Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (Wi-Fi)
CPU
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Hello.

I have a gamming PC with NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti card and an old iMac 2013 Catalina. My idea is to connect them and use the iMac as a monitor. Is it possible? If it does, which cables should I buy?

Thank you very much for the help in advance.

Hello.

I have a gaming PC with NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti card and an old iMac 2013 Catalina. My idea is to connect them and use the iMac as a monitor. Is it possible? If it does, which cables should I buy?

Use the iMac as a monitor?

Using the iMac in Target Display Mode is possible with some old iMac models but only with another Mac, at least officially.

Check this if you are interested :

Hello.

I have a gamming PC with NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti card and an old iMac 2013 Catalina. My idea is to connect them and use the iMac as a monitor. Is it possible? If it does, which cables should I buy?

It should work, you will need a display port to mini-display port cable. Display port on the PC graphics card, yes use display port and not HDMI or DVI. The iMac needs a mini-display port cable to fit the thunderbolt port, Thunderbolt 1/2 and Display Port are physically compatible and the Apple firmware should in target mode pick up the display port signals and route it to the internal display.

Get the right cable and don't use adapters.

Thank you very much guys! I will try with a display port to mini-display port cable.

Hi, I was wondering if your GPU works on Catalina 10.15.x?
could you screenshoot your GPU Driver? I am planning to install MacOS again if GTX 1660Ti works on Catalina.

Hi, I was wondering if your GPU works on Catalina 10.15.x?
could you screenshoot your GPU Driver? I am planning to install MacOS again if GTX 1660Ti works on Catalina.
nope, won't work

nope, won't work
won't work forever or will be work some time in the future?
I heard that their companies clashed lol
I really hope Mac & Nvidia could get along each other so that Nvidia users (turing generation) could taste MacOS again.

won't work forever or will be work some time in the future?
I heard that their companies clashed lol
I really hope Mac & Nvidia could get along each other so that Nvidia users (turing generation) could taste MacOS again.
never probably

It should work, you will need a display port to mini-display port cable. Display port on the PC graphics card, yes use display port and not HDMI or DVI. The iMac needs a mini-display port cable to fit the thunderbolt port, Thunderbolt 1/2 and Display Port are physically compatible and the Apple firmware should in target mode pick up the display port signals and route it to the internal display.

Get the right cable and don't use adapters.
Hi. I've bought finally a display port to mini-display port cable. After connecting my NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti to iMac 2013 late (Catalina 10.15.7) and pressing Command+Fn+F2 but nothing happens.

Can I do anything with driver settings on iMac or PC? Or there is no sense due to the connector compatibility or macOS problem? May be the mini display connector and the thunderbolt port are in problem?

The status of the thunderbolt ports in iMac shows NOT CONNECTED in both

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back