Contribute
Register

Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got most everything on my system working great since updating to Yosemite, but now I think I have a permissions issue that doesn't make sense to me.

So, I did my Yosemite install with the OS on a separate partition from my data. I copied my backed up Home folder to the data partition, set that as the system home folder, restarted, then I created a symlink to the home folder in the /User directory just to avoid system or app issues. All of that is working great, but anytime I want to move files in my Home directory it prompts for my password. I've made sure that I'm the owner of the folder via chown in terminal and I tried to change permissions with chmod, but it still prompts for a password when I try to move, copy, delete... I can open and run things fine... what's up?

Here's what terminal says:(I tried to give global permissions to the Desktop to take a screenshot... it said I didn't have permissions to save there...)
Code:
Calyns-Mac-Pro:~ Calyn$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-x---@  3 Calyn  staff   102 Nov  5 16:29 Applications
drwxrwxrwx@ 32 Calyn  staff  1088 Nov  8 18:30 Desktop
drwxr-x---@ 37 Calyn  staff  1258 Jun  5 18:05 Documents
drwxr-x---@ 82 Calyn  staff  2788 Nov  8 18:27 Downloads
drwxr-x---@ 21 Calyn  staff   714 Nov  4 14:48 Dropbox
drwxr-x---@  9 Calyn  staff   306 Nov  4 05:17 Google Drive
drwxr-x---@ 30 Calyn  admin  1020 Nov  8 22:24 Library
drwxr-x---@  9 Calyn  staff   306 Sep 12  2013 Movies
drwxr-x---@ 10 Calyn  staff   340 Nov 12  2013 Music
drwxr-x---@ 32 Calyn  staff  1088 Dec 31  2013 PC Data Backup
drwxr-x---@ 56 Calyn  staff  1904 Nov  4 14:43 Pictures
drwxrwxrwx@  5 Calyn  staff   170 Jan 27  2013 Public
Calyns-Mac-Pro:~ Calyn$

not sure but right click on home folder icon--get info--tick shared folder.

Nope, didn't work. But I just realized that using Clover will alleviate some other issues, so it looks like I'm going to be reinstalling again anyway. Then if this issue persists I'll have to find a way to fix it then.

I also just noticed that I can manipulate the Home folder itself, meaning I can save/delete/move files only if they are in Home itself, not in any subdirectories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back