Contribute
Register

PCIe and i9 compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm thinking of building a new rig for fairly heavy usage that will likely need to deal with a decent amount of I/O and I'd like to have a decent capacity for multithreading (but no massive graphics card needed nor any gaming capacity) so am considering the following setup (which would probably still be ahead a bit of the new iMac Pro to be released later this year):

Intel® CoreTM i9 Ten Core Processor i9-7900X
ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz
2TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2, PCIe
10TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5"
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti

Does anyone have any experience with these components for a hackintosh (mainly compatibility of the MB, PCU and PCIe HD), I realise the i9 and X299 have not been out too long, but any shared experience would be helpful.

Cheers,

Richard

You're a little bit early to the party. We don't even know for sure if the iMac Pro will use an i9 CPU or X299 chipset. If you need a working system there's no reason to not go with X99. The prices should start falling too, as more X299 hits the market. If you can get by for a year using Windows 10 then X299 may possibly be a good choice. There is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to predicting future support. There are so many variables that you just can't expect that what you build now, on the bleeding edge, will ever work with macOS High Sierra.

Last edited:
maybe I am wrong but wouldn't something Xeon related possibly be most powerful at the moment as we don't know what lies ahead in regards to chipsets etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back