Contribute
Register

Pinout and circuit for the G4 Sawtooth switch cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this a step further, no splicing of wires, no soldering, just used jumper cables, matched them up (based on your pin ID, tsk) to the front panel connector and mobo pins (specific to my mobo) as well as the speaker.

View attachment 211732
Just wanted to say thanks very much for this guide. Power on/off works perfectly and I have a glowing LED. Reset isn't doing anything, but I've probably wired something wrong. Your graphics and explanation were a lifesaver!

This was a big help! I'm really glad someone took the time to do this. I have a curious question, though. I have a Sawtooth front panel and ribbon cable that I spliced according to the pinout in Post #1, and all the switches work, but oddly the Power LED is on all the time, even when the computer is off. It's a small thing, but I'm wondering why that would be?

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-H170M-DSH3, and the one change I made (accidentally) was wiring the PLED + to pin 10 instead of 9, giving me the yellow light.

Anybody have any ideas why the light is on all the time?

Took this a step further, no splicing of wires, no soldering, just used jumper cables, matched them up (based on your pin ID, tsk) to the front panel connector and mobo pins (specific to my mobo) as well as the speaker.

I don't get it. If you can just use jumper cables and you can get those cheap then why would anybody ever solder anything? Isn't using jumper cables so much more convenient? Would that work with QuickSilver or G3 b&w front boards too?

1.S3+ programming switch; Don't use.
2. No connection.
3.S2+ Reset switch.Use for reset switch + if you want
4. No connection.
5. S1 +; Use for Power Switch +
6. No connection.
7. Not useful (part of the apple circuit).
8. COMMON GROUND; Use for Power Switch -
9. Anode 1 (glows LED Green); Use for Power LED +
10. Anode 2 (glows yellow); Don't use.

Has anyone figured out the 820-1178-A? So far, I have...

1. +S3
3. +S2
4. +LED (also appears that 7 (goes to 585 from 1), 8 (goes to 585 from 1), 10 (goes to 800 from 1) have some affect on current)
5. R1, R12(?) - doesn't work when using as power switch.
7. -All
8. -All
10. ? (goes to LED signal or something? Signal goes to 800 from 1)

I have all my ribbon-cable ends set up with the connector pins all receiving signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back