Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, hardware purchasing phase is concluded. I'm currently preparing the software and installation procedures while I wait for the hardware to arrive on Monday evening. Here are some findings and questions relating to that.

1. [Finding]: I am following the "Install High Sierra..." instruction. After some problem with the creating the usb stick which I successfully resolved with the aid of this excellent checklist I guess the installation stick is OK, but...

2. [Question]: ...I then read something in @pastrychefs Z370 build description that indicates that there is more to creating the usb stick than what is indicated in the "Install High Sierra..." instruction. In the section Create your USB installer and install macOS he adds item #5:
"When finished, replace the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked to the bottom of this post. The reason why I have a customized EFI folder is because I was unable to boot with the EFI folder created by the current version of UniBeast."
Q: Should I do the same given roughly the same mobo and processor? Currently my EFI folder on stick is empty
wIfyCCe.png
  1. [Question]: I thought I'd prepare the BIOS setup and read @pastrychefs Z370 build description regarding the BIOS setting.

Q: Can I follow that BIOS setup instruction for my build or are there other important things I need to consider e.g. in the ASUS AMI UEFI BIOS that needs to be considered for me?

I think the EFI folder I have in post #1 of my thread should, at the very least, allow you boot your USB installer.

Try it out. If it doesn't work, you can always delete it and try with UniBeast created EFI folder. Replacing the EFI folder is just a drag-n-drop process and choose "Replace" rather than merge.

I think the EFI folder I have in post #1 of my thread should, at the very least, allow you boot your USB installer.

Try it out. If it doesn't work, you can always delete it and try with UniBeast created EFI folder. Replacing the EFI folder is just a drag-n-drop process and choose "Replace" rather than merge.

Hmm, it worries me a bit that I don't have the EFI folder. It was not created despite the cheerful success message. The only content is what is in the image above (only containing an empty EFI-backup folder and the OS install before I copied the multibeast. Will your EFI folder do or should I make another attempt at creating the stick?

[EDIT]: Saw in another post that there is supposed to be two partitions. I simply may have looked in just one of them. Will check that!

Last edited:
Yes, you have to look in the EFI partition. That's where the EFI folders go.

Yes, you have to look in the EFI partition. That's where the EFI folders go.
OK, so something must have gone wrong yesterday anyway. I scratched the stick and started all over again, and this time the EFI partition shows up as it should. I have also now replaced the EFI folder content with the one that you did put together.

For the sake of clarification I also conclused that, now when there are two partitions, the Multibeast should be copied to the partition named "Install macOS High Sierra" and not the EFI partition, which @feartech informs of in the last post of this thread.

Now, I checked the behaviour of the usb stick: the EFI partition does not show up on my macbook pro when the stick is re-inserted so any changes must be done during the same session as the formatting of the disc. I assume the EFI will appear when used as boot device in the build later.

The EFI partition is normally hidden and does not mount on its own. If you've already copied the EFI folder to it, you are done.

MultiBeast should be copied to "Install macOS High Sierra".

DO NOT reboot your MacBook Pro with the USB installer plugged in!!!! There have been quite a few reports of damaged MacBook Pros when users tried to boot with USB flash drives that have Clover installed.

Doing some further reading a head in the installation process I note the following:
  • I will use BIOS settings from @pastrychef Z370 build as the boards are more or less identical.
  • Post installation
    • In the iMessage fix the EFI partition needs to be mounted. As I understand it you need an EFI Mounter to do that.
    • It seems that I can not get my head around the concept of post installation (with the use of Multibeast). There are a few configuration files e.g. relating to USB and power mgmt fixes that should be installed. It would be really good to conceptually understand the relationship between the USB stick and the destination drive installation. For example,
      • is the usb stick needed all the time or is there an installer partition on the destination drive which is used?
      • is Multibeast used for all the .aml and .dsl installations?
  • Other: I plan to have one M.2 drive and 1 2Tb HDD storage. Do I need to perform certain tweaks or will it work out-of-the-box?

Doing some further reading a head in the installation process I note the following:
  • I will use BIOS settings from @pastrychef Z370 build as the boards are more or less identical.
Yes.

• Post installation
    • In the iMessage fix the EFI partition needs to be mounted. As I understand it you need an EFI Mounter to do that.
    • It seems that I can not get my head around the concept of post installation (with the use of Multibeast). There are a few configuration files e.g. relating to USB and power mgmt fixes that should be installed. It would be really good to conceptually understand the relationship between the USB stick and the destination drive installation. For example,
      • is the usb stick needed all the time or is there an installer partition on the destination drive which is used?
      • is Multibeast used for all the .aml and .dsl installations?

If you will be following my Strix Z370-G guide, you won't need MultiBeast. Don't mix different installation guides.

Your USB installer is just used for installing macOS. Once it has been installed and you have installed the EFI folder in to the drive where you installed macOS, you won't need the USB flash drive anymore.

• Other: I plan to have one M.2 drive and 1 2Tb HDD storage. Do I need to perform certain tweaks or will it work out-of-the-box?
If your system is configured and working correctly, the drives will work out of the box.

Don't mix different installation guides.

Ah, got it! Then the remaining question: can not find target installation folder for the usb port fix .aml and .dst files. What is the path?

Then after this I feel entirely prepared to assemble the hardware and get the fingers dirty! Again, invaluable support on this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back