Physical build instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Heard fantastic stuff about tonymac and am VERY interested in trying a project. The buyer's guides are fantastic as are the installation guides for the software/BIOS end.

But - I can't find (and am sure it's just me) guides for the physical construction of the myriad parts that go into the computer before you can begin to install the software.

Is it here? Or if not, recommended sites to get that info? I'm reasonably handy and comfortable inside a computer, but never put one together "from scratch"

Thanks in advance

i don't want to be rude or mean but if you don't know how to build a computer and/or google for that you are in for a WORLD of hurt trying to get this Hack working properly.

Check out this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3oHidoDR5c&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTwlcLU_rv29Gt4578XfgJm_

I wouldn't interpret that as being rude or mean, I'd interpret that as being honest. Everyone has to start somewhere. These are also good guides/videos on how to build a PC.
Newegg TV: How to Build a PC. Its a three part series and the first part explains all the parts.

i don't want to be rude or mean but if you don't know how to build a computer and/or google for that you are in for a WORLD of hurt trying to get this Hack working properly.

Check out this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3oHidoDR5c&list=PL8mG-RkN2uTwlcLU_rv29Gt4578XfgJm_

I don't take it as rude or mean either - although I am reasonably comfortable inside a computer I simply asked if there were build instructions on THIS site or if I had to look elsewhere - that was the basis of my question...

I wouldn't interpret that as being rude or mean, I'd interpret that as being honest. Everyone has to start somewhere. These are also good guides/videos on how to build a PC.
Newegg TV: How to Build a PC. Its a three part series and the first part explains all the parts.

I certainly recognize that there are so many variables involved in choosing individual components - is there a sense that staying with a particular brand for multiple components is considered wise or are they really so interchangeable that it doesn't matter as much as the individual manufacturers would have us noobs believe?

I'm really enjoying researching all of this in attempt to choose well - leaning towards a mini or full tower, both for expandability and easier cable management with the increased space.

Mostly going to be using this for photo editing and rendering, perhaps with some gaming thrown in - no major video editing, etc.

Impressions?

I certainly recognize that there are so many variables involved in choosing individual components - is there a sense that staying with a particular brand for multiple components is considered wise or are they really so interchangeable that it doesn't matter as much as the individual manufacturers would have us noobs believe?

I'm really enjoying researching all of this in attempt to choose well - leaning towards a mini or full tower, both for expandability and easier cable management with the increased space.

Mostly going to be using this for photo editing and rendering, perhaps with some gaming thrown in - no major video editing, etc.

Impressions?
I'd say it wasn't critical to stay with one manufacturer for all. Really there are only 2 combinations which would be motherboard and a graphics card if you choose to use one. I've never had a matching manufacturers set that has caused problems. Newest system is Asus and Evga/Nvidia.
One thing you should consider reading is the QVL(Qualified Vendors List) from your motherboard manufacturer which lists memory(important). There is also a list of supported components if you are unsure about compatibility but these are not as important as the memory list.

I'd say it wasn't critical to stay with one manufacturer for all. Really there are only 2 combinations which would be motherboard and a graphics card if you choose to use one. I've never had a matching manufacturers set that has caused problems. Newest system is Asus and Evga/Nvidia.
One thing you should consider reading is the QVL(Qualified Vendors List) from your motherboard manufacturer which lists memory(important). There is also a list of supported components if you are unsure about compatibility but these are not as important as the memory list.

Thanks for that - it gives me a jumping off point to start with - not sure that I will "need" a separate graphics card, but strongly thinking about putting one in from the start - after all, can't hurt! I'll take a look at the Asus motherboards and go from there - figuring out which to start with seems like as good a place as any. Is it ok to post my "choices" here in various components to get people's feedback or is there a better section for that.

Thanks for that - it gives me a jumping off point to start with - not sure that I will "need" a separate graphics card, but strongly thinking about putting one in from the start - after all, can't hurt! I'll take a look at the Asus motherboards and go from there - figuring out which to start with seems like as good a place as any. Is it ok to post my "choices" here in various components to get people's feedback or is there a better section for that.

If you jot down your build selections then post them here or in Buying Advice where users will see. That way you can get confirmation of the parts. Also check out the Intel Skylake CPUs and 100 Series Motherboards Buyer's Guide The Buyers Guide should be updated to these 100 series boards this month.

Thanks so much for that offer - when I can narrow down my list, I will ASSUREDLY post it here for review/critique.

As an aside, my son has an IT buddy with a 4,1 Mac Pro that is apparently dead. Don't know what that means yet (ie what exactly is dead about it) but if it can be resurrected, might be a way to go! Ignorant question - do Apple "cheese grater" towers use standard cutouts for motherboard replacement or is everything "custom"?

Everything is custom.

However those models can still be setup to be fairly damn powerful, relatively cheaply. If you can snag it for free it may be worth grabbing it and ordering some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back