Contribute
Register

Pause at login, or safe boot and no audio - Help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the delay - got sidetracked with stuff last night.
You don't have an Extra/Extensions folder do you?
Are you using MacPro 3,1 System Definition?
Are you using the latest bios version?
It would be useful to see your list of hardware too.
Looks like there may be a few issues from the above.
1. This isn't a problem per se, but unless you are using the serial port, I would disable it in the bios.
2. For now, delete the fakesmc plugins (look at the MB documentation for a list of the kexts it installs).
3. Make sure NullCPUPowerManagement.kext isn't in /S/L/E
3. It looks like there may be an issue with your bluetooth adapter. If you can, for now remove it and reboot. Obviously you'll lose the trackpad for now, but this can be reinstalled later.
4. Use one of the utilities to rebuild the kernel cache.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I didn't have much time yesterday to do anything - Sorry for the delay.

No /Extra/Extensions folder.

I am going to have to check to make sure I have the latest BIOS. I've been assuming (probably incorrectly) that it is the latest, since it is a new motherboard. I will flash it tonight. Interestingly it doesn't say what BIOS version it is when you go into the BIOS. :( :(

I have the GZ-Z68A-D3H-B3 with an i7 processor and 32GB RAM, the v5770 video card, and OCZ 256GB SSD for a drive. I will look at the BT adapters when I get home. I'm using an Apple USB keyboard and the Smart Mouse. That's all that's in the box.

1. I will disable the serial port in the BIOS.

2. Being a Noob, I don't know how to delete the fakesmc "plugins", but I will look around and find out.

3. (the 1st one) It wasn't there.

4. (the 2nd one) I have two BT adapters. I'll try the other, but the one I have been using works much better (MUCH less choppy movement of the pointer).

5. (4. above) Which utility do you suggest? Does KextBeast or MultiBeast do this?

BTW, I had the same no-boot problem when I had the -v flag set in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist, so I'm back to doing it by keyboard at boot time. When it was in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file, it would sit and do "Still waiting for root device" every minute or so, never stopping. The interesting thing was when it didn't have the -v at all, it finished the boot in about 4 seconds, I assume because it was using a cached kernel. I started the boot, and got up out of my chair to go in the other room while it booted, and it was done SO FAST. Then it just sat there doing the "Still waiting for root device" forever. The hard drive is plugged into SATA 1, but it may be at 6Mbs instead of 3Mbs. I'll have to check it. All USB's are connected through a single USB2 with a 4-port expander.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I didn't have much time yesterday to do anything - Sorry for the delay.

2. Being a Noob, I don't know how to delete the fakesmc "plugins", but I will look around

If you look at the lower panel in MB when you select the various plugins, it'll tell you which kexts will be installed. Look through /S/L/E for those kexts and delete them if they are there.

4. (the 2nd one) I have two BT adapters. I'll try the other, but the one I have been using works much better (MUCH less choppy movement of the pointer).
ok

5. (4. above) Which utility do you suggest? Does KextBeast or MultiBeast do this?

I think kext wizard is best, but that's just a personal choice.

BTW, I had the same no-boot problem when I had the -v flag set in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist, so I'm back to doing it by keyboard at boot time. When it was in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file, it would sit and do "Still waiting for root device" every minute or so, never stopping. The interesting thing was when it didn't have the -v at all, it finished the boot in about 4 seconds, I assume because it was using a cached kernel. I started the boot, and got up out of my chair to go in the other room while it booted, and it was done SO FAST. Then it just sat there doing the "Still waiting for root device" forever. The hard drive is plugged into SATA 1, but it may be at 6Mbs instead of 3Mbs. I'll have to check it. All USB's are connected through a single USB2 with a 4-port expander.

The boot flags need to go into /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

I have pretty much the same problems with my GA-Z68AP-D3. Lion install was fairly quick and easy although I never got sound through HDMI. My first problem with Mountain Lion was the keyboard/mouse not responding although the mouse pointer moved and keystrokes were stored for when 'they came to life'. I found the 'waiting for root device' was due to the UseKernelCache=Yes setting in the boot.plist file installed by the UserDSDT installation of Chimera so i removed it which resolved thatissue but not the mouse/keyboard.
I struggled with BIOS and then moved to UEFI hoping it would resolve all my problems, it did not, I still have exactly the same problems.
In fact, I think things are worse, as my initial install of Moutain Lion resulted in great HD graphics, although that was lost after Multibeast. Now my installs all result in 1024x768 which may be due to my Display not being recognised, for which reason I do not know. Could this be related to 'AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB class HDCPCtrl is a duplicate' (the last error I see when I boot using -v)? If so, does anybody know what to do?
So many people have success with the board, I wonder if it is related to my IvyBridge 3770k ...perhaps keyboard/mouse related to UK (nobody has answered so far, if they get the problem with US keyboards).
BTW the work around appears to be using the -f switch but I do not know exactly what this does or what the impact is.
My guess is that it disables flags in the boot.plist file used by Chimera (aka Chameleon), but I am not sure if it is all of them (given experience with kernelcache).
Can someone tell me where/which boot.plist file is used by the MultiBeast (5.0.2) installation of Chimera?
I have installed this instead of UserDSDT as I hope to gain more control, but I am surprised to find that the boot.plist file is not in /Extra.

***EDIT*** I downloaded ML install again from App store, and created new USB with the current Unibeast.
NB don't think this made any difference as I tried to install once again and had the same problems.
As nobody has told me what Chimera/Chameleon uses to boot, I had the thought to completely obliterated my hard drive, using Ubuntu 'parted' to completely remove all partitions including the boot partition.
I installed from scratch using Unibeast with -f to gain immediate keyboard/mouse control (given my end result, maybe it wasn't necessary). I then;
Rebooted using Unibeast with -f and went through OSX setup
Once finished, I used the latest MultiBeast 5.0.2 and chose the new UserDSDT option.
Note - at this point my display was only 1024x768 and no Display was recognised.
On reboot, OSX loaded and I had immediate keyboard/mouse control without -f. not only that but I had full HD 1920x1080 and my Display was recognised (LG Television, Flatron M227WD)
I found that I had no LAN so I re-ran Multibeast and restarted ...back to 1024x768 :thumbdown:
I noted that my Display information was showing 512MB when it was HD and only 64MB when it was 1024x68 so I powered down, started, and went into UEFI to change the graphics to 512MB.
When I restarted, my screen was completely garbled and I had to power off and change back to 64MB.
At some point I got the 'central black box error' and everything froze with the message to press power to shut down.
On restart, I was back to full HD (512MB), I reinstalled FakeSMC from Multibeast for good measure and restarted, still in full HD (and Youtube does not flicker anymore).
I'm really not sure where that leaves me, perhaps my system will prove to be unstable.

I have also installed the USB3 kext from MultiBeast and have been able to access my flash drive (not USB3). this caused a kernel panic with previous MultiBeast.

If the system proves to be stable, I am also there ...but I still have no sound through HDMI (output/green jack works as "Internal Speakers")...and from what I have read, I have to create a DSDT ....arrrgggghhhh, I thought UEFI got rid of the need for that :banghead:

[SOLVED] Pause at login, or safe boot and no audio - Help me

I ended up with a system that was entirely unbootable from the hard drive. I found a thread here that did the exact thing I needed to get it going again:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-10-8-1-update-still-waiting-root-device.html

I have installed the fix as presented there and it has been booting like a champ ever since. I did the latest update, and it caused the problem again, but I just applied the same fix and Bingo! it works fine again.

On the subject of HDMI audio, I have not tried this, so I don't have any suggestions. I have an Nvidia 5770 card in my system for the video and I am using DVI to attach the monitor.

Thanks to everyone that made their suggestions. I learned a lot from trying things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back