Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello forum, I haven't posted for a while, now I'm starting a new build and I'm puzzled at what is happening, I don't know where else to go.
Here's what happens:
I just plugged in all the components, and connected to the monitor through GTX 660 ti with a DVI cable. Bios loaded, and I started changing a few things:
XMP -> Profile 1
1615314726601.png

CSM Support -> Disable
1615314835109.png

Thunderbolt:
1615314946357.png

USB Config:
1615314989712.png

VT-d -> Disable:
1615315081223.png

After this, I save and reboot.
At this point, my monitor turns into a sleeping beauty, even though there's nothing beautiful about that.
I rebooted several times, pressing F12, or not, doesn't matter. Keyboard is detected as my NumLuck key led is on. But, why there's no signal on the video DVI?
Things I've tried to wake my monitor:
switching VGA to my old dusty GTX 570.
tried HDMI as well as native thunderbolt->HDMI

What could be the reason, any suggestions where else to look?

BTW, my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster SA950, if that makes any difference. (it works well when I plug it into my old rig)

Hello forum, I haven't posted for a while, now I'm starting a new build and I'm puzzled at what is happening, I don't know where else to go.
Here's what happens:
I just plugged in all the components, and connected to the monitor through GTX 660 ti with a DVI cable. Bios loaded, and I started changing a few things:
XMP -> Profile 1
View attachment 511735
CSM Support -> Disable
View attachment 511736
Thunderbolt:
View attachment 511737
USB Config:
View attachment 511738
VT-d -> Disable:
View attachment 511739

After this, I save and reboot.
At this point, my monitor turns into a sleeping beauty, even though there's nothing beautiful about that.
I rebooted several times, pressing F12, or not, doesn't matter. Keyboard is detected as my NumLuck key led is on. But, why there's no signal on the video DVI?
Things I've tried to wake my monitor:
switching VGA to my old dusty GTX 570.
tried HDMI as well as native thunderbolt->HDMI

What could be the reason, any suggestions where else to look?

BTW, my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster SA950, if that makes any difference. (it works well when I plug it into my old rig)
These BIOS changes should not cause such troubles.

Are you sure both your graphics cards are working? How about your power supply?

James, thank you so much for your suggestion. I think graphic cards work, at least the 660 worked while I did those screenshots above, and the only thing I did afterwards was a basic save&reboot. I'm also happy to learn that the above bios should not effect my system in a way I can't get any video signal out.

As far as PSU, this is a brand new just out of the box Antec HCG 750W 80Gold fully modular unit. I didn't add any interfaces between the reboot, and so I don't assume anything changed when I initiated the restart of my system, meaning no extra system load, so the PSU should also be ok, should at least display the basic bios screen.

Edit: I see that the small fan is spinning on the 660 ti GPU, so I assume at least the power is supplied to it.

Any other recommendations or any additional debugging I should do? please

Last edited:
James, thank you so much for your suggestion. I think graphic cards work, at least the 660 worked while I did those screenshots above, and the only thing I did afterwards was a basic save&reboot. I'm also happy to learn that the above bios should not effect my system in a way I can't get any video signal out.

As far as PSU, this is a brand new just out of the box Antec HCG 750W 80Gold fully modular unit. I didn't add any interfaces between the reboot, and so I don't assume anything changed when I initiated the restart of my system, meaning no extra system load, so the PSU should also be ok, should at least display the basic bios screen.

Edit: I see that the small fan is spinning on the 660 ti GPU, so I assume at least the power is supplied to it.

Any other recommendations or any additional debugging I should do? please
I suppose you have connected the PCIe power connectors from the power supply to the graphics card? And the graphics card is securely connected to the motherboard?

1615399485123.png

This is my very basic configuration, the cable from PSU to GPU hides behind the back panel, and immediately comes out and is plugged to the PSU.
This motherboard has a little display on the back, with letters Ad written on its status board. I don't see this combination in the motherboard's manual, at least not with little 'd' sign in the 2nd position. and if ignore case, the 'AD' combination has a code description as:
Issue Ready To Boot event for OS Boot.

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd try in my case? Also, about the GPU/connectivity/power etc, wouldn't the thunderbolt connector to the monitor be an alternative option for me, at least to display BIOS screen? But connecting cable to thunderbolt has the same outcome.
One last thing I just noticed, if that makes any difference. When I shut off the machine, on my monitor I see no-signal thing appear. As soon as I power on the machine, that no-signal disappear immediately, and the monitor goes into the dark mode, as if the connection is detected, but the computer is in a sleep mode.

Please advise.

Alright, I have some update as I am narrowing down on what causes this strange behavior.
I did CMOS-Reset, and it gave me by bios screen again with a prompt that I need to setup bios.
I followed the recommendation for bios setup for gigabyte from this first post:

This time, I was setting bios options one at a time, saving&rebooting between each one, until I hit CSM Support. As soon as I toggled it to Disable and reboot, my monitor went into the same sleeping mode. Then, isolating this as a potentially faulty option for me, I went ahead and set all other options as from the post above, leaving only this CSM Support as enabled. Saved & Reboot - works fine.

The question is, with CSM Support being enabled, what are my limitations at this point? Why everywhere on Gigabyte bios description, they all recommend to set to disabled? And how shall I proceed? I really hope this is an optional configuration.

Alright, I have some update as I am narrowing down on what causes this strange behavior.
I did CMOS-Reset, and it gave me by bios screen again with a prompt that I need to setup bios.
I followed the recommendation for bios setup for gigabyte from this first post:

This time, I was setting bios options one at a time, saving&rebooting between each one, until I hit CSM Support. As soon as I toggled it to Disable and reboot, my monitor went into the same sleeping mode. Then, isolating this as a potentially faulty option for me, I went ahead and set all other options as from the post above, leaving only this CSM Support as enabled. Saved & Reboot - works fine.

The question is, with CSM Support being enabled, what are my limitations at this point? Why everywhere on Gigabyte bios description, they all recommend to set to disabled? And how shall I proceed? I really hope this is an optional configuration.
So with CSM disabled there is no signal from the graphics card? That would point to an incompatibility between the card and the motherboard but I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

Setting CSM to Disabled is recommended (for UEFI motherboards like yours) but not necessary. Especially in your case since you are using an old graphics card which has problems working with the setting.

My main system (Z390 Designare) has CSM Enabled for a long time and has no problems booting MacOS at all. I now set it to Disabled and there are no problems booting MacOS (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina) either. When previously I had the setting at Enabled, I set the "Storage Boot Option Control" and "Other PCI devices" to UEFI and "Windows 8/10 Features" to Other OS, then MacOS will have no problems booting (via Clover at least as that is what I use). I am using a newer RX 580 Pulse graphics card which supposedly is compatible with CSM Disabled.

But I shall keep your discovery in mind, as this means that old graphics cards may have problems with CSM set to Disabled (meaning that the motherboard supports UEFI booting only). As MacOS Intel only supports UEFI booting they generally recommend setting CSM to Disabled as no Legacy support should be necessary. But obviously it is not the case in your case.

Thank you James once again for sticking with me thus far. Great to know. Once I'm up and running, I'm going to take my Vega 64 out of my primary machine I'm using today, and plug it into my new Rig. Then I'll try this CSM option again see if it works with Vega. I'll post the outcome once I have tried that so that you know what worked for me.

Warmest regards, and thanks again!

James,
As promised, I'm confirming that Vega64 has no issues with CSM Support being disabled. I finally passed the point of boot issues and now I'm working on a few post-installation issues, almost making it a golden build :) I'm very much looking forward to posting the steps to recreate my success story, just a few minor tweaks.
Thank you

James,
As promised, I'm confirming that Vega 64 has no issues with CSM Support being disabled. I finally passed the point of boot issues and now I'm working on a few post-installation issues, almost making it a golden build :) I'm very much looking forward to posting the steps to recreate my success story, just a few minor tweaks.
Thank you
Good to hear that. So as suspected the problem is caused by an incompatibility between the old graphics card and the new motherboard when CSM is disabled.

I will have to keep in mind to set CSM to enabled when I attempted to use old graphics cards like the GTX 660 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back