Contribute
Register

PCIe FLASH RAM - IOfx cards - Why have there been no FLASH RAM PCIe cards like IOfx being used inste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
n/a
Graphics
n/a
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have NOT built a HACKINTOSH YET but am researching this site for a build, because I want to use NVIDIA graphics cards instead of the current APPLE offerings that i think are very limited for NVIDIA CUDA users as well as AUTODESK SMOKE users.

I am curious to ask why no one on this site or other Hackintosh sites are not trying to implement the IOfx PCIe CARDS ....I mean I saw the being on discount the OLDER CARDS making way for the NEW ONES that COST $5000....but the other ones are a bargain....

and I heard a guy from PROMAX tell me that he was actually taking two cards an STRIPING them as a RAID....I don't know but I need to find more about this as FLASH RAM is supposed to be like SSD so STRIPING as a RAID I am unfamiliar with since RAID technology to me was always with the LARGER HARDDRIVES that are MOVING or SPINNING that you are keeping the MEDIA FILES on....

but, I also want to test IOfx PCIe cards with these HACKINTOSH BUILDS...or ask

HAS ANYONE tried or even thought about these as a SOLUTION to MATCH the SPEED of the BLACK POD MINI?

as I SEE nobody has done it yet....and only use SSD, which I think is a shame....because IOfx is the same as the new BLACK POWER MAC POD MINI is running FLASH RAM
but in Apples case they are not telling you who the supplier is, but Wosniak was on the board of IOfx and raving about the technology so you know it is where Apple is getting it from as are all the other vendors using he FLASH RAM PCIe cards.

So these new POWER MACS are offering FLASH RAM PCIe but minus the PCIe slots......to upgrade on the APPLE STORE it is very expensive.

But to buy the IOfx cards that they are selling now as a deal to move out the old to make room for the new larger IOfx cards.

I think I would like to try this out....

I see Ads claiming you can easily run STEREOSCOPIC 4K (which I am not insterested in 3D, but think rather 2 TRACKS of 4K HD VIDEO on a TIMELINE is great! REALTIME!!!!! no RENDERING

THIS is like having the AFTER EFECTS or NUKE or rather SMOKE or even BETTER AUTODESK FLAME where everything is ONLINE and HUMMING and cooking with GAS!!!!

used to have to pay $100,000 plus for a system to run that type of speed and performance....

but Stu Maschewietz wrote in "DV REBELS GUIDE to FILMMAKING" about his DREAM of an AFTER EFFECTS that was ONLINE and I think that has come to pass with the use of the CUDA NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARDS....

But even more so with this WOSNIAK promoted TECHNOLOGY of PCIe FLASH RAM

PLEASE ANYONE ?

ARE WE as PROFESSIONALS building these MACHINES to take advantage of this technology?

or are we limiting ourselves with the current SSD builds?

Does anyone think these would work great? or know how to go about using PCIe FLASH RAM instead of the SSD?

thanks for any responses.

makinworks

as I SEE nobody has done it yet....and only use SSD, which I think is a shame....because IOfx is the same as the new BLACK POWER MAC POD MINI is running FLASH RAM

The ioFX has nothing to do with Ram (memory) it is just SSD storage that uses the
motherboard's PCIe slot instead of the regular Sata connection. Not sure what a Black
Power Mac Pod Mini is. Are you referring to the Late 2013 Mac Pro ? If so everyone
knows that they use a Samsung SSD connected to a modified, proprietary M.2 slot.

Some members of this community use PCIe SSDs which are nearly as fast as what you are asking about. They are likely also much less expensive. If you will be building a Z97 or X99 system you
can use an M.2 slot and a Samsung or Adata SSD that will cost less and have 512 GB to 1TB
of storage as well as read speeds of about 1.2 - 1.8 GB/s. If you'll need to use a workstation
class graphics card (or two) and 64 GB of ram, you need to have an older X79 or a yet to be released X99 motherboard for that.

http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/adata-sr1020np-m-2-ssd/

thanks for the response, sorry I didnt' thank you earlier. I was thinking I had, but got busy on another project.I wanted to ask you this question. the link you gave me shows 512MB FLASH NAND for AUD $674now I saw or will check again but I think the 512MB IO FLASH was on sale for the same price as a clearance for they are releasing a 1.2GB one an I think that will be their new flagship...I think this is the same technology, because they both look like RAM or CIRCUIT CARDS...and not SSD Drives in ALUMINUM Square BOXES..that was why I thought SSD was something differentbut what you showed me by SAMSUNG is NAND FLASH which is the same thing as the IO I think because they are both using the PCIe slot.Oh is the AUD$ 674 actually cheaper in US$? that would make this a bargain compaired to the IO which I think is USA company.Thanks for the information and if you correct me I will be thankful on the thought that the technologies are the exact same?both are SSD NAND FLASH? I just used the RAM term incorrectly? I will checkand reply a link updates today...thanksoh AND THE BLACK POD I WAS DESCRIBING THE NEW MAC PRO.....IT LOOKS LIKE AN ALIEN POD BLACK

OK....YES AND THE SIZES ARE MUCH LARGER THAN THE SAMSUNG BUT I THINK THIS IS THE TOP SHELF BECAUSE IT IS SO EXPENSIVE. SO YES THE SAMSUNG IS MUCH CHEAPER....AND IS THIS THE SAME TECHNOLOGY? JUST A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURE? BECAUSE YOUR LINK shows that SAMSUNG or buying from the KOREAN market instead of what might be Korean underneath the bells and whistles design?what do you think?but to get 1.65 terabytes? for $5 K?Why not just buy 2 of the little SAMSUNG 512GB and STRIPE them into a RAID? makes better since. but is it just as fast? Fusion-io ioMemory HardwareFusion-io ioFX SeriesFusion-io ioFX, 420 GB MLC*PCI-Express 2.0 x4 (x8 physical), Half-height, half-length Form Factor*Includes 1 Year Access Support*Special Price Discount, Available while stock lasts! #F05-001-420G-CS-0001Our Price: $1,995.00Special $1,550.00 Fusion-io ioFX, 1.65 TB MLC*PCI-Express 2.0 x4 (x4 physical), Half-height, half-length Form Factor*Includes 1 Year Access Support #F05-002-1T65-CS-0001Our Price: $5,495.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back