Contribute
Register

Poor GeekBench Score for i7-3770k (@3.5ghz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mac
CPU
i7
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys-

before I get into overclocking, I want to find out why my Geekbench is so low. I am getting 13,319- and I should be getting about 17,000 according to Geekbench systems.

I am using an ASrock Extreme4 Z77 w modded BIOS & 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Memory.

I think everything is ok, and the CPU is being detected correctly. Any tips? :beachball:

-Dion

p.s. Is there a good alternate to FRAPS? Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 4.31.33 PM.png

Hi Guys-

before I get into overclocking, I want to find out why my Geekbench is so low. I am getting 13,319- and I should be getting about 17,000 according to Geekbench systems.

I am using an ASrock Extreme4 Z77 w modded BIOS & 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Memory.

I think everything is ok, and the CPU is being detected correctly. Any tips? :beachball:

-Dion

p.s. Is there a good alternate to FRAPS?View attachment 42031

No way should you be getting 17000 results on stock..lol...if only...my i7 3770k is running at 4.6 and that gives me a geek score of around 17300. stock geek scores for that CPU float around the mid 13000 up to the high 15000 depending on the board you are using and how your MB is configured.
Reset your board back to default and test it again.

No way should you be getting 17000 results on stock..lol...if only...my i7 3770k is running at 4.6 and that gives me a geek score of around 17300. stock geek scores for that CPU float around the mid 13000 up to the high 15000 depending on the board you are using and how your MB is configured.
Reset your board back to default and test it again.

I agree, 17,000 is to much to expect for an i7-3770K at 3.5 GHz. I'm getting about 14,600 with an i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz with 16 MB of RAM.

-bth

Wow! I am still getting 13,300 or in that neighborhood.

Would 16GB Ram bump your score up 1,000?

I find it hard to believe that from one Z77 board to another there could be a 10% difference. I have to have a setting off somewhere.... All seems good in the BIOS. Even Sleep is working.

Do you guys think the Gigabyte is worth the extra money? I got the ASROCK for $135.00, and the Gigabyte with TH seems to be about 100 bucks more at least.

Best,
Dion

Some boards 'cheat' by default by setting all-core turbo to single-core turbo value (so for example using a 3770k, the 'default' 4 core turbo is set to 39 instead of 37). Asus and Gigabyte do this by default, not sure about other MB makers.

They aren't actually faster, as regardless of the board you can set it to do the same thing. It's just if you do nothing, some boards will be faster due to this.

Some boards 'cheat' by default by setting all-core turbo to single-core turbo value (so for example using a 3770k, the 'default' 4 core turbo is set to 39 instead of 37). Asus and Gigabyte do this by default, not sure about other MB makers.

They aren't actually faster, as regardless of the board you can set it to do the same thing. It's just if you do nothing, some boards will be faster due to this.

Wow- cool. Thanks for the tip. Now that I have my build in good shape (Video, MBOX 2, etc) Im starting to realize that going with a Gigabyte would be a better idea anyway for my Studio build- and I wouldn't have to mod the bios.

Im going to try and get a stable 4.0GHZ with my stock fan, and no Voltage offset. What are you using to cool your system at 4.5 GHz?

Wow- cool. Thanks for the tip. Now that I have my build in good shape (Video, MBOX 2, etc) Im starting to realize that going with a Gigabyte would be a better idea anyway for my Studio build- and I wouldn't have to mod the bios.

Im going to try and get a stable 4.0GHZ with my stock fan, and no Voltage offset. What are you using to cool your system at 4.5 GHz?

You should be able to hit 4.0ghz with no problem on stock voltage and cooling maybe even 4.2ghz just make sure you stress test it to make sure it's stable. (12 hours of prime95 and you know your good).
I use a corsair H80i closed water loop but I've changed the fans to silent ones as I can't stand noise and I've hit 4.8ghz stable but 4.6ghz is perfect for my needs.

On your geekbench score, if you havnt already then install hardware monitor via multibeast and check and make sure that your i7 is hitting 3.9ghz when its under load. I did a build for a friend using a i7 3770k on a gigabyte GA-Q77M board and it was only hitting 3.7ghz instead of 3.9ghz underload. The way I resolved it was by changing the system profile from MacPro to Mac mini and then the turbo kicked in normally and hit 3.9ghz like it was meant too.

P.s. you have a great board already and shouldn't need to change it for a gigabyte one or anything else.

hey guys can i take the go here to ask about my score? is it ok for my build?

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2012-12-26 às 07.47.02.png
    Captura de Tela 2012-12-26 às 07.47.02.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 317
You should be able to hit 4.0ghz with no problem on stock voltage and cooling maybe even 4.2ghz just make sure you stress test it to make sure it's stable. (12 hours of prime95 and you know your good).
I use a corsair H80i closed water loop but I've changed the fans to silent ones as I can't stand noise and I've hit 4.8ghz stable but 4.6ghz is perfect for my needs.

On your geekbench score, if you havnt already then install hardware monitor via multibeast and check and make sure that your i7 is hitting 3.9ghz when its under load. I did a build for a friend using a i7 3770k on a gigabyte GA-Q77M board and it was only hitting 3.7ghz instead of 3.9ghz underload. The way I resolved it was by changing the system profile from MacPro to Mac mini and then the turbo kicked in normally and hit 3.9ghz like it was meant too.

P.s. you have a great board already and shouldn't need to change it for a gigabyte one or anything else.

Thanks for the tip. I am not home right now but will try when I get back on Jan 1 :), along with Logic 9....

Do you know the best way to change the Profile? Is it right in Multibeast? I will check with hardware monitor too.

Thanks,
Dion

Thanks for the tip. I am not home right now but will try when I get back on Jan 1 :), along with Logic 9....

Do you know the best way to change the Profile? Is it right in Multibeast? I will check with hardware monitor too.

Thanks,
Dion

Yes you do it all via multibeast.

Have a great new year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back