CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Has anyone tried to install on the latest Google Pixelbook laptop?

Did you try to use search/google?

Yes I did and no luck, but I thought the hard men of tonymac may have tried it, or may be able to tell if its possible.

Yes I did and no luck, but I thought the hard men of tonymac may have tried it, or may be able to tell if its possible.

This google search spec will tell you what references for pixelbook on tonymacx86.com: 'site:tonymacx86.com pixelbook'

This google search spec will tell you what references for pixelbook on tonymacx86.com: 'site:tonymacx86.com pixelbook'

Thank you, but I did do a thorough google search and there is nothing out there. All I know is that is has a i5-7Y57 in the base model and a more powerful i7 in the high end model. No word on the peripherals. I don't know how that processor affects compatibility.

Note that the single thread on this site is about a different model.

Thank you, but I did do a thorough google search and there is nothing out there. All I know is that is has a i5-7Y57 in the base model and a more powerful i7 in the high end model. No word on the peripherals. I don't know how that processor affects compatibility.

Note that the single thread on this site is about a different model.
There are a few things that needs to take place before Pixelbook can be turned into a hackbook. I've been searching about it for a couple of days now and spec-wise it is incredible, but the lack of USB-A makes it a difficult machine to work on. The Wi-Fi is Intel and its soldered onboard, meaning you'll need a USB Type C to USB-A dongle and a Wi-Fi USB dongle to get wireless connectivity. It is locked down to some sort of legacy firmware and can only (as of now) be used to install Linux, and even that has tons of issues. It needs to be patched (as I understand it) with custom coreboot and UEFI firmware in order to install and use Clover UEFI. These kind of firmwares haven't been released for even Skylake Chromebooks, so it will take time considering Pixelbook is based on the Kabylake architecture.

Last edited:
The Linux installation method may be the way in on the Pixelbook. It uses a virtual machine, via KVM, and although they restrict it so it can't boot macOS (see link below) it still opens up the possibility. Rumors are circulating that they will support Windows soon, probably using this mechanism. My guess, or hope, is they are being conservative and will remove restrictions on what you can install as VMs. The biggest issue with all this is going to be graphics acceleration I imagine.

https://chromium.googlesource.com/c...t-another-OS-like-Windows_macOS_Linux_BSD_etc

Support for macOS on KVM:

https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
Two things. We don't support this type of installation here (VM). Second it is not worth it. Why would you run 3 operating systems, ChromeOS, Linux (Crouton) and then macOS at once. Makes no sense.

Pixelbook is only for Linux users for now. If you want to force yourself to Linux then buy this.

If you have a Pixelbook, consider running Crouton!

Last edited:
Even though I'd prefer to run macOS as the root OS, one of the reasons I run macOS is so I can also run Linux and Windows with ease. Every other cross platform developer is in the same boat and generally needs to run all 3.

Even though I'd prefer to run macOS as the root OS, one of the reasons I run macOS is so I can also run Linux and Windows with ease. Every other cross platform developer is in the same boat and generally needs to run all 3.
I know what you mean, even I do that, but not in a virtual environment. I boot each operating system when I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back