Contribute
Register

Pls help I'm SOOO close. High Sierra. Pls read. Simple fix I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RTX 2070 + UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Portable
  7. Power Mac
  8. Quadra
  9. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all, so I get the installer made and boot up and go ahead and go through the first install process formatting the drive etcetera Etc and then when it reboots to go into the second phase to do the clean install it gets almost all the way done and then gives me an error message with no specifics just failed to initialize properly or something like that and my only option is to restart so I go back into the boot disk and find out that even though I formatted hfsplus the High Sierra installer converted it to a PFS so my question is, is this why my install keeps failing and do I need to add the a PFS file or text to my EFI volume on the new boot disk? Or do I use Clover to configure it differently or add it in there? I think this is the only thing holding me up at this point but I'm not sure what to do or how to do it so if someone could explain that part to me I would be ever so grateful. I'm installing onto a solid state drive and I do have a Santa to USB connector so I can easily connect the drive to my MacBook error and mount the EFI partition if I need to so if anyone could help me maybe figure out this last step I think I'm good to go and I can handle the rest I just need to get to that second part of the installation so it can finish properly without giving me the failed message with the only option to restart and try again. Thank you so much I look forward to any and all help that I can get I'm so close LOL thank You!

High Sierra installer from Mac App store, boot disk (usb 16GB) created with unibeast for High Sierra,
Target disk is a SanDisk 480GB 3D Ultra SSD formatted as HFS+ Journaled using disk utility.
I have injected nvidia drivers and also tries injecting the intel graphics 4000 also and booted each time in their respective settings and after the initial boot when I reboot back and select the hfs+ newly created volume to finalize the installation where you setup keyboard and language etc that's where it gets to the end and then gives me the error and the restart button and just keeps doing the same. I THINK what might be going on is High Sierra is converting to APFS even though I formatted as hfs+ and so I put the apfs.efi driver in the SSD (target drive) so it's "supported" but not sure if that's the correct procedure for that or if there's a better one. Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

• 20180928_105205.jpg
    20180928_105205.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
You should read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

have I broken one?
I get the installer made and boot up and go ahead and go through the first install process formatting the drive etcetera Etc and then when it reboots to go into the second phase to do the clean install it gets almost all the way done and then gives me an error message with no specifics just failed to initialize properly or something like that and my only option is to restart so I go back into the boot disk and find out that even though I formatted hfsplus the High Sierra installer converted it to a PFS so my question is, is this why my install keeps failing

• Your profile does not show the full name of your Intel CPU. You have omitted the 4 digit code after i5. It is important as some i5 have associated Intel HD Graphics and some don't. Please edit that to indicate what i5 you have on that Build.

• Your problem as you suspected may be from
    • your Target Hard disk not properly "Erased" or
    • you have selected the wrong icon from Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen during the reboot.
  • Please provide what type of Hard disk is the target for High Sierra Installation and how exactly (details rather than glossing over with "etc". Screen shots uploaded to the Forum would be more descriptive and preferable) you have prepared the disk in Disk Utility before you launched macOS Installation on it.

• Your profile does not show the full name of your Intel CPU. You have omitted the 4 digit code after i5. It is important as some i5 have associated Intel HD Graphics and some don't. Please edit that to indicate what i5 you have on that Build.
  • Your problem as you suspected may be from
    • your Target Hard disk not properly "Erased" or
    • you have selected the wrong icon from Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen during the reboot.
  • Please provide what type of Hard disk is the target for High Sierra Installation and how exactly (details rather than glossing over with "etc". Screen shots uploaded to the Forum would be more descriptive and preferable) you have prepared the disk in Disk Utility before you launched macOS Installation on it.

OH, gotcha. Ok I'll update in just a bit, oopsie my apologies. I wasn't home and just thought I'd get it going to see if I had any replies but yes, I suppose some more info and spec may help lol. TY!!

OK I updated specs and CPU info as well as some steps I took in the procedure before I get the error and restart button seen in the attached pic :)

Thank you,
Lane

Last edited:
OH, gotcha. Ok I'll update in just a bit, oopsie my apologies. I wasn't home and just thought I'd get it going to see if I had any replies but yes, I suppose some more info and spec may help lol. TY!!

OK I updated specs and CPU info as well as some steps I took in the procedure before I get the error and restart button seen in the attached pic :)

Thank you,
Lane
  • Thank you Lane, for reading my response and providing the sequence of events that led to your installation failure.
  • I 'll try to help, but if I fail I believe the Moderators with much better expertise with a lot more hardware used for Hackintosh, will step in to help you with your complete Hardware SPECS, steps followed that led to the Installation error shown on your uploaded image on #1.
  • The good news for you is that your hardware is good enough for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 as well as macOS Mojave Gold just released.

• I have the exact same MoBo GA-B85M-DS3H but CPU Intel i3-4160 (Intel HD 4400 which for all practical purposes is similar to your Intel HD 4600 for your i5 4670K as far as Hackintosh [ Intel HD 4600 :Fake ID IntelGfx 04128086 and ig-platform -id =0D220003] but I use a natively supported Nvidia GT 710 without any Fake ID, ig-platform-id or or Boot flags running Mojave 10.14 from an SSD in APFS format in GUID Partition scheme after being upgraded from 10.13.6.
  • My suggestion at this time is to start with a new macOS High Sierra USB installer with a working EFI folder ( I use Terminal commands to install macOS installer and manually install clover EFI and edit all CLOVER folders and config.plist to suite my hardware on a 16GB USB Flash disk with a Good LED light) and Partition and Format the SSD in GUID + APFS .
  • My recommendation is to install using your Intel HD 4600 initially (with your Current Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti out of the PCIE socket) . Once your system is fully updated and running OK with the Integrated Intel HD 4600 you can install Nvidia Webdriver.
  • Install Nvidia Web Drivers (latest) with all the precautions needed (example SIP ENABLED ) . You should read the complete details about NVIDIA installation to avoid Black screen on boot or inability to boot after Nvidia Cards which are not natively supported in Hackintosh BEFORE trying to install them.
  • With the Nvidia Web driver installed, reboot, change BIOS settings from the previous Initial Display First from IGFX to PEG as ENABLED and Disabling Intel Processor associated Graphics and then shut down and Insert the removed PCIE card (NVIDIA GTX 1060) to the First PCIE 16 slot and connect the HDMI cable from the Intel Graphics' Port to Nvidia Graphics Card's port and reconnect Power and reboot and make sure to Enter the BIOS (del key) and verify that in BIOS, it is still showing your PEG as the graphics card and first boot device is your MacOS High Sierra SSD and all other devices in Boot Option Priorities list are Disabled .
  • Save BIOS with F-10 and boot
  • In CBM screen make sure you boot with Options>Boot Args has dart=0 -v and GraphicsInjector-> has [√] NvidiaWeb as you expect after correctly installing Nvidia web driver.

Last edited:
  • Thank you Lane, for reading my response and providing the sequence of events that led to your installation failure.
  • I 'll try to help, but if I fail I believe the Moderators with much better expertise with a lot more hardware used for Hackintosh, will step in to help you with your complete Hard Disk SPECS, steps followed that led to the Installation error shown on your uploaded image on #1.
  • The good news for you is that your hardware is good enough for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 as well as macOS Mojave Gold just released.
  • I have the exact same MoBo GA-B85M-DS3H but CPU Intel i3-4160 (Intel HD 4400 which for all practical purposes is similar to your Intel HD 4600 for your i5 4670K as far as Hackintosh [ Intel HD 4600 :Fake ID IntelGfx 04128086 and ig-platform -id =0D220003] but I use a natively supported Nvidia GT 710 without any Fake ID, ig-platform-id or or Boot flags running Mojave 10.14 from an SSD in APFS format in GUID Partition scheme after being upgraded from 10.13.6.
  • My suggestion at this time is to start with a new macOS High Sierra USB installer with a working EFI folder ( I use Terminal commands to install macOS installer and manually install clover EFI and edit all CLOVER folders and config.plist to suite my hardware on a 16GB USB Flash disk with a Good LED light) and Partition and Format the SSD in GUID + APFS .
  • My recommendation is to install using your Intel HD 4600 initially (with your Current Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti out of the PCIE socket) . Once your system is fully updated and running OK with the Integrated Intel HD 4600 you can install Nvidia Webdriver.
  • Install Nvidia Web Drivers (latest) with all the precautions needed (example SIP ENABLED ) . You should read the complete details about NVIDIA installation to avoid Black screen on boot or inability to boot after Nvidia Cards which are not natively supported in Hackintosh BEFORE trying to install them.
  • With the Nvidia Web driver installed, reboot, change BIOS settings from the previous Initial Display First from IGFX to PEG as ENABLED and Disabling Intel Processor associated Graphics and then shut down and Insert the removed PCIE card (NVIDIA GTX 1060) to the First PCIE 16 slot and connect the HDMI cable from the Intel Graphics' Port to Nvidia Graphics Card's port and reconnect Power and reboot and make sure to Enter the BIOS (del key) and verify that in BIOS, it is still showing your PEG as the graphics card and first boot device is your MacOS High Sierra SSD and all other devices in Boot Option Priorities list is Disabled .
  • Save BIOS with F-10 and boot
  • In CBM screen make sure you boot with Options>Boot Args has dart=0 -v and GraphicsInjector-> has [√] NvidiaWeb as you expect after correctly installing Nvidia web driver.

Man! Thank you SOOO much! Super happy you have the same board lol. Ive been hackintoshed before a year ago and had a windows issue and it kinda all went to he%% and I changed my tower etc and then just never did it again and have been out of the loop a bit so I know I'm close and think yes, not using the nvidia is the key for the initial setup definitely. I'm going to jump in again tomorrow as I have most of the boot discs etc all ready (16gb with red light when in progress which is VERY handy as you know so you can see if they're thinking or not at all) Thanks a million and I'll report back after I try your methods. I appreciate it a ton! I am a MAc guy and have 2 actually so its very handy to reake the boot discs etc if I have to thankfully but it's a great CPU, Graphics card and ram so I can't wait to have it 'toshed ;-)

Thank you again and I'll update my status and/or if I'm up and running :)

Lane

Man! Thank you SOOO much! Super happy you have the same board lol. Ive been hackintoshed before a year ago and had a windows issue and it kinda all went to he%% and I changed my tower etc and then just never did it again and have been out of the loop a bit so I know I'm close and think yes, not using the nvidia is the key for the initial setup definitely. I'm going to jump in again tomorrow as I have most of the boot discs etc all ready (16gb with red light when in progress which is VERY handy as you know so you can see if they're thinking or not at all) Thanks a million and I'll report back after I try your methods. I appreciate it a ton! I am a MAc guy and have 2 actually so its very handy to reake the boot discs etc if I have to thankfully but it's a great CPU, Graphics card and ram so I can't wait to have it 'toshed ;-)

Thank you again and I'll update my status and/or if I'm up and running :)

Lane
Because it has been a difficult first install for you, I would also suggest you to disconnect windows | Linux System hard disks from the MoBo (disconnect Power or SATA cable which ever is easier) during Hackintosh installation.

Reconnect them once your Hackintosh is running flawless with all the updates and applications you use with CLOVER containing Mac as the first boot and only system disk Enabled in Boot Option Priorities list.

Windows and Linux must be in UEFI Mode like the Mac for a smooth multi-booting.

In my Computer I have multi-disk multi-boot from CLOVER as the Bootloader and Ubuntu|Windows 10 pro| Mojave GOLD as UEFI at present.
Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back