Contribute
Register

Please forgive my ancient question... Lion install on a late 2008 MacBook (A1811)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Q77M-D2H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX760
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Lion retail image on DMG, but my current Mac is a 1st generation M1. Didn't there exist at one time a utility that would either allow you to burn a bootable DVD ( I have semi access to a late 2009 macboook pro, maybe the burner works, and maybe the DVD drive on the 2008 work) but I think I would rather build a USB boot divide either as an external drive or preferably a USB key so I can throw it in the bag incase I need to use it again in the future.

Yes, this kit is older than some of our kids, but that's why I am having trouble finding something. Ideally I would use a USB key that is C on one side and A on the other or I guess I could use a C female to A male adapter (duh)

It would have been easier to use target disk mode, but I haven't done that since PPC days.

Help an old fart out with some ideas?

Hi there,

I believe the easiest to do that is use the utility called Etcher or Balena Etcher on a Mac. That should allow you to burn the Lion installer onto the USB stick but the installer shall need to be turned into an ISO file first I believe.

Aside from that would be to run the 2008 MacBook using Target Disk mode under FireWire holding down T button on boot and then install the DMG onto its internal drive via the 2009 MacBook Pro. But you need to have a FireWire cable for that.

I will try that. We used to use disk utility to clone the image onto a USB drive, but each time I tried that it failed trying to use restore. I figured it was user error on my part, just forgetting something stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back