Contribute
Register

PCIe lanes on a Gigabyte Z370N (with 2xM.2 SSD & M.2 WiFi)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm considering building a Hackingtosh with a Gigabyte Z370N + Intel 8700K, but I'm puzzling with the following: I would want to use both the M.2 slots for an SSD: one to run MacOS and to run Windows. I understand that the Intel WIFI module won't work in MacOS but, if I'm not mistaking, this is a M.2 module that I should be able to swap out for a Broadcom module. Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, I was wondering if this M.2 WIFI slot occupies a PCIe lane and how that works. It seems I have a PCIe x16 lane for a graphics card and 2x PCIe x4 lanes for the M.2 SSD slots. That adds up to 24 and those are all the lanes available on the 8700K. Can anyone explain if this means that the WIFI slot is actually not an M.2 slot that occupies a PCIe x1 lane? Or does this work differently? Any concerns?

Thanks!

Pascal

Hi all,

I'm considering building a Hackingtosh with a Gigabyte Z370N + Intel 8700K, but I'm puzzling with the following: I would want to use both the M.2 slots for an SSD: one to run MacOS and to run Windows. I understand that the Intel WIFI module won't work in MacOS but, if I'm not mistaking, this is a M.2 module that I should be able to swap out for a Broadcom module. Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, I was wondering if this M.2 WIFI slot occupies a PCIe lane and how that works. It seems I have a PCIe x16 lane for a graphics card and 2x PCIe x4 lanes for the M.2 SSD slots. That adds up to 24 and those are all the lanes available on the 8700K. Can anyone explain if this means that the WIFI slot is actually not an M.2 slot that occupies a PCIe x1 lane? Or does this work differently? Any concerns?

Thanks!

Pascal

The 8700K only has 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes for use with graphics cards (and other hardware if necessary, reducing the bandwidth available to the graphics card in such a case). The two M.2 SSDs each use 4 lanes supplied from the Z370 chipset. All other hardware on the motherboard also shares PCIe lanes from the chipset. Without knowing more about the motherboard's design we don't know how the lanes are shared. But I don't think you have a cause for concern since the Z370 has 24 available PCIe lanes.

https://ark.intel.com/products/125903/Intel-Z370-Chipset
https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

Ah, yes. Now I understand: the CPU has 16 lanes and then the Z370 chipset has *another* 24 lanes, adding up to 40 in total. So this should indeed not be a problem.

I'm still anxious to see if I can easily swap out that WIFI module.

Are you trying to use both M.2 modules for SSD's, or are you going to use one for WiFi/Bluetooth when you swap out the included M.2 WiFi card?
I just plan to use the M.2 slots for SSD's. But it seems that the Intel Wifi module bundled with the Gigabyte Z370N WIFI mini-ITX board is just a module with a small metal casing around it, which can presumably be replaced. Some manuals of similar boards, like the ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac, even state: "1 x Vertical M.2 Socket (Key E) with the bundled WiFi-802.11ac module (on the rear I/O)", which does suggest it being easily replaceable.

I can confirm that the M.2 WiFi card is swap-able. I ordered the Broadcom chip, and it should arrive soon for the swap.

Hi Mac madness. which m.2 wifi card are you buying?

Also I have te ga z370n and can say that the wifi card is removable!

See the components list in pastrychef's build description.

I alright bought it. It is a BCM9435SZ. It works except for bluetooth. The bluetooth appears to be active in the operating system, but the range is absolutely terrible. It only recognizes devices when they are immediately next to the machine, and even then the signal is messed up.

Hi,
On this topic. The position of the Wifi will be bad for my build. Can the other M.2 slots (intended for SSD I think) be used for the wifi card when I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back