Acer Aspire V3 372 Mobo, Chipset : SkylakeU Premium PCH
CPU
Intel Core i5 6267u 2.9ghz
Graphics
Intel Iris 550
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is what happened :

I had a working windows 10 + high sierra running on my laptop. There were two bootloaders. The windows bootloader and clover. It was working perfectly until one day I accidentally replaced the EFI folder with the one from an OpenCore install USB of High Sierra. It ruined everything. Now I booted up a live ubuntu USB to recover my data and I cant even find my Windows installation. The windows partition was around 160GB and now the 160GB partition is named Install Mac OS High Sierra its not NTFS ! Did the EFI mess up all this ? I have some important data on my windows installation. Please help me recover it

Try installing a spare drive in place of the existing drive and install Win10 on the drive.
Connect the old HS/Win10 drive via SATA/USB adapter. The spare/temp Win10 drive booted to desktop with file explorer opened should be able to find any files on the old drive that are recoverable. You can copy them to a USB flash or larger storage drive. If you accidently reformatted the Win10 part of the drive then the files are lost for good. This is one of the reasons it is best to have separate drives for Win10 and Mac OS. And yes, I am aware that this is not always possible with a laptop.

Try installing a spare drive in place of the existing drive and install Win10 on the drive.
Connect the old HS/Win10 drive via SATA/USB adapter. The spare/temp Win10 drive booted to desktop with file explorer opened should be able to find any files on the old drive that are recoverable. You can copy them to a USB flash or larger storage drive. If you accidently reformatted the Win10 part of the drive then the files are lost for good. This is one of the reasons it is best to have separate drives for Win10 and Mac OS. And yes, I am aware that this is not always possible with a laptop.
Thanks! But I finally figured out what happened. I ran unibeast on my windows partition instead of the USB. So it got formatted. Luckily, easeus recovery wizard was able to retrieve the files I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back