Contribute
Register

Playback skips and freezes in iMovie and Davinci Resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi,
Until now, I used MacMini 2012 with 2.5 GHz i5 processor, 16GB RAM, SSD and Intel HD4000 graphics. I build my Hackintosh to improve iMovie editing. I am very pleased with the overall operation and stability. I thought the new Hackintosh would be much faster than my old Mac Mini (i7 8th gen, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus 655, M2 NVMe Intel 660 drive). Actually, rendering the movie takes less time on Hackintosh: 4k60p with a length of 50s - 4m11s vs. Mac Mini 2012 - 5m19s. However, during editing I experience playback skips and freezes, both in iMovie 10.1.12 and in Davinci Resolve 16. I am disappointed with this because on the old Mac Mini I do not experience these problems so editing is smoother.

Does anyone have such problems as on my Hackintosh?

Hi,
Until now, I used MacMini 2012 with 2.5 GHz i5 processor, 16GB RAM, SSD and Intel HD4000 graphics. I build my Hackintosh to improve iMovie editing. I am very pleased with the overall operation and stability. I thought the new Hackintosh would be much faster than my old Mac Mini (i7 8th gen, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus 655, M2 NVMe Intel 660 drive). Actually, rendering the movie takes less time on Hackintosh: 4k60p with a length of 50s - 4m11s vs. Mac Mini 2012 - 5m19s. However, during editing I experience playback skips and freezes, both in iMovie 10.1.12 and in Davinci Resolve 16. I am disappointed with this because on the old Mac Mini I do not experience these problems so editing is smoother.

Does anyone have such problems as on my Hackintosh?

Hi there.

Not sure I can answer your question because I don't have a NUC, but I do have a Mac Mini.

I wonder if the problem is the CPU. I bought a laptop for a family member and it had an i7 CPU with the "U" suffix. I was surprised to learn it had the i7 virtualisation extensions removed. I am sure there must be other things missing too because performance was not as good as I was expecting.

Maybe the CPUs in our Mac Minis weren't so 'crippled'?

:)

Hi there.

Not sure I can answer your question because I don't have a NUC, but I do have a Mac Mini.

I wonder if the problem is the CPU. I bought a laptop for a family member and it had an i7 CPU with the "U" suffix. I was surprised to learn it had the i7 virtualisation extensions removed. I am sure there must be other things missing too because performance was not as good as I was expecting.

Maybe the CPUs in our Mac Minis weren't so 'crippled'?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you are wrong :) I hope it is a matter of configuration or drivers but not the processor. P.S. This processor supports VT-x and VT-d (Mac Mini not).
Below, a comparison of these processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=67355,137979

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you are wrong :) I hope it is a matter of configuration or drivers but not the processor. P.S. This processor supports VT-x and VT-d (Mac Mini not).
Below, a comparison of these processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=67355,137979

Good idea to use the Intel comparitor :thumbup:

But I do remember the problems we had with the "U" i7 and it was definitely related to virtualisation. (I should have done more research back then - didn't know I'd be talking to you about this problem :) - my son is away now).

There is always the possibility that the problem is simply something in the NUC build that iMovie is stumbling over - pipelines, PCI bus-lanes etc.

Sorry I can't shed more light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back