Contribute
Register

PCI-e to SATA Controller Card for Mac 10.9.2 (ASM1061 vs Marvell 88 SE 9215)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP4 TH
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My mobo of Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH has 6 SATA ports, which I thought would be enough. However, the mSATA drive slot on the mobo is on the same bus as the 6th SATA port, so I can only use one or the other (plugging in an mSATA disables the 6th SATA port).

To get around this issue, I figured I would just buy an PCIe-to-SATA controller (non-RAID).

I first searched through TonyMacX86.com and read through every thread related to a SATA controller card. While most threads were about RAID controllers, I noticed that talk around a non-RAID controller centered on the ASM1061 chipset. In fact, TonyMacX86 himself recommended the ASMedia ASM1061 host controller back when OS X 10.6 and 10.7 were in use: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/increasing-disk-performance-sata-6gbs.html

So I went ahead and bought the Syba/IO Crest SY-PEX40039 controller card directly linked from TonyMacX86’s blog post (http://www.amazon.com/Crest-Port-SATA-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS).
I ended up hooking two optical drives to it while testing it (Sony & LG DVD drives). While both drives were recognized and usable in Windows 8.1, Mac OS X 10.9.2 only recognized one drive at a time and it was a toss-up whether it would recognize the Sony or the LG; the recognized drive would change randomly at boot. Updating my firmware for the mobo didn’t help the issue. Even when reading a disc, sometimes the drive would just disappear from the list in Disk Utility!

Fortunately, NewEgg had a rebate for the host controller I originally wanted to buy: A 4-port Syba/IO Crest SI-PEX40064 using the Marvell 9215 controller (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064). There are literally only 3 threads on this website that discusses this card, and the conclusion seemed to be that it was an unreliable card. But with the failure of the ASM1061 chipest to work correctly with OS X 10.9.2 and with the incentive of a rebate that would make the 4-port controller card cheaper than the 2-port version, I went ahead and switched chipsets.

I’m happy to report that the Syba card with the Marvell 88SE9215 controller is working perfectly in both Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.9.2. Even when hooking up two HDDs and two optical drives, it recognizes all drives and doesn’t drop them. I haven’t stress tested it past reading/writing an optical drive while reading data from an HDD, but it seems to be working correctly.

Both the ASM1061 and Marvell 9215 cards add their own verbose boot before the OS loads. The ASM1061 adds an average of 12 seconds to the boot time. The Marvell 9215 adds an average of 5 seconds to the boot time.

The Marvell 88SE9215 worked out for me. No drivers needed on either OS.

My mobo of Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH has 6 SATA ports, which I thought would be enough. However, the mSATA drive slot on the mobo is on the same bus as the 6th SATA port, so I can only use one or the other (plugging in an mSATA disables the 6th SATA port).

To get around this issue, I figured I would just buy an PCIe-to-SATA controller (non-RAID).

I first searched through TonyMacX86.com and read through every thread related to a SATA controller card. While most threads were about RAID controllers, I noticed that talk around a non-RAID controller centered on the ASM1061 chipset. In fact, TonyMacX86 himself recommended the ASMedia ASM1061 host controller back when OS X 10.6 and 10.7 were in use: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/08/increasing-disk-performance-sata-6gbs.html

So I went ahead and bought the Syba/IO Crest SY-PEX40039 controller card directly linked from TonyMacX86’s blog post (http://www.amazon.com/Crest-Port-SATA-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS).
I ended up hooking two optical drives to it while testing it (Sony & LG DVD drives). While both drives were recognized and usable in Windows 8.1, Mac OS X 10.9.2 only recognized one drive at a time and it was a toss-up whether it would recognize the Sony or the LG; the recognized drive would change randomly at boot. Updating my firmware for the mobo didn’t help the issue. Even when reading a disc, sometimes the drive would just disappear from the list in Disk Utility!

Fortunately, NewEgg had a rebate for the host controller I originally wanted to buy: A 4-port Syba/IO Crest SI-PEX40064 using the Marvell 9215 controller (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064). There are literally only 3 threads on this website that discusses this card, and the conclusion seemed to be that it was an unreliable card. But with the failure of the ASM1061 chipest to work correctly with OS X 10.9.2 and with the incentive of a rebate that would make the 4-port controller card cheaper than the 2-port version, I went ahead and switched chipsets.

I’m happy to report that the Syba card with the Marvell 88SE9215 controller is working perfectly in both Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.9.2. Even when hooking up two HDDs and two optical drives, it recognizes all drives and doesn’t drop them. I haven’t stress tested it past reading/writing an optical drive while reading data from an HDD, but it seems to be working correctly.

Both the ASM1061 and Marvell 9215 cards add their own verbose boot before the OS loads. The ASM1061 adds an average of 12 seconds to the boot time. The Marvell 9215 adds an average of 5 seconds to the boot time.

The Marvell 88SE9215 worked out for me.

The issue is not that the ASM1061 failed but that you should only use HDD/SSD drives not ODD drives. I would not recomend any marvell controller as they hav issues with OSX. I suggest you connect the ODDs to 2 ports on your mobo and use that card for your HDD/SSD drives instead. I have tried in the past and was able to only read from a ODD and not once has a write been successful for me.

Hmm.... that would've been great to know beforehand. In any case, the Marvell controller is working great for both optical and HDDs!

Hello, I'm thinking about picking up this card for my upcoming Hackintosh build. I'm wondering if it is still working well for you, or if you've had any problems since the last post. I'd like to setup 4 x 4TB HDDs with this card (no raid) as storage in the Hackintosh. If you have any other suggestions for a 4port card I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Guys!!

I just bought PCIe SATA3 controller with ASM1061.
I connected it to my PCIe 16x Gen2.0 Port, booted mavericks from my ssd and run Multibeast, installed 3rd Part SATA kext and rebooted and it's not working!

Can anybody help me? Any ideas?

Edit.

I changed BIOS to RAID + AHCI and installed new clean copy of Mavericks.

ASM1061 SATA3 AHCI controller works! - but my Wifi (TL-WN881ND - AR2987) is gone.
After replacing IOPCIFamily.kext to old one Wifi works but ASM1061 is gone.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2014-09-04 o 14.12.52.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2014-09-04 o 14.12.52.png
    348.7 KB · Views: 2,132
Looking to buy sata controller card. You still happy with the Marvell 88 SE 9215?
Wish An Admin could clarify on this card

you still recommend the marvell? is it still working with yosemite? I'm still on mavericks and want to get this card, and eventually update to yosemite

incase anyone is searching and/or cares. I ended up getting IO Crest SATA III 4 Port PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064 from amazon (here)

it works great in 10.9.5 once i figured out which pci slot to put it in. It was really finicky at first. It would only work sometimes, but if i put the computer to sleep it wouldn't work, and i would reboot and still didn't work, but then i'd reboot again and it did. After i trying so many different settings (kexts/bios/etc...) I figured out it wasn't really software. If i powered off my machine and unplugged it from the wall for 10+ seconds it would work. So then I plugged it into a different pci slot and it works magically now. I thought it wouldn't matter what slot to put it in, but i think i plugged it into a regular PCI slot and not PCIe or it used the gen 1 pci not sure, but now it works!

Now i can reboot/sleep anything and the drives stay attached and it keeps on working!

you still recommend the marvell? is it still working with yosemite? I'm still on mavericks and want to get this card, and eventually update to yosemite

Yes, I'm satisfied with this controller.
You CAN'T install Mavericks directly into a HDD/SSD connected cuz installator do not recognize this drives, but after whole installation using sata 2 connector and installing 3rd part sata 3 controller kext from unibeast everything works fine.

Working with yosemite as well.

It's not just about whether the card "works" - recognizes SSDs, but whether one is getting 6 GB/s speeds.

See review "This card is incapable of reaching SATA-3 speeds - read on"
here: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU

=== begin tech support response ===
Currently the card uses an x1 PCIe lane which will only allow you to see transfers of ~240MBps.

The card will also slow down depending on the other components installed in other PCIe lanes and the specification for the lane it's installed in.

In the optimal environment you will still only see top speeds of ~240MBps from the card.

For better throughput with a SATAIII specification device you would need a card which uses a larger PCIe lane or an updated motherboard.
=== end tech support response ===

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back