Contribute
Register

PCI conflict - upgrading GPU causing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks

Im hoping someone with some understanding of these matters might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having. Ive just upgraded my system with a new GTX1080Ti and updated the OS to Sierra in order to obviously run the new required Nvidia drivers... However

I also have a Startech M.2 PCI adapter card which provides me with 2 more internal sata connectors plus houses 2x1TB Samsung 850 M.2 SSDs - this has worked perfectly until the installation of the 1080Ti. In fact to clarify, it the card and the internal connections still work fine, however if the M2 Cards are installed the system refuses to boot to bios, and goes into a power up, powerdown cycle. If i take the 1080Ti card out and put my old 980Ti in - the system boots happily with the M2 cards installed. Im stumped.

Ive tried the GTX1080Ti in the 16 slot, and the 8 slot, and mossed the startech M2 card between the 4X slot and the 8X slot without any success. I don't see how the GTX1080Ti is any different than the 980Tin terms of requirements, and i cannot get my head around why its the presence of the M2 ssds on the card that is preventing the boot or not - i know the card and the drives are all working correctly as with the 980Ti installed they boot happily.

I'm going round and round in circles and having combed the motherboard manual Im still stumped. - any advice would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
Josh

Might need a BIOS reset to settle it down. Sounds like a resource conflict.

Hi thedocbwarren, thanks for suggestion - forgive the ignorance but does a reset equate to just 'loading optimised settings' again, or is that not properly clearing what could be causing the issue? Im guessing if i go down this route then also clearing CMOS would be a good idea? thanks!

Last edited:
Normally I try that first then there are other clear CMOS techniques your motherboard will detail. I have a button on my board that does it. Since you have a Gigabyte board (as do I) it should be simple to try the defaults or the reset sequence.

Normally a boot reassigns everything but I have also run into a case where everything is unsettled till I get a clean reset and boot a few times.

Hi thedocbwarren, thanks for suggestion - forgive the ignorance but does a reset equate to just 'loading optimised settings' again, or is that not properly clearing what could be causing the issue? Im guessing if i go down this route then also clearing CMOS would be a good idea? thanks!

Just a little update - A reset has unfortunately not solved the problem. I can't figure out how switching form a 980Ti to a 1080Ti is having such an inpact - the machine still boots happily with the adapter card in as long as there isn't an actual M2 drive attached to it.... Times like this I really miss my old mac pro!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back