Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
A while back I got tired of waiting for the Mojave web drivers and sold my nVidia device in favor of a Vega 64. Initially when the Vega was installed, macOS would refuse to boot. I don't recall exactly what it did, but I believe it either booted to a black screen or would restart near the end of the boot process. PastryChef was nice enough to help me fix it -- essentially I used his EFI contents as we both have similar setups. Despite taking a close look at my old config/extensions vs his new config/extensions, I was never able to determine what exactly was different between the two.

I was glad to be booting with the Vega, however it still never really worked properly. About 40-50% of the time boot will fail with the system either rebooting itself right after making the selection in Clover, or more often it will boot all the way to right before the login screen, and then reboot itself. I've lived with it for a while -- if the machine reboots, I just let it try again until it completes successfully. Not a big deal.

Recently, however, I setup a new NAS for which I am using 10Gbps SFP for wired machine connections. The real issue occurs when I plug an SFP NIC into the empty PCIe slot under the Vega. I have tried three different NICs:

1. Mellanox ConnectX-2, PCIe 8x
2. 10Gtek X520-DA1, PECe 8x
3. TRENDnet TEG-10GECSFP, PCIe 4x

When using the 4x NIC, things behave as usual -- you get about a 50% chance of macOS booting successfully. This NIC does not have macOS drivers, however. When using either of the 8x NICs boot never finishes successfully. I've found that if I disconnect one of the two DisplayPort cables from the Vega, the odds of success go back to about 50-60%. However if the second cable is re-connected after boot, both screens go black (but the machine says alive -- it can be SSH'd to).

I would just use the 4x NIC, but the macOS drivers don't seem to work, and I use Linux for work and the Linux drivers require a kernel version that's too old. So it's pretty useless. I understand that the 10Gtek Intel-based card can be hacked to use Small Tree drivers.

Thoughts? I've tried switching the devices into different PCIe slots, tested system memory, and I believe my 850W PSU is healthy... Attached is my EFI folder and the kernel crash log that is displayed upon successful boot after a failure.

Attachments

• efi.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 31
  • Boot crash.txt
    11 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
HOLY BALLS. Right when I was about to kill myself I found a/the fix.

On my Asus mobo, I went to Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and changed all entries to "UEFI Driver First" or "UEFI Only". I also notice that the NICs are not hijacking system boot with a brief network/iSCSI boot menu right after POST anymore. Hopefully this helps somebody else who may be a danger to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back