Contribute
Register

Pointer to RAID 0 Guide - Works with Mavericks - uses TonyMacX86 tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have just finished updating to Mavericks on my desktop hacks, three with RAID 0 system drives. I found that I had to re-write the Chimera 2.2.1 boot files to the RAID sets after cloning Mavericks to the RAID set from my working 10.9 partition.

To avoid loosing my apps and data, I used the UniBeast Mavericks USB installer and ran the upgrade process and then MB 6.0. I did this on my backup partitions and worked with them until I was satisfied that everything was working. Then cloned to the RAID set.

I used my guide for 10.8.5 found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

Good modding,
neil

thanks for you raid 0 guide Neil.

Im having trouble booting from my raid 0 boot drive. i think i need to rewrite the boot files like you stated.
but im not to sure how to do that. Could you go into my detail how to do that?

thanks for you raid 0 guide Neil.

Im having trouble booting from my raid 0 boot drive. i think i need to rewrite the boot files like you stated.
but im not to sure how to do that. Could you go into my detail how to do that?

Please take a look at the guide as it is step by step with every key stroked needed. When updating an existing RAID such as going from 10.8.5 to 10.9, and you have new or changed contents of the /Extra directory, you will need to copy it over to the /Volumes/Boot OS X directory (see the guide).

Good modding,
neil

thanks for responding.
I redid my raid install with your guide and I'm good to go.

Upgraded from ml to mavericks on a raid 10 esata rocketraid 2302. Been using it since snow leopard.

Thanks for the time you too to do this. At first I had a drive issue (old crappy drive) which meant the clone wasn't working well. Once I tried a different drive, it took about ten minutes. Brilliant.

@neilhart

Is TRIM working in RAID-0 on SSDs? Because last I heard it doesn't, so SSD performance will degrade after a short while.

@neilhart

Is TRIM working in RAID-0 on SSDs? Because last I heard it doesn't, so SSD performance will degrade after a short while.

Yes in theory that is true. In reality I don't see it. This screen capture is from just now off of "the Black" which has been running 24/7 for months on this RAID 0 set of San Disk SSDs. However I did just clone over the Mavericks installation last weekend.
SSD-Raid.jpg

And all of my data is kept on a 2TB hard disk with only OS, apps, and current projects on the RAID set.

Good modding,
neil

Hi wonder if you could help me out? I follow the guide and everything went well until this point. When I type in dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3 I hit return and it said operation not suppoted

Last login: Fri Dec 6 20:02:53 on console
rons-mac-pro:~ Ron$ cd Desktop
rons-mac-pro:Desktop Ron$ sudo su
Password:
sh-3.2# diskutill list
sh: diskutill: command not found
sh-3.2# diskutill list
sh: diskutill: command not found
sh-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID 239.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_RAID 239.7 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS BackUp:Cloner 999.9 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: Apple_HFS Raid 0 *479.4 GB disk3
sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk2
sh-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.002192 secs (467149 bytes/sec)
sh-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3
dd: /dev/rdisk2s3: Operation not supported
sh-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3
dd: /dev/rdisk2s3: Operation not supported
sh-3.2#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back