be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 3 Silentwings CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 800W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0642

Fractal Design Define C Black Silent Compact ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352066

(2x) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T78963

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G not used in Hackintosh mode
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127943

Already Owned

Samsung SyncMaster SA850 Monitor
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001880

Steel Resolve to Succeed! :)

Comments

My main computer is a four year old MacMini with quad core 2.6GHz processor. It's still going strong but I wanted to have a backup. For the past two years I've been waiting for Apple to release a better version of the MacMini, or an updated and less expensive version of the MacPro. My patience had finally run out in October 2016: I decided to build a Hackintosh!

My primary goal was to build a machine that feels like a more powerful version of the MacMini. This is a rather modest goal by today's standards.

At the same time, however, I've also developed an interest in machine learning and learned that the NVIDIA Pascal cards are the preferred platform for that. And then I learned that there is no OS X driver for those cards... Nevertheless, I wanted to build a computer that can run OS X and have an NVIDIA Pascal card installed in it, even if I can't use the two at the same time.

Finally, I wanted to have a computer that can run silently and reliably. These priorities drove my choice of the components.

Installation Notes

I followed the main guide for a fresh macOS Sierra installation.

I had a bit of difficulty with the recommended BIOS settings but after lots of googling it looked like I successfully reached the end of the guide: I had macOS Sierra running on my PC! I did not have sound and graphics seemed a bit slow, which was a bit disappointing because I specifically chose the proper sound and graphics settings in MultiBeast:

1. ALC1150 (from Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALCxxx)
  2. 100 Series Audio (from Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALCxxx)
  3. Intel HD 530 (from Customize/Graphics Configuration)

But these seemed like a relatively minor issue and I was pleased with my progress.

Then I removed the UniBeast USB stick, and the next time I booted I got this kernel panic.

In retrospect, I think what happened was that when I rebooted the PC after the install, I still had the USB stick inserted and the BIOS set to boot from it. So even though Sierra was running from the SSD, it was booted up by the Clover instance installed on the USB stick and it was using the Clover configuration from the USB stick. After I removed the USB stick, the BIOS didn't have a choice but to boot from the SSD, and the Clover config on the SSD was "messed up" by MultiBeast.

Once I realized this, I looked at the diff between the two Clover configs and zeroed in on the ig-platform-id setting -- when I removed that, macOS booted up successfully. It still didn't have accelerated graphics or sound, though.

Eventually I stumbled across a post that said I needed to have pre-allocated graphics memory set to 64MB in BIOS. After I did this, I was able to put back the ig-platform-id key with value 0x19120000 and still boot up macOS. I now had hw acceleration and 2560x1440 @ 60Hz via the motherboard's DisplayPort!

I had to apply this patch to fix the well known flickering in the upper left corner, and I was all set.

As a bonus, I now also have sound. I think the story here is that MultiBeast added the proper sound card drivers but it also added the IntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer patches, which broke sound. When I first removed the ig-platform-id key, I looked through the config file to see if there was anything related to it and these frame buffer patches seemed related, so I removed them.

I was also able to add and keep the GTX 1080 card in the chassis and still run macOS (without making use of the card while running macOS, of course).

What Works
  • Hardware accelerated graphics 2560x1440 @ 60Hz via the motherboard's DisplayPort.
  • Audio via the green back panel port.
  • All the USB ports, including the ones on the front of the case, although not sure at what speed.
  • WiFi.
  • Dual-boot to Linux via Clover installed on the same SSD as macOS (Linux is installed on a separate SSD).

What Does Not Work
  • Sleep/Wake: If I put the computer to sleep and wake it up, I don't get video signal any more, I can't ping the computer, and typing on the keyboard doesn't seem to have any effect -- for all intents and purposes the computer does not wake up at all. This is a wide spread issue discussed in this thread.

Change Log
  • 12/12/2016: Added clarification about sleep/wake issue.
  • 12/12/2016: Added the final config.plist file.
  • 12/13/2016: Tidied up links and formatting.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
What was your MultiBeast configuration?

With respect to wake-up from sleep, if your config.plist boot arguments doesn't have "darkwake=0", try it by inputting it at the Clover Boot screen (click on the Gears icon) in the Boot Arguments to see if that will allow wake-up after sleep. If that fixes the wake-up, then you'll need to make it permanent in your EFI/EFi/Clover/config.plist file. You can use Clover Configurator rather than adding darkwake=0 by hand.

What was your MultiBeast configuration?

At first I only checked ALC1150 and HD530 and rebooted. This time I still had the UniBeast USB plugged in so I am guessing that whatever MultiBeast did had no effect yet. In any case, I had no audio, so I started MultiBeast again and this time checked the "100 Series Audio Drivers" only. If I understand correctly how MultiBeast works, the answer to your question is

I hope this answers your question! I attached my *current* config.plist file to my OP. It is different from the config file created by MultiBeast in that:

1. I removed the patches for AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer
  2. I added the Skylake glitch fix (AddProperties key under Devices).
I will now attempt the darkwake fix for sleep/wake and report back.

"darkwake=0" did not fix the wake-up.

Furthermore, I discovered that the wake-up problem is not limited to the display signal. I can't ping the computer after it supposedly woke up and I don't have any reason to believe that keyboard input is processed.

pgriss' First Hackintosh: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S - i7-6700K - HD530

The case: Fractal Design Define C
full

Components

ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ARORJF2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Intel i7-6700K Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 3 Silentwings CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 800W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0642

Fractal Design Define C Black Silent Compact ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352066

(2x) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T78963

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G not used in Hackintosh mode
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127943

Already Owned

Samsung SyncMaster SA850 Monitor
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001880

Steel Resolve to Succeed! :)

Comments

My main computer is a four year old MacMini with quad core 2.6GHz processor. It's still going strong but I wanted to have a backup. For the past two years I've been waiting for Apple to release a better version of the MacMini, or an updated and less expensive version of the MacPro. My patience had finally run out in October 2016: I decided to build a Hackintosh!

My primary goal was to build a machine that feels like a more powerful version of the MacMini. This is a rather modest goal by today's standards.

At the same time, however, I've also developed an interest in machine learning and learned that the NVIDIA Pascal cards are the preferred platform for that. And then I learned that there is no OS X driver for those cards... Nevertheless, I wanted to build a computer that can run OS X and have an NVIDIA Pascal card installed in it, even if I can't use the two at the same time.

Finally, I wanted to have a computer that can run silently and reliably. These priorities drove my choice of the components.

Installation Notes

I followed the main guide for a fresh macOS Sierra installation.

I had a bit of difficulty with the recommended BIOS settings but after lots of googling it looked like I successfully reached the end of the guide: I had macOS Sierra running on my PC! I did not have sound and graphics seemed a bit slow, which was a bit disappointing because I specifically chose the proper sound and graphics settings in MultiBeast:

But these seemed like a relatively minor issue and I was pleased with my progress.

Then I removed the UniBeast USB stick, and the next time I booted I got this kernel panic.

In retrospect, I think what happened was that when I rebooted the PC after the install, I still had the USB stick inserted and the BIOS set to boot from it. So even though Sierra was running from the SSD, it was booted up by the Clover instance installed on the USB stick and it was using the Clover configuration from the USB stick. After I removed the USB stick, the BIOS didn't have a choice but to boot from the SSD, and the Clover config on the SSD was "messed up" by MultiBeast.

Once I realized this, I looked at the diff between the two Clover configs and zeroed in on the ig-platform-id setting -- when I removed that, macOS booted up successfully. It still didn't have accelerated graphics or sound, though.

Eventually I stumbled across a post that said I needed to have pre-allocated graphics memory set to 64MB in BIOS. After I did this, I was able to put back the ig-platform-id key with value 0x19120000 and still boot up macOS. I now had hw acceleration and 2560x1440 @ 60Hz via the motherboard's DisplayPort!

I had to apply this patch to fix the well known flickering in the upper left corner, and I was all set.

As a bonus, I now also have sound. I think the story here is that MultiBeast added the proper sound card drivers but it also added the IntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer patches, which broke sound. When I first removed the ig-platform-id key, I looked through the config file to see if there was anything related to it and these frame buffer patches seemed related, so I removed them.

I was also able to add and keep the GTX 1080 card in the chassis and still run macOS (without making use of the card while running macOS, of course).

What Works
  • Hardware accelerated graphics 2560x1440 @ 60Hz via the motherboard's DisplayPort.
  • Audio via the green back panel port.
  • All the USB ports, including the ones on the front of the case, although not sure at what speed.
  • WiFi.
  • Dual-boot to Linux via Clover installed on the same SSD as macOS (Linux is installed on a separate SSD).

What Does Not Work
  • Sleep/Wake: If I put the computer to sleep and wake it up, I don't get video signal any more, I can't ping the computer, and typing on the keyboard doesn't seem to have any effect -- for all intents and purposes the computer does not wake up at all. This is a wide spread issue discussed in this thread.

Change Log
  • 12/12/2016: Added clarification about sleep/wake issue.
  • 12/12/2016: Added the final config.plist file.
  • 12/13/2016: Tidied up links and formatting.
did you get it working?

Sleep/Wake still doesn't work.

Hi,
I'm pretty much at the same position.
Initially I had issues accessing my M.2 SSD drive. Some of my attempts ended up with a Kernel panic.
I then when on the disk and removed the IONVMFamily.kexts and this has fixed that issue.

What remains is the audio issue. I read above that you re-ran MultiBeast with the 100 Series Audio enabled only (had also ACL1151). I'm a bit hesitant as I fear that this might kill my SSD access again.

Any advice?

not sure about sleep and wake up - have not tested this much.

Hey prgriss, I'm running into those same kernel problems. This might be a long shot, but I've got an Intel I7-6700K and Z170S mobo and was curious how you removed the ig-platform-id setting in the Clover config? This is my first build so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for sharing your build!

Apologies for not responding to these queries earlier, I haven't visited this forum in a long while...

Could you please explain which changes should I make exactly in the BIOS and whether you used any boot flags?

The only BIOS setting changes I remember are setting the OS Type to "Other OS" and the pre-allocated graphics memory to 64MB. I don't think I used any boot flags.

curious how you removed the ig-platform-id setting in the Clover config?

The ig-platform-id is a key in Clover's config.plist file, so in order to remove it you simply edit that file and delete that key with its associated value. Note however that I ended up reversing this change after I figured out that I had to set the pre-allocated graphics memory in BIOS.

What remains is the audio issue. I read above that you re-ran MultiBeast with the 100 Series Audio enabled only (had also ACL1151). I'm a bit hesitant as I fear that this might kill my SSD access again.

I don't remember why I enabled both the 100 Series Audio and ACL1151. This combination works for me so I think it would be worth a try. You can always reverse it if it does mess up your M2 SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back