Nvidia GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Howdy everyone,

Since I didn't receive a reply in this thread, I have accepted that it's probably next to impossible to have a functional OSX 10.6.6 installation on my Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop. Due to this, I have decided to build and purchase a 1156 based PC for "hackintosh" purposes. Hopefully, you guys can let me know if any of the following parts will be incompatible/troublesome. The parts I already own are highlighted in red (I have excluded the keyboard, monitor, mouse, and storage).

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
M/B: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
GPU: ECS GTX 460 768MB
ODD: Sony AD7240SGB
SSD: OCZ Vertex II 60GB
Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K56
PSU: Aywun A1-750E

CPU: Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz
M/B: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
ODD: Sony AD7710H
Case: Antec NSK3480

I am leaning towards the i5 760 based system, as the quad core will provide better overall performance. However, the i3 540 based system is cheaper. Ultimately, the deciding factor will be whichever build is most compatible with OSX 10.6.6 (and above).

I have a few questions:

1) Will the GTX 460 work or should I purchase a 5770/5870?
2) Will the Sony AD7710H (slim) work just as well as the recommended Sony AD-7241S-0B? Does the brand need to be Sony?
3) Will these parts remain compatible with future OSX updates or can Apple potentially disable them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Domokun said:
Howdy everyone,

Since I didn't receive a reply in this thread, I have accepted that it's probably next to impossible to have a functional OSX 10.6.6 installation on my Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop. Due to this, I have decided to build and purchase a 1156 based PC for "hackintosh" purposes. Hopefully, you guys can let me know if any of the following parts will be incompatible/troublesome. The parts I already own are highlighted in red (I have excluded the keyboard, monitor, mouse, and storage).

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
M/B: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

CPU: Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz
M/B: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3

I am leaning towards the i5 760 based system, as the quad core will provide better overall performance. However, the i3 540 based system is cheaper. Ultimately, the deciding factor will be whichever build is most compatible with OSX 10.6.6 (and above).

I have a few questions:

1) Will the GTX 460 work or should I purchase a 5770/5870?
2) Will the Sony AD7710H (slim) work just as well as the recommended Sony AD-7241S-0B? Does the brand need to be Sony?
3) Will these parts remain compatible with future OSX updates or can Apple potentially disable them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hi actual february OCZ Vertex II 60GB is fail speed and problems users...

- GTX 460 works nice my model used... others freeze and KP - not works 100% - 90% works fine

- recomend 5870 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... XFX%205870

- Sony yes, AD-7241S-0B yes

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the reply.

jpa said:
... february OCZ Vertex II 60GB is fail speed and problems users...
I've had the OCZ Vertex II since December 2010. So if there is a problem batch from February, then hopefully I have avoided it.

jpa said:
GTX 460 works nice my model used... others freeze and KP...
The one I have is a reference design. What is the determining factor? The manufacturer?

jpa said:
recomend 5870...
Maybe I should try the GTX 460 before I buy another video card?

jpa said:
Sony yes, AD-7241S-0B...
Just to make sure we're on the same page in regards to this. I need a slim optical drive in order for it to fit correctly into my case. As a result, I need to go for the Sony AD-7710H as opposed to the Sony AD-7241S-0B. I am wondering if it functions the same?

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 will not fit in that case. Get a mATX board like GA-H55M-USB3 or GA-H57M-USB3. H55 has a 1x PCIe and H57 has a 4x PCIe port at the bottom. That is the only difference in the Mac world. USB3, Firewire 400 port, four memory slots.

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 is a Mini-ITX board.

i3 perform very well for its price and if they are overclocked to over 4 GHz, maybe 4,5 GHz or what their limit now are they can get close to i5 700 series if i remember right. Look up reviews. i5 if you dont want to overclock i3.

SMHI said:
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 will not fit in that case. Get a mATX board like GA-H55M-USB3 or GA-H57M-USB3. H55 has a 1x PCIe and H57 has a 4x PCIe port at the bottom. That is the only difference in the Mac world. USB3, Firewire 400 port, four memory slots.

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 is a Mini-ITX board.

i3 perform very well for its price and if they are overclocked to over 4 GHz, maybe 4,5 GHz or what their limit now are they can get close to i5 700 series if i remember right. Look up reviews. i5 if you dont want to overclock i3.
Doh. I forgot the GA-P55A-UD3 was an ATX motherboard. This is bound to happen whilst functioning on very little sleep! I have modified the component list to include a different case for the i5 760 build. Alternatively, I could keep the same case and go for the GA-P55M-UD2 or GA-P55M-UD4. Anyway, thoughts on compatibility for each build?

Domokun said:
Doh. I forgot the GA-P55A-UD3 was an ATX motherboard. This is bound to happen whilst functioning on very little sleep! I have modified the component list to include a different case for the i5 760 build. Alternatively, I could keep the same case and go for the GA-P55M-UD2 or GA-P55M-UD4. Anyway, thoughts on compatibility for each build?
I believe the P55M's aren't in the inventory any longer. I have the P55M-UD2 and am very happy with it's performance. If you can find either of the P55M board, buy it. Then let us know where you bought it in case we want to pick up a spare. :)

jpa said:
...hi actual february OCZ Vertex II 60GB is fail speed and problems users...
Whoa! I just order one from Newegg which had that SSD on sale. Where did see/read about this issue?

Stork said:
Whoa! I just order one from Newegg which had that SSD on sale. Where did see/read about this issue?
It's in regards to OCZ being the first manufacturer to go from the 32nm process to the 25nm process. Their drives appear to be suffering from reduced capacity, durability (i.e. lifetime expectancy), and speed.

Domokun said:
Stork said:
It's in regards to OCZ being the first manufacturer to go from the 32nm process to the 25nm process. Their drives appear to be suffering from reduced capacity, durability (i.e. lifetime expectancy), and speed.
Not necessarily true. Tom's Hardware published a report on the OCZ Vertex 2 switch from 32 vs 25 nm chips today. Here's the link:
The OCZ Vertex 2 Conspiracy: Lost Space, Lost Speed?

To summarize, read the whole article if you can tell what the impact of Tom's reviewer's tests on your system - I can't tell if its good or bad. Firmware updates are being readied by OCZ. And OCZ isn't the only mfgr that will be going to the 25nm chipset. All of them will over the next couple of months.

Although, the capacity dropped on the 60GB drive to 55GB, Neweeg's price dropped from $155 to $105 (free shipping & before the $10 rebate). Dragging out the olde calculator, the cost per GB drops - $2.58 to $1.91 per GB. With the rebate, the true 55GB drive (25nm chipset) drops to $1.73 per GB. :thumbup: Hmmm. I think I deserve another beer tonight for making such a good decision. :clap:

So, I bought the OCS Vertex 2 60GB (now 55GB) drive this weekend, which was part of Newegg's Presidents Day sale, I still got a good deal price wise. I truly don't know what performance hits I'll have to take, if any. But, I still got a good buy.

Well, I took a bit of a risk (after the new MacBook announcement) and purchased parts for a "Sandy Bridge" (1155) build instead. Here are the final specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
HSF: Intel HSF (or CoolerMaster Hyper 212+)
M/B: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H
RAM: GSkill F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
GPU: Intel HD 3000 (or ECS GTX 460 768MB)

Hopefully, it'll all be compatible with OSX 10.6.7 when it's released. :silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back