Contribute
Register

Peculiar problem about HP 8470p with ASUS USB-AC51 @ Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is my first post here.

For a starter, I wanna say thank you to you guys.
Thanks to tonymacx86.com, I finally installed Sierra on my laptop.
I installed Sierra in conformity with ovflowd's Guide.

Everything is fine now( although the caps lock always needs double click to change mode ).
Since the stock Wi-Fi is not supported by Apple, I have to find another way to get access to WIFI.
So, I bought an ASUS USB-AC51 usb wifi stick, which uses the MT7610U chip.

At fist, I installed the ASUS's driver downloaded from ASUS website.
However, after installing that driver, I cannot boot into the system. In Verbose boot, it was saying that "OsxAptioFixDrv:AllocateReocBlock():cannot allocate relocation block...". ----> Let's call this "Problem A".

So, I googled it and found another solution.
This time, I first installed the kext providing by that solution to the /system/library/extensions;
after restarting, the AC-51 works and automatically connect to a open WIFI AP at my home.

Main problem :
1. NO WIFI icon showing at the menu bar; in the Network of SystemPreference, I couldn't find a interface to choose WIFI APs.
2. I cannot install the unity providing by that solution, otherwise "Problem A" would happen again.
3. In the system report, I found that the type of WIFI is Ethernet.( screenshot attached)

What I want:
To make it having an interface to choose WIFI AP.

I think it's because of the lack of WIFI pane. However, I cannot find similar problems from google.

Thanks for all!
Happy thanksgiving!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 3.17.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 3.17.55 PM.png
    236 KB · Views: 194
Hi, this is my first post here.

For a starter, I wanna say thank you to you guys.
Thanks to tonymacx86.com, I finally installed Sierra on my laptop.
I installed Sierra in conformity with ovflowd's Guide.

Everything is fine now( although the caps lock always needs double click to change mode ).
Since the stock Wi-Fi is not supported by Apple, I have to find another way to get access to WIFI.
So, I bought an ASUS USB-AC51 usb wifi stick, which uses the MT7610U chip.

At fist, I installed the ASUS's driver downloaded from ASUS website.
However, after installing that driver, I cannot boot into the system. In Verbose boot, it was saying that "OsxAptioFixDrv:AllocateReocBlock():cannot allocate relocation block...". ----> Let's call this "Problem A".

So, I googled it and found another solution.
This time, I first installed the kext providing by that solution to the /system/library/extensions;
after restarting, the AC-51 works and automatically connect to a open WIFI AP at my home.

Main problem :
1. NO WIFI icon showing at the menu bar; in the Network of SystemPreference, I couldn't find a interface to choose WIFI APs.
2. I cannot install the unity providing by that solution, otherwise "Problem A" would happen again.
3. In the system report, I found that the type of WIFI is Ethernet.( screenshot attached)

What I want:
To make it having an interface to choose WIFI AP.

I think it's because of the lack of WIFI pane. However, I cannot find similar problems from google.

Thanks for all!
Happy thanksgiving!

The 8470p has no WiFi whitelist in BIOS.
Install compatible PCIe WiFi, avoid USB WiFi.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

The 8470p has no WiFi whitelist in BIOS.
Install compatible PCIe WiFi, avoid USB WiFi.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Thanks for reply!
Your guide also helps me a lot! I understand using PCIe wifi is a better option and I already ordered one from amazon.

But before it arrived, I would like to try if this problem can be fixed.
I think I'm almost there, since I already used this usb wifi stick to make this post.

I've tried to use terminal to connect another wifi ap, (command "
networksetup -setairportnetwork en0 WIFI_SSID_I_WANT_TO_JOIN WIFI_PASSWORD")
However, it said "All Wi-Fi network services are disabled."

I also tried to use terminal to list the WIFI AP, (command"
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport scan")
It said "Unable to retrieve AirPort interface list".

Do you have experience of using a usb wifi stick on MacOS?

Thank you!

Thanks for reply!
Your guide also helps me a lot! I understand using PCIe wifi is a better option and I already ordered one from amazon.

But before it arrived, I would like to try if this problem can be fixed.
I think I'm almost there, since I already used this usb wifi stick to make this post.

I've tried to use terminal to connect another wifi ap, (command "
networksetup -setairportnetwork en0 WIFI_SSID_I_WANT_TO_JOIN WIFI_PASSWORD")
However, it said "All Wi-Fi network services are disabled."

I also tried to use terminal to list the WIFI AP, (command"
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport scan")
It said "Unable to retrieve AirPort interface list".

Do you have experience of using a usb wifi stick on MacOS?

Thank you!

USB WiFi is not Airport compatible. All USB WiFi hardware is seen/handled as Ethernet.

USB WiFi is not Airport compatible. All USB WiFi hardware is seen/handled as Ethernet.
All right, I have to give up the USB wifi now. I don't see any chance I can fix it by myself.

However, I found a way to solve the Caps problem -- using the Keyboard Maestro.
Use it to set rules to auto capitalize first latter.
For example, when I type " hello;; ", it will covert to "Hello".

Also I can set rules to convert it to title case.
For example, when I type " this is a title;' ", it will convert to "This Is a Title"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back