RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
P43A0958.jpg

A recent discovery led me to purchase an Apple TV last weekend and that reason is PlexConnect. If you run Plex and own an Apple TV, PlexConnect will make you love our Apple TV even more.

To make a long story short, my H67N-USB3-B3 was running OS X Mountain Lion next to my HDTV as a NAS/File Share/HTPC. It was connected via HDMI to my HDTV and from it I would access files such as media, as well as Server and more importantly Plex Media Server. The great thing about Plex Media Server is that not only can you view your media from the Plex app, you can also view your media in a web browser either on your home network, or somewhere else on the internet. Even though the setup worked well, I didn't like that my CustoMac was on my network via WIFI because the router was nowhere near and it just looked bulky next to my HDTV. I wanted something small and thin next to my HDTV that could almost do all of the same things at a low cost.

I use Plex alot and I recently discovered PlexConnect; an Apple TV client hack that works without the need to jailbreak your Apple TV. I didn't think much for Apple TV and quite frankly didn't see how it would fit at all into my home ecosystem. But this past weekend I purchased an Apple TV and set up PlexConnect on my CustoMac in a few simple steps. I moved my CustoMac out of site and now the Apple TV is there instead, small and barely noticeable. I can access my Plex media from Apple TV, still use my HDTV as a monitor/screen with Airplay if need be, and don't need my H67N-USB3-B3 CustoMac connected to my network via WIFI.

I highly recommend anyone using Plex and owns an Apple TV to combine them with PlexConnect. If you're like me and didn't see a reason why Apple TV would do you any good, this is a good enough reason to do so.

Check out these links for more info-
http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/
https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki
Related-
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...0-amd-nvidia-working-together.html#post505510
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/100492-easy-guide-ml-uefi-hdmi-audio.html

I haven't used PlexConnect but used to have an apple tv with plex on it. Always found the apple tv awkward to use.

I now use a rasbperry pi running RasPlex which is fantastic and a third of the price. In my opinion it is a far better solution.

http://rasplex.com/

Oh and also raspberry pi handles up to 1080p (I know the ATV 3 does this also, but still £100 vs £30)

Glad you like our app, there are a number of improvements in the pipeline that will make it even more slick ;)

I am a little confused as how to someone can recommend Rasplex over PlexConnect when they have not tried both. Personally I have both running as i like to see what is out there and tinker and Dale et al have done a fantastic job so far but for my money and WAF i would go for PlexConnect every time :)

The Rasplex looks pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, both boxes fall short at the same spec, they both only go up to 30fps....which is not really 1080p as advertised, it's more 1080i or 720p (as far as the human eyes can tell).

I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to come out with 1080p @ 60fps. They keep getting closer, but they still only support up to 30 frames.

I know that's "suitable" for most movies now (especially any that you purchase from the iTunes store), but I have plenty of content that goes over 30fps, and would be losing frames on these devices.

1080p @ 30fps looks damn good...1080p @ 60fps looks even better!

I love PlexConnect, been using it a while now. I disable the DNS server and PlexGDM services though since i use it on my ML Server and the Plex server is on same computer.

I also removed all logging to file, wish it had an option to disable but wasn't hard to remove it from the code. Also a native OSX app would be nice.

beelzebozo - thanks for highlighting this solution. Looks great!

I am still confused as to what advantage Plex (Plex itself, ignoring any 3rd-party tools) has over the Apple TV? My understanding of the Apple TV (latest generation) is that it works great with an all Apple/iTunes household, but might not be the best solution for any Windows or Linux machines. In that case, Plex makes plenty of sense.

I currently use Plex on my Hack, using my Xbox as the connection to my TV. But if I bought an Apple TV, why would I not switch to native Apple TV - iTunes setup?

the newest gen Apple TV only plays content from iTunes thats the issue here. Plex extends that by allowing it to play allmost any media you want.

Are we sure of this? This past Christmas my brother bought a Apple TV for my dad. I dropped some of my own (non-itunes purchased) movies into his iTunes on his PC, and it streamed to the Apple TV beautifully!

Again, I think you just have to be weary of the specs of your media, but it you match iTunes bought media, then I think it should work with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back