Contribute
Register

PCI-e to SATA Controller Card for Mac 10.9.2 (ASM1061 vs Marvell 88 SE 9215)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting back that Syba card with the Marvell 88SE9215 is working perfectly with Yosemite 10.10.3 Yosemite without issues, no need to tweak.

FWIW, I bought the SY-PEX40039 hooked up to a Samsung SSD 840 Series and I can't get full SATA III speeds from it either. Writes are topping around 380MB/sec where I should be able to get about a full 500MB/sec. It's hooked up to a PCI Express port on a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH Motherboard

Anyone able to get full speeds from this card?

It's not just about whether the card "works" - recognizes SSDs, but whether one is getting 6 GB/s speeds.

See review "This card is incapable of reaching SATA-3 speeds - read on"
here: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU

=== begin tech support response ===
Currently the card uses an x1 PCIe lane which will only allow you to see transfers of ~240MBps.

The card will also slow down depending on the other components installed in other PCIe lanes and the specification for the lane it's installed in.

In the optimal environment you will still only see top speeds of ~240MBps from the card.

For better throughput with a SATAIII specification device you would need a card which uses a larger PCIe lane or an updated motherboard.
=== end tech support response ===

Reporting back that Syba card with the Marvell 88SE9215 is working perfectly with Yosemite 10.3.3 without issues, no need to tweak.

Are you using this on 10.10.4?

Is anyone else having any luck with their respective sata cards on 10.10.4?

I've upgraded one of my boot drives to that the newest Yosemite and it no longer sees my old controller card.

Trying to find something that works and thought I'd ask before I tried it!

Thanks!

My setup -

Asus Sabertooth X79
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Yosemite 10.10.4

FWIW, I bought the SY-PEX40039 hooked up to a Samsung SSD 840 Series and I can't get full SATA III speeds from it either. Writes are topping around 380MB/sec where I should be able to get about a full 500MB/sec. It's hooked up to a PCI Express port on a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH Motherboard

Anyone able to get full speeds from this card?

You can't it's a PCIE 1.1 x1 card. (250 MB / lane)
You're probably getting 380 MB/s in write because of Samsung turbo write.

Summary of PCI Express Interface Parameters:

Base Clock Speed: PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GHz, PCIe 2.0 = 5.0GHz, PCIe 1.1 = 2.5GHz
Data Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 1000MB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 500MB/s, PCIe 1.1 = 250MB/s
Total Bandwidth: (x16 link): PCIe 3.0 = 32GB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 16GB/s, PCIe 1.1 = 8GB/s
Data Transfer Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GT/s, PCIe 2.0= 5.0GT/s, PCIe 1.1 = 2.5GT/s

I just bought an IOCREST SI-PEX40057 4-port sata III card from Microcenter for $49.95. I am getting the full 500+ MB/s from the one Samsung 850 512 Pro installed, maxing out reads/writes using Blackmagic disk speed test. To boot from the new SSD, I could not use Clover's install method, I had to use the Terminal dd command to clone a working EFI partition to the EFI partition on the new SSD. The it booted fine. The card is in a x8 slot.

Attachments

• disktest.jpg
    disktest.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 368
Add on sata controller will not offer the full speed of the standard, that is well known because of the overhead and all the other factors. On a PCIEX 1.1 (x1 link) the read speed is around 180MB/s, while increasing the generation, to PCIEx 2.0 the data rate will double, making it around 360MB/s, which is still better than the capping of SATA II systems which is around 260MB/s even for speed SATA III drives. I have 2 Crucial M4s 128GB and when raided on Intel SATA II in RAID 0 would do 520MB/s while on Z87 and Z97 they would reach a bit more than 1GB/s but only when tested with 128KB blocks or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back