Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 5850 1Gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Many people have asked me to make a topic about PMPatch on this forum. So be it.
The original topic on AppleLife.ru is here (beware Russian language all over the place), InsanelyMac topic is here (read it first, if you have a question).

I wrote an utility to patch modern UEFI BIOSes from different vendors to prevent them from locking MSR 0xE2 and therefore make the system with patched BIOS compatible with native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
It's tested on ASUS (AMI), Asrock (AMI), Acer (Phoenix), Dell (Phoenix and InsydeH2O), Lenovo (Phoenix), MSI (AMI), Toshiba (InsudeH2O), Sony (Phoenix), Zotac (AMI) and works without any issues.
For Dell users with Phoenix SCT 2.0 BIOSes I added an additional patch to unlock hidden BIOS setups.

The utility is BSD-licensed and available on GitHub.
Compiled versions for Windows and OS X are here.
Latest version is 0.5.13

Usage: pmpatch /path/to/original.bios /path/to/patched.bios

This program is still in development and can produce corrupt BIOS images, try them on your own risk.
I need testers with different boards from different vendors to make the utility better, so if you have enough courage or a spare BIOS chip - please try it and report in this topic.
Thank you in advance.

Cool, but why don't you credit the people who made this all possible? I mean. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext KP'ed with 0xe2 being locked, and it was my sister (Sam aka RevoGirl) who located the problem, so let's be fair shall we. Thanks!

CodeRush deserves a great deal of the credit considering he created an automated solution, something which puts PM in the hands of everyone using non-Gigabyte boards, entirely within OSX. And he started contributing soon after becoming a hackintosher, so kudos for giving back so quickly. Welcome to TMX.

coderush changed the game with this, so massive thanks.

Hey CodeRush,

I just put a build together with the eVGA z77 Stinger that I cant get working. The Stinger was given to me and I decided to build my first hackintosh. I do not have much experience in this field, however Im dead set on getting this to work.

So far Ive been able to install mountain lion, but can however only boot in safe mode. Im wondering if I need a patched bios to make it run, and if the PMPatch is applicable on this mobo?

Would appreciate any help!

Can you please attach a BIOS file? EVGA FTP seems not working. I will test is and see if it can be done.
Patch is useful only for working with vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, nothing more.

CodeRush,

Thank you for your reply. Please find the attached BIOS file.

I have managed to get Mountain Lion to boot normally from the Unibeast boot USB drive choosing the Mountain Lion installation. However, as soon as I install any version of Chimera to get it to boot without USB drive I get kernel panic and it will not boot at all using any kind of flag so only option then is to reinstall everything.

I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but if I patch my BIOS and then install Chimera, will the installation alter the BIOS patch and mess it up?

Thank you very much for doing what you are doing!!

Attachments

• E692_122.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 694
Oh, and here's my DSDT.aml file.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 375
PMPatch is definitely applicable on this board.
Code:
Nikolajs-iMac:Downloads rush$ ./PMPatch 1E692122.BIN 1E692122.MOD
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
[B]Nested PowerManagement module at 003B7E54 patched.[/B]
Gap module inserted after repacked module.
AMI nest module at 004D0048 patched.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0079FFF0 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
[B]Output file generated.[/B]
This is your patched file, replace original BIN-file with this one and flash it from DOS.

Attachments

• 1E692122.BIN.zip
    3 MB · Views: 406
Hey coderush,

Im trying to use your tool to patch my InsydeH20 bios on my Alienware M14x R2 and it cant find any module. I have attched the bios, it is a .exe.

Thanks

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mo>cd downloads

C:\Users\Mo\Downloads>cd PMPatch_0.5.11_win

C:\Users\Mo\Downloads\PMPatch_0.5.11_win>PMPatch.exe C:\Users\Mo\Downloads\M14R2
A11WIN.exe C:\Users\Mo\Downloads\M14R2A11WIN.exepa
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement modules not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei modules not found.

C:\Users\Mo\Downloads\PMPatch_0.5.11_win>

Attachments

• M14R2A11WIN.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 560
Status
Not open for further replies.