

something else I noticed is the com.apple.Boot.plist on the iBoot NVIDIA 4xx-1 cd has <string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>. If I try doing this to my install the system crashes (locks up...forgot the formal name for it) during bootup. I would assume this means that the cd has some driver on it to support the fermi card so the GraphicsEnabler string can be set to Yes. any way to extract this kext from the cd? am i even thinking this through correctly?

Here is a post from someone that could have it going stable:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6816

The Fermi drivers only let your resolution go so high. No real support yet for them, and that is why multibeast combinations may tweek things in the wrong direction I think.

The NVidia 4xx Cards will take a while to get rolling. I think they have to get a graphics package like ATI did for them to work stable. But don't let this stop you if you can get the stuff to work I would gladly buy a 480! I hate ATI's drivers and I wouldn't have used them had 4xx support been available.

ok...been doing a bunch more reading, forum searching, etc and this is what I found...

post 577 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1535403)

following these installation instructions i was able to get the following scores:

myhackscores.png

impressively, I scored better on the cpu score in MAC than in Windows 7, so I'm very happy there. the OpenGL score still sucks it, but it's a ton better than the previous 17.13 fps. my only new problem is sound. audio is not working for some reason. i tried installing from MultiBeast 2.3.0 (which always worked before), but now it's not working. I also noticed the little audio icon in the top right corner is gone, which used to be there after a clean install and would work after the mb ALC889 option. i'm gonna keep working on that but if anyone has suggestions, or can quickly point me to the kext for alc889 that would be great.

i have a feeling, since there's no formal driver support from mac or nvidia for fermi cards, that my opengl score is as good as it's going to get. anyone know how that score compares to a radeon 5870 card?

Funny you should ask how it compares to the 5870. I just had the 5770 and it scored 32.29 and I was not impressed so I thought it was the card. I went and bought the 5780 thinking this will rock out! It scored 33.67... Something is definitely wrong. I actually used Final Cut Pro 6 to export a 1 min file to ProResHQ 422 from a Canon 5D H.264 file. Took 3 minutes. Then I took the Pro Res file and exported to SD DVD and it took 45 sec. Then with my new 5780 I did the same test on the SD DVD and it took 1:15. So the 5780 just slowed it down!

Yeah my CPU is not overclocked yet but it is right below the Xeons at 8.57

I am gonna do a fresh install and start over because when I updated to 10.6.4 and Graphics Update I started Multibeast and chose my installs and as I typed my password Multibeast and the other 2 installers dissapeared and MBeast had an error so I ran MB again and reconfiged from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back