Contribute
Register

Pete's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) i5-8600K Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. What video output have you tried with the iGPU ?
I am building a similar config and I wonder what video connector should I use for a 4K display ?
Thanks

Hi. What video output have you tried with the iGPU ?
I am building a similar config and I wonder what video connector should I use for a 4K display ?
Thanks

I'm pretty sure I used DisplayPort. Apple only has 4K@60Hz support over DisplayPort.

Ok I ll try that and get back.
Thanks

I remembered I've not updated this thread since I built this machine.

Following the original build, I didn't do much with the machine. However, on going to use it, I discovered it had auto-update to either Mojave or Catalina and was effectively dead in a set of boot loops. I've not updated Clover or anything since the build. So I suspect it was just not compatible somehow.

As I'm doing a little bit more on the machine now, and I have a dual monitor setup which I couldn't use with it with the iGPU setup, I went and bought myself a new 1TB Samsung 970EVO NVMe and a MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC graphics card.

I then started the process to get the machine up to Catalina 10.15.3. This took a bit of effort as for some reason, even using @pastrychef's latest Clover setup, the Catalina installer would not complete. After a bit of faffing about, I tried his OpenCore boot loader, and, low and behold, the install completed. I had a Catalina setup working with dual monitor, etc. To get both monitors working on DP connection, I did have to factory reset both monitors. No idea why but after that everything has worked perfectly as a dual monitor setup.

The next day I start to install software. Davinci was fine. But, as soon as I went to install PS, everything stopped as it would not install in a case sensitive file system. Somehow, and I don't remember selecting it, I had reformatted the NVMe as a case sensitive volume. So back to the drawing board.

After many tries, I discovered that the OpenCore boot loader will not boot/install my High Sierra install USB, so I had to go back to Clover for that. Then switch to Opencore, and then install Catalina. No idea why however doing this got me back up and running with a fully working install again.

There are two things I've noticed that still need to be looked into.

Sleep - The system goes to sleep and wakes up from a keyboard/mouse input. However, when the system is asleep, it seems like the system is in some way powering back up and down in the background as the fans spin back up, then go off, then back up after a minute or so. Need to see what that is but I tend to power down when not in use so not a big deal.

Unlock with Apple Watch - I have enabled this, it enables perfectly fine, but doesn't unlock on wake. Could be related to the sleep issue above as I get requests for access approval to a drive on the watch so I think it's working but not unlocking.

Other than that it looks good so far. And works with my twin 2K monitor setup.

My PC wouldn't sleep...
I typed "pmset -g assertions" in the Terminal, and it showed "NetworkClientActive named: "org.cups.cupsd"
Someone mentioned that it could be a printer issue. So I reset printer settings ,and now we're asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back