Contribute
Register

Pointer to RAID-0 Guide - Works with Yosemite and TonyMacX86 Tool set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
RAID 0 drive sets - bootable - in Yosemite !

Did you know that you can still do RAID-0 system drive sets for silly fast booting using two small SSD drives? Yosemite 10.10 installed with UniBeast 5.01 built USB, MultiBeast 7 and Chimera 4.0.0.

Use this guide with the current TonyMacX86 tool set. You do need to download Pacifist (google for it) to extract the boot files needed.

Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

Oh! And be sure to go back through MultiBeast and add Trim support (Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.0 TRIM Patch).

This is a copy of my terminal session that I just ran on my “System on Slides” [SOS] hack.

SOS:~ neil$ cd Desktop
SOS:Desktop neil$ sudo su

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
sh-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID 127.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_RAID 119.7 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_HFS Y-RAID-0 *239.4 GB disk2
/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *80.0 GB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS BkUp 79.7 GB disk3s2
/dev/disk4
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS Data-1 249.7 GB disk4s2
/dev/disk5
0: GUID_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk5
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk5s1
2: Apple_HFS Mav-10.9.5 79.5 GB disk5s2
3: Apple_HFS Yos-2 79.5 GB disk5s4
sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
sh-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.016689 secs (61358 bytes/sec)
sh-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.002132 secs (480314 bytes/sec)
sh-3.2# diskutil mount disk1s3
Volume Boot OS X on disk1s3 mounted
sh-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
sh-3.2# cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
sh-3.2# diskutil unmount disk1s3
Volume Boot OS X on disk1s3 unmounted
sh-3.2# diskutil mount disk0s3
Volume Boot OS X on disk0s3 mounted
sh-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
sh-3.2# cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
sh-3.2# diskutil unmount disk0s3
Volume Boot OS X on disk0s3 unmounted
sh-3.2#

And I will attach my “Extra” directory for those that may want to see its’ contents.

Good modding,
neil

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    956.9 KB · Views: 399
Seems to have worked well for me on the upgrade. Thanks for this guide, it's great. I should put it into a file just incase it ever gets taken down. Thanks again.

Hello Neil, I have followed your guide on my marverics installation, and I build a Raid w/ 2 64g toshiba suds, and it worked at first try, supper fast, than I upgraded my sister to Yosemite, I used a separate drive to install yosemite and clone to the raid set, followed the guide again, but this time when I reboot the system, and pull the main hard drive out and leave the raid sat only, I get a message "can't find mach Kernel" .When I plug the main HD or the usb installer and use its boot loader, and choose the raid set ssds, it boot into the raid.

Tried to mount the Boot OS X of both drives and check the raid Identifier, and it shows the uuid identifier, and I changed to the Raid Identifier, no luck. Added the raid Identifier to the chameleon boot playlist, nothing changed.

The only thing I did different from your tutorial was adding the raid Identifier, witch it seams not to make any difference.

Do you know what it could be happening??

Please let me know you can help me, if have a solution. I did the hole process 3 times...

The Mach Kernel message tells that it can't find a file, that , when I log in to the system I can't find also, it is searching on a wrong place or wrong file I guess.

I added the image of the message during boot process...

I just want to thank you for the tutorial, and appreciate if you can provide me w/ further assistance.

Thanks much...Regards
Arthur

IMG_5172.jpg

Humm... Well first I would check to see if one of the RAID set drives is connected to the SATA 0 port and is first in line to boot in the BIOS.

And in sure that you are using Chimera 4.0.0.

Good modding,
neil

Would any future change to extras folder via Multibeast need to be copied to both EFI partitions or will Multibeast write to both partitions at once?

Yes the problem with maintenance of RAID sets is that you have manually place the /Extra in each of the Boot OS X partition. The ones found in the root of the RAID set are not used by the system.

And this is with Chimera or Chameleon. I have not unlocked the process for bootable RAID sets under Clover yet.

Neil

Yes the problem with maintenance of RAID sets is that you have manually place the /Extra in each of the Boot OS X partition. The ones found in the root of the RAID set are not used by the system.

And this is with Chimera or Chameleon. I have not unlocked the process for bootable RAID sets under Clover yet.

Neil

Thanks for confirming. I am lazy so I installed Clover to a separate m.2 SSD drive on my board as my boot drive and just cloned my RAID and not fiddle with the EFI partitions on my RAID drives.

Nel I was just wandering I have use maverick in Raid 0 for 6 Months or better by using you guide and had know problem. I have a good working Yosemite on my back up drive. I thought I could just clone onto my Raid 0 set. Then I try to boot up and it would not.
I use my thumb drive and could boot in to my boot 0 and was able to boot in YOSEMITE. It looks like when I clone my back up Yosemite into my raid0 set it did not copy my boot0 files.
Just wandering sence I can boot up my raid 0 can and I use pacelist to extract the 386 folder and copy the extra folder to my disktop
Then go a head and run all the terminal application app. and put in all the commands? Do I have to starst from the beging? What is your advice.
Thanks, Ron

Hey Neil, Chimera 3.0.1 , missed that!! Will try again!! Thanks a Lott!

Neil I am having this problem< Do you open the Terminal in raid0 set or do you open your Terminal or the Hard drive that you clone from? I have try both ways when I type ast login: Tue Nov 4 14:55:04 on console
Rons-Mac-Pro:~ Ronnie$ cd Desktop
Rons-Mac-Pro:Desktop Ronnie$ sudo su
Password:
sh-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID 239.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1