Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Intel core i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5 LGA 1155
ATi Radeon HD5770
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue RAM
2 x WD HD's (1-Windows 7, 1-OSX 10.6.8)

Hi guys,

I am having serious issues with my build.

I have had it for about a year now and everything has been working swimmingly, not a problem what so ever. Then all of a sudden it has just started throwing endless amounts of problems my way.

It started a few days ago when on boot I got the error message boot 0: Error completely out of the blue. It would then occasionally boot into OSX, when it did it was highly unresponsive and very slow. I ran a disk verification which showed the HD was corrupt, so i rebooted, and repaired the HD disk from Disk Utility, booting from iBoot and then SL DVD - Disk Utility. After loading back into OSX I found the system was still highly unresponsive.

Eventually after this continued I decided to just do a fresh partition and install of SL (which proved to be a nightmare due to the DVD being scratched and therefore unable to copy some .PKGs) from a partitioned disk image of the SL DVD.

The install went fine, all updates were completed and it seemed like the system was running fine. Then bam, once again Im receiving endless errors on boot, including: boot 0: Error, and, EBIOS read error: Device timeout Block 0x44aaa 80 Sectors 0, and, EBIOS read error: Device timeout Block 0x64028 80 Sectors 0, occasionally it will get past this and boot anyway, when it does its VERY slow and hangs for long periods of time on startup.

Once again I loaded Disk Utility from iBoot then the DVD image, verify disk - disk OK. However, when I selected repair permissions I got: Open Error 1: "Operation not permitted" for ALOT of different items, and then also: Open error 5: "Input/Output Error" for many different items too. Eventually ending up at: Error: Permissions verify or repair failed.

I have run Memest86 and this showed up no errors. I don't understand why this has started happening or what can be done about it.

Anybody....any help?

I came to frustrating conclusion that it was indeed the Hard Drive. Have done a fresh install on new HD and all works fine.

zenium2
Yes you are correct that this situation is related to the HD - if possible use the WD disk diagmostic tools/ format utilities and do a complete low level format / diagnostices on that hard drive.
You may want to see if the drive has any smart data stored in it so as to provide you with some data on its status - sectors failing retry etc.

this is their website
http://support.wdc.com/
you will need to enter your Hard drive model so you can get the right tool downloaded.
Check you hard drive warrenty and you should have entered them on line at time of purchase so to enable your hard drive warrenty other wise its based upon production date.

Tote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back